• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

Paid $400 for this about 2 1/2 years ago and no I did not rip anyone off.

It's a lengthy story if anyone wants to hear about it.

.5 incomplete no back cover. FC detached. Interior very solid and all pages securely attached.

mybat1.jpg

mybat1fc.jpg

mybat1bc.jpg

I'm game for this story. :popcorn:

OK here is how to get a Batman #1 for $400, works every time.

I sell comics at various small 1 day comic shows in the mid-west. July 2011 I decided to do a show in Indianapolis that I do approximately every third time they have a show.

Another dealer (Joe) at the show whom I’ve known for about 5 years approached me to tell me he was selling a small GA collection for some old man that walked into his store a few weeks back. Joe had a few comics listed and sold on a site called Comic Collector Live.

I asked what books were in the collection and he started rattling off several interesting titles and when he got to Batman he said he had 1-10. I mentioned that I was very interested in the #1 and would pay a nice price for the comic based on condition. Joe stated he thought it was in the VG range but he did not have the comic in his possession.

He was selling the collection a few comics at a time and when he would sell a few the old man would deliver more.

I expressed several times that day at the show to him how interested in the Bat 1 that it got comical and Joe assured me I would get 1st crack at the comic before listing it online.

I wanted to view the entire collection that day but he did not have the comics and the owner was not comfortable letting all of them leave his possession at once.

I did not push the issue but did expect the Joe to get back to me by the end of the next week with details about the Bat #1. When he called me the next Thursday he thought I probably would not be interested as he now discovered the comic had no back cover. Yes I was disappointed but still interested.

At this time another dealer had noticed some of his comics on the Comic Collector Live site and inquired about other comics. Joe stated to this dealer what else was in the collection and that dealer arranged to fly to Indiana and view the comics. Joe told me who it was and I knew the dealer personally. Since Joe now knew I was still interested in the Bat 1 he said I would still get the first chance to buy it. He thought it would be somewhere in the 4K range asking price.

Some of the highlights of the collection were All-Star 8, Hit 1, Sup 3-10, Actions from 27 up, A few Caps starting with #5. Most of these comics were low grades according to Joe probably in the .5-4.0 range.

I had mildly expressed interest to Joe at the comic show that I would be interested in purchasing the entire collection. He stated this was not what the owner wanted to do so I did not press the issue since I was assured 1st crack at the Bat 1.

Knowing the dealer that was flying in to see the collection I immediately called him to discuss the comics. I really don’t want to name this person as he may not want to be known. He’s more a collector and is very fair and reasonable in his dealings. He was under the impression that he would be buying the whole collection but I informed him the Bat #1 was mine if I would agree to Joes price. Joe had mentioned me to him so he was not surprised that I called.

We agreed that he would view the entire collection and 1 of 2 things would happen. I would purchase and get the Bat #1 and split the collection 70% (him) and 30% (me) or he would buy the Bat #1 (thinking $4k) and give it to me and he keep all the other comics.

When he viewed the comics Joe called me and priced the Bat 1 at $4700 so I said yes to this price. The whole collection was now sold with the exception of about 10 low grade overpriced comics that the other dealer passed on. The dealer paid for the whole collection including the Bat 1. When we spoke a few days later he decided he wanted to keep all the comics but instead of me getting the Bat 1 for free he wanted me to pay $700 for it since we kinda went into the deal thinking $4k would get the comic. We haggled and settled on $400.

I believe the All-Star 8 was the best comic in the collection at 6.0 range. I was happy the way things worked out. It’s funny how being in the right place at right time is key to this hobby. If I decided not to do that Indianapolis show that month I would have never known about or got a Bat #1 for $400.

So that is how you get a Bat 1 for $400.

Leroy

Edited by lhcomics

I did buy this one a couple months back, and it has plenty of eye appeal :)

Batman17_0_zps08adf7aa.jpg

Great looking copy Bill. (thumbs u

I know that Batman #1 is your favorite book, as it is mine, and I'm curious...

What is it about this issue that makes it so special to you? :popcorn:

As long as I can remember, it has been THE book for me.

I mean just saying it out loud "Batman Number One" is amazing. I mean it is BATMAN and it is the #1 issue of his own title. Not to mention it has the first appearance of the most important, and recognizable villain of all time (The Joker) and the most important female villain of all time (Catwoman).

I know that Action 1 and Tec 27 are bigger books, but say those titles to a layman and you'll get little, or no, reaction. Say Batman number one to them and they get impressed.

I'm not sure if Batman 1 is the reason I love yellow covers with red logos, or my love of yellow covers with red logos makes it even more special to me. But either way I love that combo.

If I only had one book in my collection it would be Batman #1.

I'd like to add a Tec 27 back to my collection to complement the Bat 1. But the chances of reacquiring one of those anytime soon is pretty slim

I mean just saying it out loud "Batman Number One" is amazing. I mean it is BATMAN and it is the #1 issue of his own title. Not to mention it has the first appearance of the most important, and recognizable villain of all time (The Joker) and the most important female villain of all time (Catwoman).

I know that Action 1 and Tec 27 are bigger books, but say those titles to a layman and you'll get little, or no, reaction. Say Batman number one to them and they get impressed.

I'm not sure if Batman 1 is the reason I love yellow covers with red logos, or my love of yellow covers with red logos makes it even more special to me. But either way I love that combo.

I'd like to add a Tec 27 back to my collection to complement the Bat 1. But the chances of reacquiring one of those anytime soon is pretty slim

Ciorac likes this one so much, he actually travels with it, allowing peons like me to gaze in wonder "close up".

A very generous fellow. :applause:

100_15991016x762_zpsaab7738e.jpg

Ciorac likes this one so much, he actually travels with it, allowing peons like me to gaze in wonder "close up".

Bill, you are living the life here! You look so relaxed and geeked :)

That's great stuff Bill.

I share your enthusiasm. Batman is my favorite superhero but the Joker is my favorite overall character. To have his first appearance (first two really) take place in Batman's landmark first issue is something really special. With all of the additional highlights: 1st app. of Catwoman, 3rd app. of Robin, classic cover, classic back cover, last Pre-Robin Tec story, reprinted origin from Tec #33, etc. -- there's just so much to love about this book.

Yup, Bat1 has a lot going for it. Thats why I voted it book of the year in the other thread.

That's great stuff Bill.

I share your enthusiasm. Batman is my favorite superhero but the Joker is my favorite overall character. To have his first appearance (first two really) take place in Batman's landmark first issue is something really special. With all of the additional highlights: 1st app. of Catwoman, 3rd app. of Robin, classic cover, classic back cover, last Pre-Robin Tec story, reprinted origin from Tec #33, etc. -- there's just so much to love about this book.

Yup, Bat1 has a lot going for it. Thats why I voted it book of the year in the other thread.

Edited by Marvel Zombie

A man and his funny books. The rest of the world will just never know.

That beer looks yummy. :shy:

(and nice watch)!!!

Edited by Moetown

(and nice watch)!!!

The beer was quite yummy. The watch is an Audi watch given to me when I bought my S5 this year :cloud9:

Hey guys,

Since I haven't seen a thread dedicated exclusively to this issue, I wanted to take the opportunity to share with you my greatest acquisition to-date by starting the "Batman #1 Club".

Big time thanks to Adam (Filter81) for working out a cash/trade deal back in October to make this acquisition possible for me. :cloud9:

The restoration is just slight color touch that's easy to spot and IMO, doesn't take away from the original feel of the book as it doesn't improve the eye appeal.

There is no dot on the "No 1", which I like since there are fewer copies out there without it.

Batman1_zps31cec223.jpg

Congrats! :applause:

(and nice watch)!!!

The beer was quite yummy. The watch is an Audi watch given to me when I bought my S5 this year :cloud9:

Nice ride Bill! How do you like the performance of your S5? I have a S4 and loving it :cloud9:

(and nice watch)!!!

Nice ride Bill! How do you like the performance of your S5? I have a S4 and loving it :cloud9:

It is amazing. It'll lay you back in the seat when you put your foot into the gas. That V8 makes all the difference in a coupe :)

I thought about the 4 door, but I really liked the lines on the coupe, so I opted for that