• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting Star Comics
2 2

100 posts in this topic

I think it is interesting you would mention Star comics by Marvel because they were specifically mentioned in this years OPG. The guide mentioned that in complete set of HG condition there is a real potential for the value to rise. As was mentioned earlier in this thread the final issues of the series are really hard to find. So to answer your question the higher issue #'s r uncommon. They are all hard to find in HG. So collecting all of thecomplete sets in high grade would be worth your while. It sounds like you have pretty good start! Hope that helps.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the Star Comics appear to be printed on a different paper stock and/or used a different type of ink than most of the regular Marvel Comics? I remember the ink being much brighter and less natural in Star Comicsl. Also, the paper tended to be prone to warping/wrinkling, and it felt somewhat stiffer than the paper used in regular Marvels.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Why did they use different paper stock and/or ink in the Star Comics?

Just wondering.

I was just noticing this on my Marvels from that era this year...ones I bought myself from the spinner,read once and B and B'ed.Wavy interior pages,like water damage,but I know there was never water,humidity near them.Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Since this thread is titled Star comics I pulled out 2 copies I have of Thundercats #1. They have been Bagged & boarded since the late 80's when I got them and although I am noticing for the first time the ultra light paper quality that was mentioned in this thread earlier, I cannot say there is any type of "water damage" to them. Sorry (shrug)(shrug) . They are not wavy at all :hi:

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the Star Comics appear to be printed on a different paper stock and/or used a different type of ink than most of the regular Marvel Comics? I remember the ink being much brighter and less natural in Star Comicsl. Also, the paper tended to be prone to warping/wrinkling, and it felt somewhat stiffer than the paper used in regular Marvels.

Just wondering.

I was just noticing this on my Marvels from that era this year...ones I bought myself from the spinner,read once and B and B'ed.Wavy interior pages,like water damage,but I know there was never water,humidity near them.Anyone else have thoughts on this?

It is a common problem for Marvel comics from that era and I've experienced it myself. I also remember a thread or 2 on the subject on these boards about it over the years.

Just wondering.

It is a common problem for Marvel comics from that era and I've experienced it myself. I also remember a thread or 2 on the subject on these boards about it over the years.

Now what defect would this be then?Like I said,LIKE water,but not.

Thanks for the info,wish I could find said threads.Should I start another?

Just wondering.

Now what defect would this be then?Like I said,LIKE water,but not.

Thanks for the info,wish I could find said threads.Should I start another?

The publishers were experimenting with different printing around this period. The books that have this problem have more vivid color than books a few years earlier, although they still look very pixelated. My guess is the ink is what caused the pages to curl and give the wavy look.

The publishers were experimenting with different printing around this period. The books that have this problem have more vivid color than books a few years earlier, although they still look very pixelated. My guess is the ink is what caused the pages to curl and give the wavy look. (+1)!

My last post was a quote from rjrjr. I think they re right

So is this a grade dropping thing or looked on as a manufacturing defect?

I have some decent books that suffer from this......like my Barbie collection I put together for my sister,in case she ever had a girl...so far three boys...

But a few dozen 10$ books add up.And the Barbie had some GREAT vivid fluorescent covers...even if Barbie is not your thing,these covers go bang!!!

Thanks rjrjr for the input

Jimmers

Goose Rider vs Spider Ham!! Who would win...I know who I'd pick on the supper table.....BOTH!!!!Goose Rider would be nice and crispy.....

i have a handful of the Spider Ham issues and that particular Marvel Tails. the paper these comics were printed on felt Very brittle... i was almost afraid to look through them as i decided a month or so ago to rebag and board them.

would a marvel tales # 1 and a spider-ham #1 be worth getting graded? i have been thinking about it.