• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

Ok, here's my current (and second copy I've ever owned) copy. There's a story behind every book and here it is as I was told:

Mary was given 3 comics. She stored them at her parents house. She just discovered that one of the 3 comics was an original Batman #1 from 1940...Mary was a young (20 yrs?) lady traveling in Alaska. A male aquaintance asked her if she liked magazines. She said yes and he gave her 3 comic books. Batman # 1, Fight Comics #5 and Jumbo Comics #15 (all around same time period). Mary took back home to Washington state and stored them away. When going through her parents estate 40 years later she rediscovered the comics. After CGC and stopping briefly through two dealers, I acquired the book :)

1AE10CFF-1536-42E0-B831-E301FDD16659_zpsgigajyew.jpg

Wonderful unrestored copy Ben! (worship) and a good story too!

Here's my copy. I had to go purple to get a nice looking one.Not that I mind,I actually like restored comics. :screwy: Mid to high grade blue labels are out of reach for me,and even if I built a war chest by selling off part of my collection I don't think I'd be comfortable putting so much into one funny book.

2013-12-12083809_zps78ec870d.jpg

Here's my copy. I had to go purple to get a nice looking one.Not that I mind,I actually like restored comics. :screwy: Mid to high grade blue labels are out of reach for me,and even if I built a war chest by selling off part of my collection I don't think I'd be comfortable putting so much into one funny book.

that is a pretty one for sure

Ok, here's my current (and second copy I've ever owned) copy. There's a story behind every book and here it is as I was told:

Mary was given 3 comics. She stored them at her parents house. She just discovered that one of the 3 comics was an original Batman #1 from 1940...Mary was a young (20 yrs?) lady traveling in Alaska. A male aquaintance asked her if she liked magazines. She said yes and he gave her 3 comic books. Batman # 1, Fight Comics #5 and Jumbo Comics #15 (all around same time period). Mary took back home to Washington state and stored them away. When going through her parents estate 40 years later she rediscovered the comics. After CGC and stopping briefly through two dealers, I acquired the book :)

Yes, fantastic copy Ben :applause:

thanks fellas. Has to be one of the best looking 2.0s out. I've seen higher graded copies with far less eye appeal. So what does one prefer more--higher grade less eye appeal or lower grade more eye appeal? hm

thanks fellas. Has to be one of the best looking 2.0s out. I've seen higher graded copies with far less eye appeal. So what does one prefer more--higher grade less eye appeal or lower grade more eye appeal? hm

The eye appeal definitely trumps grade for me, although a combo of both is nice. I actually like books with detached, non-taped covers a lot. They grade low, but can have fantastic eye appeal.

Beautiful book, Ben :applause:

A beauty of a 2.0 Ben! I was lucky enough to witness that purchase at SDCC 2-3 years ago :cloud9: I'm glad you listened to me by purchasing the book. I knew it would cost a lot, but well worth it now. As to your question, I'd rather have a lower graded copy with strong eye appeal

Edited by Dark Knight

The eye appeal definitely trumps grade for me, although a combo of both is nice. I actually like books with detached, non-taped covers a lot. They grade low, but can have fantastic eye appeal.

Beautiful book, Ben :applause:

thanks George :)

A beauty of a 2.0 Ben! I was lucky enough to witness that purchase at SDCC 2-3 years ago :cloud9: I'm glad you listened to me by purchasing the book. I knew it would cost a lot, but well worth it now. As to your question, I'd rather have a lower graded copy with strong eye appeal

thanks Brian. And, yes, we have both been present to witness each other's acquisitions at SDCC :). I always seem to buy a big book whenever we hang out at cons lol

looks really clean Russ :)

thanks Brian. And, yes, we have both been present to witness each other's acquisitions at SDCC :). I always seem to buy a big book whenever we hang out at cons lol

That is true lol It should be a tradition whenever we are together :cool:

I did buy this one a couple months back, and it has plenty of eye appeal :)

Batman17_0_zps08adf7aa.jpg

Great looking copy Bill. (thumbs u

I know that Batman #1 is your favorite book, as it is mine, and I'm curious...

What is it about this issue that makes it so special to you? :popcorn:

Jerry Robinson copy purchased in 2012 from All Star Auctions. The spine is completely split, but I love it. Jerry Robinson had three copies, and GAtor got the best copy as usual. I'm going to keep this until I die or go senile, whichever comes first.

Batman1Cover.jpg

Batman1backcover.jpg

Batman1Page1JerryRobinsonAuto.jpg

The historical significance of your book being a "Robinson copy" is pretty special.

Pretty remarkable to own a copy that was saved, owned and read by the Joker's co-creator.

You'd be surprised. I bet there are dozens of boardies that own a bat 1 (or more than one)

With blue 3.0ish copies currently sniffing 50K a pop. I would not hesitate to call it offending to own MORE than one copy of Bat1. This book is not for hoarding.

only pic I could quickly find....most Ive owned at one time recently was 5...here are 3...

batsandwhiz.jpg

Impressive. :golfclap:

Rick, do you have a better pic of the Robinson copy?

Edited by Wayne-Tec

I'm probably never scanned the Robinson. Cgc 3.5 blue

Blue?

I thought the 3.5 SS pictured above was the Robinson, no?

blue as in unrestored. Technically it is in a yellow ss label