• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age vs Silver/Bronze CGC

46 posts in this topic

(What's the average sale price for a Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 over the past 10 years? I would like to see this plotted on a chart. It would be interesting to see if prices have peaked and rolled over.

9.8 copies have dipped 50% over the last decade. Conversely, 9.0 copies have increased in value 50% over the last decade.

Right. As recently as 2009, there were two 9.8 sales for >$26K. Last two sales on GPA were last November for $9,700 and $8,066. :o

So much for high grade keys being a blue chip investment.

No, that is a case of single highest graded copies being a bad investment on SA and BA books. As soon as a second and third copy, or in the case of IH 181, a new highest graded copy appears (there is a 9.9 now), the prices drop. Anyone chasing single highest graded copies of SA or BA keys is playing with fire......

That being said, the 9.2 and lower grade prices have continued to increase since the demand is there for SA and BA keys. I expect a lot of them will plateau or even correct a bit once the current run up is completed, but the demand will still be there to support higher prices than when the price jump started.

Hello Everyone,

I understand the extreme popularity of Spiderman and Wolverine but will use The Amazing Spider-Man 1 and Incredible Hulk 181 as the examples..... With there being thousands of decent copies in existence for both, what do the fellow boardies think of the long term investment in these books vs the Golden Age books? Do you guys expect many new raw collections to come to market from the Golden Age era? I would love to buy some Silver Age stuff but feel as if the market will one day be overwhelmed by new CGC entries and will end up paying much more than i should. Furthermore, as a collector and not an investor, do you really think there is justification in the premiums of these Silver Age books if one is say a 9.0 vs an 7.5/6.5?

How many GA collections are still waiting to be found? Every year we keep seeing more "new collections" surface, even OO collections, some even with the biggest keys. Remember, back in the day the baby boomers were collecting GA books for cheap to go with their SA collections as well.

I look at it this way. a man/woman born in 1925 would have been the perfect age to purchase the Golden age books we all love and adore. that puts them at 88 years of age. I think we are in the prime years for those ollections coming to market. Not to be a fatalist but those folks who are the OO are either passing on or moving into different quarters. those books for the next few years should still be coming to light.

10 years from now i'm doubting we will see original owner collects from that generation. then it will be exclusively silver age kids that collected back issues.

I look at it this way. a man/woman born in 1925 would have been the perfect age to purchase the Golden age books we all love and adore. that puts them at 88 years of age.

Two slight disagreements. First, based on the pictures you see of kids reading comics in the 30s and 40s, I'd say that a lot of kids were reading comics at younger ages than you are contemplating, so I think you could see an OO Action 1 appear for more than a decade.

Second, though, I think those Silver Age collectors you are talking about are more likely to realize the value of their collections and liquidate them close to retirement age. For example, Maggie Thompson was born in 1942, making her just 71 as she liquidates her and her husband's collection. I know guys who were kids in the 60s with impressive GA collections that are already liquidating, including one guy who is selling off his comics in reverse chronological order.

So I think the next ten years or so might well see a bubble in collections coming to market.

(What's the average sale price for a Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 over the past 10 years? I would like to see this plotted on a chart. It would be interesting to see if prices have peaked and rolled over.

9.8 copies have dipped 50% over the last decade. Conversely, 9.0 copies have increased in value 50% over the last decade.

Right. As recently as 2009, there were two 9.8 sales for >$26K. Last two sales on GPA were last November for $9,700 and $8,066. :o

No, that is a case of single highest graded copies being a bad investment on SA and BA books. As soon as a second and third copy, or in the case of IH 181, a new highest graded copy appears (there is a 9.9 now), the prices drop. Anyone chasing single highest graded copies of SA or BA keys is playing with fire......

That being said, the 9.2 and lower grade prices have continued to increase since the demand is there for SA and BA keys. I expect a lot of them will plateau or even correct a bit once the current run up is completed, but the demand will still be there to support higher prices than when the price jump started.

Exactly, AF 15 in a 9.6 sold for 1.1 mil in 2011. I think there's 3 copies in 9.6 now. I'd wonder how much a copy would go for now...

Exactly, AF 15 in a 9.6 sold for 1.1 mil in 2011. I think there's 3 copies in 9.6 now. I'd wonder how much a copy would go for now...

..... depends on eye appeal of the individual copy. One is probbably Brulato's and won't be for sale. One could be a resub by a dealer that didn't upgrade..... and it would be in the best interest of a dealer to make something seem LESS scarce..... when the oppurtunity to restock arises. ... so the label may not have been returned. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I think you're right about the AF 15, though..... I doubt that price will be eclipsed any time soon.