• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What about a DC 2nd print list as well???
1 1

69 posts in this topic

I've been trying to put together a Doomsday/Death of Superman collection of printings for some time now. Here are all the printings and my experience searching for them:

Doomsday Cameo Issues:

MoS 17

SM 73

AoS 496

Action 683

These all had second prints and can be hard to find, especially MoS 17. A raw copy sold for $70 on ebay a couple of days ago

Doomsday Seven Part Story

MoS 18 had five printings. The second print is fairly easy to find. I know a lot has been made of the fifth printing lately but I've found printings 3 to 5 equally hard to find. None of them are too rare but being a key issue it's nice to have all five printings.

JL 69 had four printings. The second is fairly common, third and fourth prints are very hard to find

SM 74 had four printings as well. The second is easy to find. The third is relatively hard and the fourth can be very hard to find.

AoS 497 had three printings. Once again the second isn't hard to come by but the third printing is.

Action 684 and MoS 19 had three printings and all except for the first are very hard to find, especially the MoS 19 third printing.

SM 75 had four printings but all of them are very easy to find. Mass produced being Superman's death and all.

Hopefully this helps someone in their hunting. It's a fun collection to try and put together.

Thanks for the list....I've been collecting the death of superman....just when I thought I was done, I've found out that each ones has at least a second printing..... And the hunt continues.....

How can you tell if the 1980's Batman's are reprints or not?

What is everyones opinion on the future value of these rarer later printings of DC comics? While I agree that they are rarer and that can potentially mean more value. Isnt really a small number of completists who would want them all ?

In case anyone is interested in trading etc I have extra Superman #75 2nd printings

There's a pretty complicated system of determining the Batman reprints based on the UPC box, but until you crack the code you have to check the indicia.

For example...

There may be 5 versions of Batman 457:

457A = UPC = Bat, indicia has issue 000

457B = UPC = Bat "New Robin"

457C = UPC = barcode (common news stand)

457D = UPC = barcode "New Robin" (a picture of this exists but

it could be a photoshop creation)

457E = UPC = Bat(?), indicia = issue 457

Variant Mafia message board

There's a pretty complicated system of determining the Batman reprints based on the UPC box, but until you crack the code you have to check the indicia.

For example...

There may be 5 versions of Batman 457:

457A = UPC = Bat, indicia has issue 000

457B = UPC = Bat "New Robin"

457C = UPC = barcode (common news stand)

457D = UPC = barcode "New Robin" (a picture of this exists but

it could be a photoshop creation)

457E = UPC = Bat(?), indicia = issue 457

Variant Mafia message board

Holy!

So would it be logical to guess that there could be many more variants out there if only the indicia tells us the difference as most people would never check non-key books for that.

That's probably a safe bet. It seems like our 2nd print chasers are only interested in 2nd prints if there is a difference noticeable on the cover roman numeral, color difference, UPC code difference, etc.). It would be pretty hard to chase down 2nd (and later) prints that only indicate this in the indicia.

I had mentioned in another thread, many Dark Horse 2nd prints are only indicated in the indicia.

What is everyones opinion on the future value of these rarer later printings of DC comics? While I agree that they are rarer and that can potentially mean more value. Isnt really a small number of completists who would want them all ?

In case anyone is interested in trading etc I have extra Superman #75 2nd printings

I think rarity (9.8) in top grades will keep people chasing the money. Meaning a decent amount of popularity. It's a golden era of finding and buying them now, as opposed to when the lurkers start buying them up. Only the ones that are obvious reprints like the gold covers and roman numerals, though.

So would it be logical to guess that there could be many more variants out there if only the indicia tells us the difference as most people would never check non-key books for that.

That's probably a safe bet. It seems like our 2nd print chasers are only interested in 2nd prints if there is a difference noticeable on the cover roman numeral, color difference, UPC code difference, etc.). It would be pretty hard to chase down 2nd (and later) prints that only indicate this in the indicia.

I had mentioned in another thread, many Dark Horse 2nd prints are only indicated in the indicia.

I had a lot of trouble completing a Fray set because there are both cover variations and non-cover variations. #1 has a different color logo for the 1st print and reprints, but the 2nd and 3rd prints are identical. #2-#5 all have 2nd prints that are indistinguishable on the cover. I bought several duplicates because they were mismarked by the shop. #1 3rd print and #5 2nd print were the hardest for me to find last year.

A friend of mine got shafted on a Walking Dead #7 2nd print because the UPC had the "00711" that we both had assumed indicated 1st print. Hey Image, don't use the codes if you aren't going to use them like everyone else uses them!

Additional printings do seem to be notated in the indica, but not always with DC.

Again, as with the '86 to'89 Batman reprints, you must also check the ads,

and the inserts if any to make absolutely sure. Even 20 years ago there were

collectors that wanted a second printing in premium shape, and when we'd get

a collection in at the store, it was my wifes job to double check all the books

to make sure they were complete, and if any were different from the norm.

Okay, so I am making a master list (doesn't include all those crazy Batman multipack books with four or five printings). Here's where I'm at so far...

Action Comics #683 2nd

Action Comics #684 2nd and 3rd

Action Comics #685 2nd and 3rd

Adventures of Superman #496 2nd

Adventures of Superman #497 2nd and 3rd

Adventures of Superman #498 2nd

Batman #489 2nd

Batman #490 2nd

Batman #491 2nd and 3rd

Batman #492 2nd

Batman #493 2nd

Batman #497 2nd and 3rd

Batman #500 2nd

Green Lantern #46 2nd

Justice League #69 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Justice League #70 2nd and 3rd

Man of Steel #17 2nd

Man of Steel #18 2nd, 3rd, 4th,and 5th

Man of Steel #19 2nd and 3rd

Superman #53 2nd

Superman #73 2nd

Superman #74 2nd, 3rd and 4th

Superman #75 2nd, 3rd and 4th

Vengeance of Bane 2nd and 3rd

What else???

Jim

Here's a few additional ones:

Armageddon 2001 (1991 series) #1 2nd print - Roman numeral II on cover

Armageddon 2001 (1991 series) #1 3rd print - Roman numeral III and silver ink

Batman Adventures (1992 series) #14 2nd print - Roman numeral II

Batman Adventures (1992 series) #16 2nd print - Roman numeral II

Flash (1987 series) #94 2nd print - Roman numeral II

Robin (1991 miniseries) #1 2nd print - Roman numeral II

Robin (1991 miniseries) #1 3rd print - Roman numeral III

Robin (1991 miniseries) #2 2nd print - Roman numeral II

I'm sure there must be more...

And I forgot Detective Comics:

#658 - 2nd print

#659 - 2nd and 3rd prints

#660 - 2nd and 3rd prints

#664 - 2nd print

I think these books are all marked with Roman numerals on the cover

#695 and #696 ("Contagion") have second prints too, but they may be more "Modern" than "Copper"?

Okay, so I am making a master list (doesn't include all those crazy Batman multipack books with four or five printings). Here's where I'm at so far...

Action Comics #683 2nd

Action Comics #684 2nd and 3rd

Action Comics #685 2nd and 3rd

Adventures of Superman #496 2nd

Adventures of Superman #497 2nd and 3rd

Adventures of Superman #498 2nd

Batman #489 2nd

Batman #490 2nd

Batman #491 2nd and 3rd

Batman #492 2nd

Batman #493 2nd

Batman #497 2nd and 3rd

Batman #500 2nd

Green Lantern #46 2nd

Justice League #69 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Justice League #70 2nd and 3rd

Man of Steel #17 2nd

Man of Steel #18 2nd, 3rd, 4th,and 5th

Man of Steel #19 2nd and 3rd

Superman #53 2nd

Superman #73 2nd

Superman #74 2nd, 3rd and 4th

Superman #75 2nd, 3rd and 4th

Vengeance of Bane 2nd and 3rd

What else???

Jim

Adventures of Superman #498 also had a 3rd and a 4th

Adventures of Superman #499 had a 2nd and a 3rd

Justice League #70 also had a 4th

From my knowledge, the Batman 2nd and later printings have the bat signal in the upc with the vertical bars as shown in those pics. Some though have "DC comics aren't just for kids" as the later printings if I remember properly. Best way to figure it out on those is to know what the 1st print has in the UPC, any other art/configuration that differs is a sure bet that it is a later printing.

Some of those Bats had actual reprinting's, and some I believe are multi-pack reprints later on. I have a few of these myself.

edit: just checked these and I have Batman 409 and 410 3rd printings listed in indicia. Definitely have the bat signal with vertical bars in upc. They also have another marker to tell just by the cover-the price listed is in US cents only. No Canada or UK prices. The ads are a definite giveaway too. Ads are from 1989 while the books were copyrighted in 1987.

I also have a #423 McFarlane cover that is a 2nd or later printing. The indicia says nothing, but the ads are from '89 as well, not 1987/88. Upc box has "DC comics aren't for kids", and the price again is in US cents only.

Edited by gradejunky