• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting Star Comics
2 2

100 posts in this topic

i have a handful of the Spider Ham issues and that particular Marvel Tails. the paper these comics were printed on felt Very brittle... i was almost afraid to look through them as i decided a month or so ago to rebag and board them.

would a marvel tales # 1 and a spider-ham #1 be worth getting graded? i have been thinking about it.

If they are 9.8, I think they'd be worth it.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed that the Star Comics appear to be printed on a different paper stock and/or used a different type of ink than most of the regular Marvel Comics? I remember the ink being much brighter and less natural in Star Comicsl. Also, the paper tended to be prone to warping/wrinkling, and it felt somewhat stiffer than the paper used in regular Marvels.

Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Why did they use different paper stock and/or ink in the Star Comics?

Just wondering.

Because that's what Marvel wanted. The ink usually stays the same, it's the paper that changes.

We were printing for a grocery store one time at work and they told us to change paper from a slight newsprint to coated called (SCA) Almost like a magazine type of paper. Reason? "The owner of the grocery store's wife likes the paper stock"

It took me years to find the Care Bears 25th Anniversary issue in the wild (not including dealer's walls). Literally 6 or 7 years. I still haven't found a Muppet Babies or Ewoks. Heathcliff, Peter Porker and MOTU seem to be more plentiful as I've found multiples of each.

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

'Bullwinkle And Rocky'? How odd. First time I've ever seen Bullwinkle's name first. For the duo in general, I mean, not as a comic variant. 

5 hours ago, Warlord said:

Nice copy of MB#10.   I think I'd have to add the grades of two of my middling copies to get that high.  (thumbsu

Thanks. Last I checked it’s lone highest, second highest is a lone 9.2.