• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,839 posts in this topic

I agree completely - BB 105 would be on my want list if it weren't for all the clutter - it really is some of Cole's nicest work. This is why I generally prefer Cole's 40s stuff - the covers are free of extraneous verbage. There are a few Star books where the captions were kept to a minimum, and one of my faves is the bloody hands cover on a Startling Terror - the number escapes me, but I'll post it sometime unless I'm beaten to it.

This one?

630293-STT%2312.jpg

589a8d58caabb_630293-STT12.jpg.d5f4a92036187d23204d1ae8336224b2.jpg

Hey POV!

Guess what.... we don't have the worst Startling Terror Tales #11....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2280699128&fromMakeTrack=true

Funny thing is, I'd still bid on this if I didn't have one!

I probably would as well. That cover is just worth it in any grade!

sfilosa

I have to agree - not one of Cole's best on that Catman - that you have a HG copy is evidence of your commitment to collecting the man's work. I salute you.

paull & POV - I once had a very low grade Startling Terror #11 as well - I foolishly sold it for 3 times what I paid - perhaps I'll find it again at guide 27_laughing.gif

You got some sweet copies!!!!

Thanks, but in many cases the scans look much better than would be reflected in the technical grade of the book (like Bonds' sweet Blue Bolt 115). However, you must have more high-grade copies to share!! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I agree there are plenty of Cole covers that aren't that exciting (romance, funny animal, crime, etc.,.), but as far as his horror and sci-fi stuff, it's all good.

Anyone know where to find an LB Cole cover checklist? Was one included in the CBM article? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyone know where to find an LB Cole cover checklist? Was one included in the CBM article?

I don't think so. I don't have the article in hand, but I think he did over 1,200 covers (of course most are not the classic covers we all know and love).

That Blue Bolt 111 is in great condition! It's one of my favorite Cole covers, due to the great color, but it's a hard issue to find in high grade.

They're all HARD to find in HIGH-GRADE! I'm looking and I'm paying.

I have a check list of 50 Star books that I would like to own (Blue Bolts, Starting Terror Tales, Shocking Mystery Cases, etc.) Of those 50 books, there are only 57 copies combined graded VF-(7.5) or higher.

I have a copy of the Overstreet Price Guide #11 from 1980 I'd be willing to sell for $25 (cover price in 1980 was $10). It is in pristine condition, and has never been opened. There are 2 very minor creases on the upper front and back cover, but they don't break the color in any way. The cover is by L.B. Cole, and inside there are 3 full-color reproductions he did, as well as 33 full-color covers he did.

cloud9.gif

If you're interested, please PM or reply here. For comparison, here's this issue on Ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=378&item=6902802416&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Thanks for the offer, but I don't collect old guides. I actually have #8,9,10 from when I was a kid.

Pretty much, that's when I became an L.B. Cole fan but didn't have the money then to buy any really good books.

I have a copy of the Overstreet Price Guide #11 from 1980 I'd be willing to sell for $25 (cover price in 1980 was $10). It is in pristine condition, and has never been opened. There are 2 very minor creases on the upper front and back cover, but they don't break the color in any way. The cover is by L.B. Cole, and inside there are 3 full-color reproductions he did, as well as 33 full-color covers he did.

cloud9.gif

That reminds me to post these in the Official LB Cole thread... cloud9.gif

812007003o.jpg

811056002o.jpg

630915-cole_painting.jpg

630915-cole_painting.jpg.643b4086e59edb81fd9d1c81cd42956e.jpg