• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eldon Pedigree
1 1

108 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

you know eldon really liked a book when he signed it twice!

Well, obviously still not as much as Recil Macon when there were apparently sometimes more than a dozen of his signatures throughout some of his GA books.  :whatthe:  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/15/2021 at 12:38 AM, Randall Dowling said:

:facepalm:  If I'd just read the previous 2 pages of the thread, it's all in here.  

FWIW, if you look at the signature of Eldon Tuffenstamer, that --script seems to match the more common books that are just signed "Eldon" on the front cover.  Anyway, there's a bunch of examples to check out and match to.

I read through the thread as well.  Unfortunately, the photobucket images are gone (particularly the True comics that identified the Iowa Eldon aka Hamann).  

Is the conclusion that the seemingly more common scripted versions are Eldon Tuffentsamer, where the sort of blocky "Eldon" print is Eldon Hamman (aka the cover-less Action #25 I posted).  The Jungle Comics #47 being the other example on the thread.  That seems pretty distinctive as they look to be all Caps except the "d"

And lastly Eldon Dedini tended to write his whole name?

Thanks

1 hour ago, path4play said:

I read through the thread as well.  Unfortunately, the photobucket images are gone (particularly the True comics that identified the Iowa Eldon aka Hamann).  

Is the conclusion that the seemingly more common scripted versions are Eldon Tuffentsamer, where the sort of blocky "Eldon" print is Eldon Hamman (aka the cover-less Action #25 I posted).  The Jungle Comics #47 being the other example on the thread.  That seems pretty distinctive as they look to be all Caps except the "d"

Thanks

I'm going to punt this over to @Straw-Man and @nearmint as they both know much more than I do.  I've only ever owned one of Eldon's books.

645109346_Jungle44_Eldon.thumb.jpg.0ccf1d6762283e639302625ea793e018.jpg

On 1/17/2021 at 8:15 AM, path4play said:

Thanks

This is my question as well?

Experts??  Anyone?

PDG

On 4/9/2022 at 7:44 PM, PDGray said:

My latest addition courtesy of member Tomb of Dracula50 - Mike!  Hope to do more business again soon!!

I am very happy to have added this to my collection.  

PDG

20220409_183510.thumb.jpg.5e0e2faaf8f95537fcc6aa7a34391541.jpg

He took good care of his books like that one (thumbsu

Excited to have added an Eldon (scripted Eldon Tuffentsamer?) to 'ye ole collection to pair with my Eldon (blocky Eldon Hamman)? re-posted at bottom.

@Straw-Man and @nearmint do I have this right?

Looking for some help.  I'm still trying to sort out the "right" Eldons from this thread as it gets a bit confusing with Hammon, Tuffenstamer and Dedini and pics from photo bucket missing.  Can anyone definitively separate the three - or confirm which these two belong to?

Jumbo67Eldon.jpg

comics387-scaled-1.jpg

Edited by path4play

On 1/21/2023 at 6:50 AM, path4play said:

Excited to have added an Eldon (scripted Eldon Tuffentsamer?) to 'ye ole collection to pair with my Eldon (blocky Eldon Hamman)? re-posted at bottom.

@Straw-Man and @nearmint do I have this right?

Looking for some help.  I'm still trying to sort out the "right" Eldons from this thread as it gets a bit confusing with Hammon, Tuffenstamer and Dedini and pics from photo bucket missing.  Can anyone definitively separate the three - or confirm which these two belong to?

Jumbo67Eldon.jpg

comics387-scaled-1.jpg

Although the cursive "Eldon" reflected on your Jumbo is the most common, CGC has also credited the block letter version as being part of the same pedigree collection:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F7%2F3%2F1%2F8%2F27318465%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 1/21/2023 at 5:53 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Although the cursive "Eldon" reflected on your Jumbo is the most common, CGC has also credited the block letter version as being part of the same pedigree collection:

Agree, its the who is who part that is a little confusing.

I'm going to say based on (reading this thread 3x now) that most common cursive is Eldon Tuffentsamer.  That is verified with images of sig and full name on same book.

Up for grabs is the the blocky ELDON (I guess Dedini).  The True Comics out of Iowa (Hamann) @Frisco Larsonare a red herring as the images are lost to photo-bucket and there is no way compare the scripts/cover writing to link that to the name.

Edited by path4play

Further evidence that Eldon is Eldon M. Tuffentsamer is this copy on HA, noted Eldon "Tuffy."  aka Tuffentsamer - like the Eldon at the start of this thread with Eldon “M.T.” on the cover and Eldon M Tuffentsamer on the back. To me, its an open and shut case.

I just can't find a sig/pic of an Eldon Hamman to understand how its linked to the GCG description (https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/eldon/).  Is that only associated with the True Comics?

I have to assume the Hamman is the "Blocky print"  - which would put my mind at ease.

625561661_Eldontuffy.jpg.f0b1dbcc909b1b0433a8ced6f40e7eea.jpg

On 2/19/2023 at 2:24 PM, path4play said:

Further evidence that Eldon is Eldon M. Tuffentsamer is this copy on HA, noted Eldon "Tuffy."  aka Tuffentsamer - like the Eldon at the start of this thread with Eldon “M.T.” on the cover and Eldon M Tuffentsamer on the back. To me, its an open and shut case.

I just can't find a sig/pic of an Eldon Hamman to understand how its linked to the GCG description (https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/eldon/).  Is that only associated with the True Comics?

I have to assume the Hamman is the "Blocky print"  - which would put my mind at ease.

625561661_Eldontuffy.jpg.f0b1dbcc909b1b0433a8ced6f40e7eea.jpg

Very interesting. Are there other examples that have Tuffy written on them?

Edit: Someone did post a pic of a cursive Eldon with his full name written on the back, so the cursive ones are definitely Tuffy's. 

Also the Eldon books whether cursive or block were never "discovered" and bought by someone all in one sale ( as far as we know) but "surfaced" here and there over the years right? Anyone remember the earliest time you saw a Cursive Eldon? Or if they first started showing up in Illinois where Tuffenstamer lived at the time of his passing?

This may have been posted before but this is probably Tuffy. Passed at just 50 years old in 1978, wife 2 years later at 49, and daughter in 1994 at 42, or 43 years old, also in Illinois. 

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/KWZT-MQ6/eldon-m-tuffentsamer-1928-1978

If there are two Eldons it would be wrong to designate them into one pedigree........for the memory of both men. Sounds sentimental but that's but I think it's only right.

Edited by Professor K