• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Fan Expo - April 18 to 20, 2014.

148 posts in this topic

Last year Desert Wind Comics was there accepting CGC submissions, looks like their in Anaheim this weekend :( Is there another dealer there that will submit books ?

But others have had nothing but awful experiences with him

Did things not move forward and the biggest anti-menace advocate is now on the PL MIA?

Best I can do is plan for next year. Apparently Beamer "knows someone". ;)

You can attend next year's Con but I highly doubt if there are any good creators or artist that will attend. Sticking to ECCC.

Best I can do is plan for next year. Apparently Beamer "knows someone". ;)

You can attend next year's Con but I highly doubt if there are any good creators or artist that will attend. Sticking to ECCC.

Oh ye of little faith.

Didn't they also add a show in Regina so why would they be so quick to cancel Vancouver?

The Vendor support has been good, on the comics side. Most of the local stores have a presence at the show. A lot of guys I know who usually do shows have spots at Fan Expo as well.

But none of the passes have sold out. Not Premium, not deluxe, none of the one day passes. They skimmed hard on getting big name comic guests, and I think that hurt them. That can't be blamed on the vendors. That's a problem with programming.

Absolutely no surprise that none of the passes have sold out!

This is supposed to be a comic book convention and yet if you look at the list of the exhibitors for this show, the only real named dealer on the entire list is Harley Yee. Yes, probably a lot of local guys and some of the stores from the surrounding area, but no real big name dealers from out of town.

I thought Fishler and some of his gang from NY might be here for a quick little vacation stop when I saw the name of Metropolis Comics. No such luck as a Google check indicate it was a local shop across from the Metrotown Mall. doh!

Was thinking of going since I have never attended one here before, but strongly doubt if I would get my money's worth considering the list of dealers. Should probably be fun though. hm

Lou Fine,

Fan Expo is worth attending if you or your wife is a big fan of the Walking Dead or (Green) Arrow tv series. Even LCS like Tazmanian Comics has skipped this con after attending the 1st 2 years.

I think 1/2 day ticket price has dropped to $22.40 :wishluck: for Good Friday, if you just want to scout out comics after 4 p.m. to dinner time. Sat. admission $39.20 for a full-day of entertainment.

Didn't they also add a show in Regina so why would they be so quick to cancel Vancouver?

The Vendor support has been good, on the comics side. Most of the local stores have a presence at the show. A lot of guys I know who usually do shows have spots at Fan Expo as well.

But none of the passes have sold out. Not Premium, not deluxe, none of the one day passes. They skimmed hard on getting big name comic guests, and I think that hurt them. That can't be blamed on the vendors. That's a problem with programming.

Absolutely no surprise that none of the passes have sold out!

This is supposed to be a comic book convention and yet if you look at the list of the exhibitors for this show, the only real named dealer on the entire list is Harley Yee. Yes, probably a lot of local guys and some of the stores from the surrounding area, but no real big name dealers from out of town.

I thought Fishler and some of his gang from NY might be here for a quick little vacation stop when I saw the name of Metropolis Comics. No such luck as a Google check indicate it was a local shop across from the Metrotown Mall. doh!

Was thinking of going since I have never attended one here before, but strongly doubt if I would get my money's worth considering the list of dealers. Should probably be fun though. hm

Last year has many artist but this year was just A-okay. Considering they added friday and you would think there will be big names.

I don't even work for them anymore and I'm defending the event.

A. It's a pop culture con. It's advertised as "Fan Expo Vancouver", not Vancouver Comic-Con (which Leonard Wong uses for his shows). Comics are one aspect, and like the other Fan Expos it has sci-fi, horror, anime, et al.

B. It's a show in Canada, so don't expect a lot of US dealers, and it's a show in Vancouver, so don't expect a lot of dealers from outside of BC - since it's an event of many facets, expect about 20-30% to be comics related, the remainder will be toys, horror, novelties, tshirts, statues, etc. Of those comics dealers, vintage dealers could probably be counted on a single hand. There are some, a contingent of folks from Ontario and Quebec that make the show part of a Vancouver/Calgary trip.

C. Expect about 10 comic guests to be imported in for these events - Bagley, Del Mundo, Finch, Sienkiewicz, Johnson, McKone, Crain, Moore and Tan are 9. Some great locals - Platt, Andrews and a strong local scene are a bonus.

D. This is not San Diego or even Emerald City. Tickets don't generally sell out unless there are capacity issues. Most shows generally sell about 10-20% of their total ticket sales in advance. Ticket sales online end today.

E. Anyway, great celebrity guest list if you like that kind of thing.

Downsides: of course, Easter is the big one (I'd expect Saturday to be crazy - strong one day sales with weaker weekend ticket sales because of the holidays). WonderCon in Anaheim is also on this weekend on the same coast.

I'm aware of facilitators there, but not every facilitator advertises or takes subs from the public.

Lou Fine,

Fan Expo is worth attending if you or your wife is a big fan of the Walking Dead or (Green) Arrow tv series. Even LCS like Tazmanian Comics has skipped this con after attending the 1st 2 years.

I think 1/2 day ticket price has dropped to $22.40 :wishluck: for Good Friday, if you just want to scout out comics after 4 p.m. to dinner time. Sat. admission $39.20 for a full-day of entertainment.

Thanks for the ticket price information! (thumbs u

In comparison to the Emerald City Con down in Seattle, it looks like they are charging major league dollars for what appears to be a non-major league event. Nearly four times the number of exhibitors with bigger name dealers down in Seattle for pretty much the same price as what we are getting here in Vancouver. :(

Anyways, Friday is a no go for me since it is smack dab in the middle of family dinner time. Saturday or Sunday is much better from a timing point of view even with the higher prices.

Must think about Seattle for next year. hm

Emerald City is in a class on it's own for comics and comics creators. Few shows of it's caliber and quality out there.... I'd put it a grouping with Baltimore, Heroes, and Boston, maybe Calgary as well.

But when you are dealing with chain show promoters you can expect certain roadshow qualities. Whether it's Reed, Informa or Wizard at the helm they develop formulas for these events.