• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncanny X-Men 302 logo variant
2 2

83 posts in this topic

What does the back cover look like? Also what does the indicia say?

Put those up, and then start to package up my Conan book. :whee:

It's the exact book except for the price and UPC code. Same back cover and indicia.

This is a very long shot. I do not know if the Filipino editions are still being produced.

But the two books have similar qualities (no UPC, no price, similar issue number typeface)

Link to info.

thor244.jpg

4e2db12a.jpg

Hmm. Never considered the possibility of being a foreign issue. hm Just need some proof. I think we're getting closer. Being as metarog has the book and is the man (along with shield agent) when it comes to errors/variants, and have a lot to do with the stl website, I'm not sure if the xmen book you posted is along the same lines as the 302. I'm sure he will weigh in on this.

Edited by Dungeon

I'm not sure if the xmen book you posted is along the same lines as the 302. I'm sure he will weigh in on this.

I don't think the two are related either. It's just a very long shot.

Nice theory but I've had some of the Filipino editions in the past and they are on very thin paper stock and have either National Book Store or Goodwill in the indicia among other differences. I compared the logo variant 302 side by side with a regular 302 and except for the cover they are exactly alike in every other way.

This is a very long shot. I do not know if the Filipino editions are still being produced.

But the two books have similar qualities (no UPC, no price, similar issue number typeface)

Link to info.

thor244.jpg

4e2db12a.jpg

Hmm. Never considered the possibility of being a foreign issue. hm Just need some proof. I think we're getting closer. Being as metarog has the book and is the man (along with shield agent) when it comes to errors/variants, and have a lot to do with the stl website, I'm not sure if the xmen book you posted is along the same lines as the 302. I'm sure he will weigh in on this.

So (most likely), it's not a foreign book? A book meant for a never produced toy? Or a giveaway? Problem there is where and why did they give away this particular issue? Maybe it is an error? If the book is identical to the regular version except for the empty price tag and UPC, they probably would have caught this immediately. This could explain why only 3-4 of these have been found. I've scoured every corner of the Internet for anything, and have yet to find any proof of why it was made. Hence the rewards. Are there foreign toys? Could it be a Canadian something or another? I'm miffed.

Contact the PR department at Toy Biz and ask them if they can track down what it was produced for. I'm in the crowd that says it is an unreleased Toy Biz reprint (and has no business in the X-men registry set).

Could it have come from some of the 3 for a buck or 5 for a buck comic bags that were sold in mid to late 90's? I remember some of them being second prints or reprints of hot modern issues(Batman knightfall and Jim Lee X-men were almost always in them). Just a shot on the dark here.

Contact the PR department at Toy Biz and ask them if they can track down what it was produced for. I'm in the crowd that says it is an unreleased Toy Biz reprint (and has no business in the X-men registry set).

Could be, but don't they usually indicate the books as being 2nd, 3rd, 4th print etc.? They seem to be easily recognized as different than the regular released issue. This one is not. Metarog has the book, and he says it's identical to the regular issue except for the missing price and UPC. I'm leaning towards some kind of error at this point. Anyone contact marvel?

Edited by Dungeon

I'm pretty sure that the scan is of the copy that I found in Chicago. I posted about it here, the st louis boards and fwoosh to no avail. Myself and mschmidt (when i lived in the chicago area) examined it and compared it closely, page by page to a regular edition. There were no differences besides the cover differences noted that either of us could find, or apparently metarog. I pm'd beachbum to see if he had any info on it since he is the defacto x-men expert.

I sent him the scans, and then ended up trading it to him at c2e2 (first year I believe). Metarog also had a copy and none of us have, up to this point, figured out exactly what it was or where it came from or why it exists to my knowledge.

CGC ended up calling it a logo variant, Dre ended up getting a 9.8 out of it and we are all left with an interesting mystery.

Yeah, I think that's metarog's copy. So, if it's the same as the regular copy it should be an error,no? At this point it's not about figuring it out with good speculation, but just finding the right person to ask. Marvel printing guy? Quality control? Toy companies? If anyone wants to do the legwork, you can have my 2 comics if they can give you the info.

I think the sears reprints are like the jcpenny reprints, and have the swinging spiderman. I could be wrong.

Was worth a shot. I have one of the Sears Web of Spiderman issues and it has a similar price box as the uxm 302 variant you're trying to figure out.

Could this just be a printing error?

I'm starting to think so. It's just an odd error. I could see either the UPC OR the price to be missing, but not both. The uk price is missing, too. This just seems purposely done. And there are several copies floating around. None of it adds up.

Edited by Dungeon