• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Fan Expo - April 18 to 20, 2014.

148 posts in this topic

Booking the same weekend as Wondercon is the big downside. Spoke to Harley at ECCC since I knew he'd be in Vancouver and he said he's just sending some of his books up here - he won't even be in Vancouver. He'll be at Wondercon instead.

If they want better comic guests - don't book the convention centre the same week as a huge con on the same coast. Can't have Stan Lee one year and then just not have anyone major this time around.

Depends on your definition of major JakeM. David Finch and Mark Bagley are fairly major guests.

Take a look at the WonderCon guest list and tell me who is a better comic guest there aside from the Lees? There are some comic guests there, but not as many as one might expect from a show of that size, and I'd chalk that up to being on Easter as well.

Harley often splits his stock between weekends so he can do every show on the planet.

There are so many cons that avoiding conflicts will be increasingly difficult. Wizard is expanding to 48 shows next year. New shows seem to be started everyday. It is best to stake your territory and ride the wave.

Went there early before the mad cos-play crowd flooded the con at 4 PM. The comic book section wasn't much bigger than I expected ... but there are few good booths that has some nice selection.

I'll go back again to check some few more that I missed. Picked up a good deal - the Avengers Omnibus vol.1 HC for $29.95 (sealed and brand new).

Depends on your definition of major JakeM. David Finch and Mark Bagley are fairly major guests.

Take a look at the WonderCon guest list and tell me who is a better comic guest there aside from the Lees? ...

Harley often splits his stock between weekends so he can do every show on the planet.

They did pretty well, all things considered. You're right - other than Lee and Lieber, similar lineup. (Though I'm just not big on Finch or Bagley - all a matter of personal taste :) )

There are so many cons that avoiding conflicts will be increasingly difficult. Wizard is expanding to 48 shows next year. New shows seem to be started everyday. It is best to stake your territory and ride the wave.

And watch, Informa's gonna be the Wizard of Canada and will buy up the Montreal and Ottawa shows in due time.

Anyhow, I'll be checking out the show tomorrow. Expectations are low, but always nice to take a break from exam season! :D

Lots of families left for the USA border on Good Friday. 5 hour line ups to cross south towards Seattle, WA. Not much buzz at the Fan Expo, as it was only the 1/2 day from 4 pm to 9 pm. Still fans, cosplayers, collectors, families were pretty happy due to less sweaty crowds compared to the hordes that will descend on the Sat. hopefully.

Only about ten (10) separate comic back issue sellers/store delears but most had 2 booths. Vendors fuming that the booth size shrank again for the 2nd year in a row down to 8' x 8'. 1st year 3 years ago was full normal 10' x 10' booth size.

Anthill Books & Comics who will also be at Calgary Expo and Regina show too:

Kk7eXIR.jpg

They sold a low grade ASM #1, thus a good start to the weekend.

T-shirt, purse and bathrobe vendor will need to succeed on Sat. and Sun. as not much excitement in the crowd when I got there after dinner Friday at 7:05 p.m.

Ugh. I'm exhausted.

I turned up extra early, and was pretty much the first person to be all set up.

I booked a couple of solid commissions though, which was worth it.

My friend went to one booth and bought a book for $15. It's that Epic comic with Dreadstar or whatever. Anyway, he picks the book and gives the guy his $15 for it.

Then his wife come running over and says WE CAN'T SELL THAT TO YOU.

She insists on taking the book back from him. Then she sticks a $200 price tag on it.

If it was me, I would have just walked off with it. I paid the sticker price, you have my money, Transaction finished.

Sales were slower than I would have liked. The popular and hot books didn't really sell, but weird garbage did. I don't know. We'll see how Saturday goes.

I can't feel my feet.

PS: Where the hell are all the Hawkman #4s? F You Vancouver, Surrender them to me.

Lots of families left for the USA border on Good Friday. 5 hour line ups to cross south towards Seattle, WA. Not much buzz at the Fan Expo, as it was only the 1/2 day from 4 pm to 9 pm. Still fans, cosplayers, collectors, families were pretty happy due to less sweaty crowds compared to the hordes that will descend on the Sat. hopefully.

Only about ten (10) separate comic back issue sellers/store delears but most had 2 booths. Vendors fuming that the booth size shrank again for the 2nd year in a row down to 8' x 8'. 1st year 3 years ago was full normal 10' x 10' booth size.

Kk7eXIR.jpg

T-shirt, purse and bathrobe vendor will need to succeed on Sat. and Sun. as not much excitement in the crowd when I got there after dinner Friday at 7:05 p.m.

What's this dealer's pricing and grading like? I noticed an All Select 12 in the photo...

piper,

Nels and his sidekick Chris have been to every Calgary Expo and the 2 Edmonton Expos. They :headbang: have 3 booths and the fishnet for their wall display. All I will say regarding their grading and pricing is that they are negotiable and no crazy, crackhead pricing ... usually.

piper,

Nels and his sidekick Chris have been to every Calgary Expo and the 2 Edmonton Expos. They :headbang: have 3 booths and the fishnet for their wall display. All I will say regarding their grading and pricing is that they are negotiable and no crazy, crackhead pricing ... usually.

Thanks.

Kk7eXIR.jpg

Saw this display as well. There are some few nice copies I had seen. For anyone who is into "Amazing Adult Fantasy" series - this copy is in nice condition from what I saw.

And it's not the only display... there are couple other nice display walls in other booths. I had already noted on my list to follow up some books I had my eye on. Guess my wallet will *groan* at me lol

I had chatted with few of my friends at there, they told me last year was actually better and the year before. Seems something got bit off-track with this year's fan expo, I understand that many vendors have complained about less space on floor. Some booths I went to - quite tight to squeeze by. But sure is LOTS of people in their cos-play duds!! I've never seen so many varies in one day today. Heck, I had seen a few people dressed up as cast of "LOVE BOAT" (old TV sitcom) :screwy:

After this con is over, there will be 2 more next shows - one on May 25th and a bigger (100 tables) show on Aug 17th. Marking the dates in my datebook!