• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Compare the grades...Guess the grades , whatever.

25 posts in this topic

On the same tangent as the heritage and other threads.

Here are two different books, guess the grade. Notice the different MARVEL COMICS GROUP color bands. One must be a counterfeit smile.gif

Not sure if these scans are big enough, the first books defects are 4 light transverse stress lines, one breaks color on the bottom staple. There is a very slight "mark" at the top staple, from production. Top right corner has a slight 1/32" crease. Gloss and color are out of this world.

Perfectly registered and centered. OW pages

121A.jpg

Second book...what do you think it grades?

Top left corner has a slight production flake, very common with 121 and 122. Top staple has a color breaking stress mark. The bottom edge has a miniscule production tear, also common in 121's.

Color and gloss are excellent but not as nice as the first copy..

Perfectly registered and centered. OW pages

121B.jpg

Blowout,

Don't let "eye appeal" fool you when dealing with graded material.

It's pretty much all about the structure. Back cover of both are virtually identical, near perfect.

I guess we must have posted too many of these kind of threads as there is no interest. Or maybe I just have really bad breath? crazy.gif

So ..I will let the cat out of the bag eh?

The Top book is a VF+ 8.5.....If you can believe it. This was a book I submitted raw and am dumfounded by the grade,

http://www.notchtop2002.com/121CGC85.jpg HUH?

Bottom book is a NM+ 9.6.. http://notchtop2002.com/121CGC96.jpg

Pretty scary when the 8.5's look as good or better than the 9.6'S eh?

For the most part a scan and a holder can hide a books defects , but this simply is not the case.

Just thought I would throw up some food for thought.

M

Wow, sorry no way is that one actually a 9.6 out of the case. tongue.gif

I actually think the bottom one looks better then the top one. There's really only 1 bad point which is the spine mark. I don't consider that tiny mark at the bottom of the cover (which is very common) to be much of a detractor, and the spine fleck would make me knock that down to around a 9.0 MAYBE a 9.2

Brian

Yeah but doesn't that VF+ have a nasty little spine nick in the top left by little Spidey's foot? That is a majer detractor.

Hmm..Wow you are a heck of alot pickier than I am , not saying that is a bad thing. And actually that "defect " is on the 9.6 copy

But one very small stress at the staple hardly warrants such a harsh grading.

TRUST me if you out the two of these together in person, you would be amazed at how close they are.

Obviously we have some very strict graders in this forum, a 9.6 is not a structurally perfect book by any means.

I have quite a few copies of 121 ,122,129 with 9.6 duplicates of each and they are all very close to the same quality.

Really in my opinion books in hand the VF+ should have gone 9.2, and the NM+ should have gone 9.4.

M

The Top book is a VF+ 8.5.....If you can believe it. This was a book I submitted raw and am dumfounded by the grade,

http://www.notchtop2002.com/121CGC85.jpg HUH?

Actually, I can believe it. It looks like it's been pretty sun-bleached in that ULC. Sure, it's nice structurally, but the colors are all sorts of whacked-out. Structure certainly isn't everything.

Matt,

Have to admit that the 9.6 copy is the highest grade given to a book with those production perforations that are so common on most ASM 121s I have come across. Most copies I've seen are usually 9.4 at best. Guess you lucked out on this one eh? confused.gifwink.gif

Borg

You are right about that BRC it is not square like the 9.6 copy. CGC does emphasize corners for their grading, no question there. But I have seen MANY 9.2's with severely rounded corners and creases as well.

But MK, Your wrong about the colors of the VF+, they are brighter and crisper than the 9.6.

Thanks for everyones feedback.

M

But MK, Your wrong about the colors of the VF+, they are brighter and crisper than the 9.6.

You're saying that the "Marvel Comics Group" bar on the TOP scan is brighter and crisper than the bar on the bottom book??? It's almost purple. That's not the color it is supposed to be. It looks bleached-out.

Across the rest of the VF+ the colors might be better, but in that top left area, it's just no good. frown.gif

Let me clarify just in case you're still not seeing it:

The ULC, the "blue" Marvel Comics Group bar in the area where it says "Spider Man"... the color is faded. That is NOT better than the 9.6

Okay, that's all. wink.gif

Okay, again, it's only faded-out in that ONE spot. This isn't a tie-dyed cover we're talking about here, right? It starts out on the URC (in the "Marvel Comics Group" bar) as a nice cornflower blue, right? And it continues left that way until around the words "Spider Man" where the blue begins to fade into that soft purple color. This is not a printing defect. Have you ever seen a book that has sat in a store window for a long time?? This is what it looks like.

Huh..someone paid $6,612.50 for that Heritage ASM121(cgc9.8)

notch_top: how much is value difference between your copies?

BTW: before I looked other posts I graded those 9.2(CGC8.5) and 9.4(CGC9.6)

MK,

I do understand and see your point, just disagree with the fact that it is sun faded.

It doesn't make sense as the colors surrounding that area are bright and vibid as the rest of the cover is.

Thanks for your input however!