• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Age Are We In Again??

109 posts in this topic

I was just having a conversation about comic books eras. This is the current era definitions according to CGC :

Atom Age. The period recognized by the industry as being between 1946, after the dropping of the Atomic bomb, and continuing until the start of the Silver Age, in 1956.

Golden Age. CGC Registry term for a period of comic book publishing that ran from Action Comics #1 (June 1938) through 1959.

Silver Age.* CGC Registry term for comics published 1960 through 1969.

Bronze Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1970 through 1979.

Copper Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1980 through 1989.

Modern Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1990 through the present.

Okay...

So in another six years (or so), the term "Modern" will cover three decades of books.

The Questions hm

(1) If you named the era from 1990 through 1999, what would you name it?

(2) If you named the era from 2000 through 2009, what would you name it?

(3) Do you consider Silver Age books to start at another time, pre-1960 (thinking 1954)?

Thank you for your participation :hi:

Oh, and...

"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!" - Shakespeare

And.... Happy Thanksgiving my brothers and sisters :grin:

The movie "Blade" came out in 1998. X-Men arrived in theaters in 2000.

I think 2000 was the start of the Celluloid Age.

The term covers movie-based speculation as well as a renaissance for silver age characters and bringing back collectors who otherwise wouldn't have gotten back into comics without seeing their childhood comic characters in live action on a tall screen.

I realize it isn't a metal, but still ...

I honestly don't know if it will though, or at the least I don't think it will pop the way the Nineties did. Many of the Silicon books that are bubbling are things like "The Walking Dead" where it is backed by a hugely popular event (like a movie, TV show and the like) I think today with the IP being so important the price will always be inflated. Thats not to say that WD #1 will always be a 2-3k book but it will definitely continue to be a 4 figure book after the show is canceled and people move on.

I think the move to digital and plans like Marvel Unlimited will also prevent a bubble because if there is a pop, companies aren't printing like they did in the 1990's. Take ASM #700 for instance. Huge issue, relentlessly hyped to its lead up. Marvel's first print, including all the variants was around 200,000. Compare that to X-Men #1 (1991)'s print run of around 7 Million.

But yea there is always the possibility that I am completely wrong :)