• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eldon Pedigree
1 1

108 posts in this topic

I've shared this knowledge and these images elsewhere on these boards, so if you've already heard me speak on this, forgiveness please :wishluck:

Ok, a number of years ago, I noticed at a local comic show, that an out of town dealer from Iowa had a number of True Comics with the name Eldon written on the front cover. One of my very best friends, Billy Parker (Strawman to some of you) had a few Timely Comics with that same name written in what I remembered to be the same handwriting. I didn't collect True Comics, so I just made a mental note of it and moved on looking for books I actually DID collect.

Flash forward a few years to find that same out-of-town dealer back at a local show. While looking thru their offerings, I notice that they still had several (but not as many) Eldon books. I became intrigued, struck a deal for all but one very expensive one and went on my way.

I guess I could've cracked the Eldon case open years ago, because on the initial sighting of them, I noticed that they had an address label on the bottom right on all of them. I DID remember that the last name on the address label was Hamann. I snapped several photos at the time of purchase and will share them again right here. This first photo is of all five books stacked so that the Eldon signature can be seen. Notice that one of them is actually signed Eldon Hamann!!! :o

eldontrue.jpg

This books has two address labels attached, one on top of the other, but with the same exact address.

true66.jpg

This one has the name Iva Hamann in the logo too. That could be Eldon's mother or a sister's name.

And finally, the last book in the stack. The reason I kept stating that the other four books address labels were the same is because, you guessed it, there was a change on the final books address label. This True Comics #72 address label reads as follows:

66 7K24 3Y 1O5 RE T

JOHN F HAMANN

R D22

ROCK RAPIDS IOWA

true72.jpg

So there you have it, boys and girls, pretty much all of the information I have on this collection. As I mentioned earlier, the out-of-town dealer is from Iowa and at one time or another, may have, and I do say MAY have, purchased some portion or all of the collection, not thinking anything more of it than just buying comics that were offered his way. The reason I say "MAY have" purchased a large portion of the collection is that on that initial sighting, he had quite a few True Comics issues, if memory serves, perhaps a few dozen. I'll try to answer any questions put in front of me (who knows, I might be forgetting something), but I honestly can't recall any more than what I've offered forth here. Oh, the dealer was Oak Leaf Comics's Mike Tickel (sorry if not spelled correctly) and last I checked, he only had one other True Comic. There. I think THAT'S all I've got :)

This books has two address labels attached, one on top of the other, but with the same exact address.

true66.jpg

This one has the name Iva Hamann in the logo too. That could be Eldon's mother or a sister's name.

Good eye West!! I noticed it, but have no info on who that might be. I'm SURE that one of our own board detectives will dig up some background rather quickly now that they have specific names and an address to work with (thumbs u

Eldon was born April 7, 1934 in Iowa. His sister, Iva, was born in 1939. Their dad, John, was a farmer. Their mother's name was Caroline.

Eldon died in June of 1987 in Larchwood, Iowa.

BOOM!!!! And there it is folks!!! Thanks nearmint for such fine detective work!! Poor Eldon, seems to have passed away at a very young age. I wonder if he sold his comics and got to enjoy any of the proceeds or if they were discovered and sold after his passing?

So now we have three confirmed Eldons who signed their comics!

Eldon Dedini 1921-2006

Eldon Tuffentsamer 1928-1978

Eldon Hamman 1934-1987

:ohnoez:

Hamman would have been too young to sign, in cursive, any of the early 40s examples in all likelihood

There are lots of nice batches of same source, or original owner collections out there. Many of us have had "int" books that are super nice, some other large accumulations of comics from the same source have been in the market a long time. These things add to to the fun and personal connection of this hobby (passion/addiction) of ours

I'm a little curious as to whether the Eldon Dedini comics surface before or after the discussion of them being Eldon Dedini's books. What is the earliest sighting anyone has ever had of a Dedini book?