• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE N00B GUIDE
18 18

477 posts in this topic

"Foreign variants", strictly speaking are not "variants", but "editions", no matter what one wants to call them… ;)

"Reprints" :makepoint:

the case the people make are these prints are the first introductions of these stories so to them they are original editions in a different language.

That's all fine & well but still doesn't change the fact that the correct term would be foreign language reprints.

I was born in Denmark and read Danish reprints of American comics growing up - that those reprints were my first introduction to a lot of the Marvel characters doesn't mean that they're suddenly "original editions".

"Foreign variants", strictly speaking are not "variants", but "editions", no matter what one wants to call them… ;)

the case the people make are these prints are the first introductions of these stories so to them they are original editions in a different language.

Basically we call them "reprints" as Americans and owners of the originals.

Having most of all the silver-coppers i ever wanted, it is a new way to chase the same great artwork of Infantino, Kirby, and Neal Adams

I have $1000 cash burning a hole in my pocket to anyone for aussie Bats 227 in any grade

This is not a WTB thread.

-slym

Sorry I did not mean it as a WTB.

Basically we call them "reprints" as Americans and owners of the originals.

Having most of all the silver-coppers i ever wanted, it is a new way to chase the same great artwork of Infantino, Kirby, and Neal Adams

I have $1000 cash burning a hole in my pocket to anyone for aussie Bats 227 in any grade

This is not a WTB thread.

-slym

Specially not for someone on the probation list either.

That's all fine & well but still doesn't change the fact that the correct term would be foreign language reprints.

I was born in Denmark and read Danish reprints of American comics growing up - that those reprints were my first introduction to a lot of the Marvel characters doesn't mean that they're suddenly "original editions".

You make good points. Denmark is in my top 5 of favorite foreigns. The foreign community has chosen to label them as editions to avoid being categorized with American reprintings. A great place I'm sure you might know for Danish books is Pegasus. A bloke at Pegasus found me a nice Neal Adams Action 419.

A very well off country lol

This made me change some listing´s description really quickly.

Not a noob anymore :whee:

Yes, that's right though it's worth noting for those who don't know that the UK has both UK editions and UK reprints. UK "pence copies" are not reprints as they are original copies printed at the same time as the cents copies but there were many UK titles such as Mighty World Of Marvel and others which should be referred to as reprints.

Yes, that's right though it's worth noting for those who don't know that the UK has both UK editions and UK reprints. UK "pence copies" are not reprints as they are original copies printed at the same time as the cents copies but there were many UK titles such as Mighty World Of Marvel and others which should be referred to as reprints.

:applause:

And to throw petrol on the fire as they say, it is thought that the pence copies were printed first.

And to throw petrol on the fire as they say, it is thought that the pence copies were printed first.

:banana:xh5.gif:banana:

In some cases it's true that these books are reprinted but translated versions of American comics but there are also cases where editorial changes were made as well. It can be something as subtle as a store sign in the background being changed to something more in line with that country's culture to whole panels being removed or changed for the same purpose. To just write them all off as reprints simply isn't fair. 2c

Though, if we want to argue it for the sake of the link:

I don't see why we can't call them "editions", because that's sort of a blanket term. They're not really variants, not really reprints and not really orginals (though there are examples of all of these).