• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,904 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2021 at 2:41 PM, Surfing Alien said:

It's amazing how many copies of this book have that kind of creasing on the lower right corner (and the ubiquitous spine crease). Look at this copy on the Ace site at UNCW lol

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/dD-series/dD-059a.jpg

You're surely on a good start with these since you got the most costly one (if not the rarest as you've noted! I think D-7 is tougher to find for sure, although if it regularly sold for $500, more copies might surface)

Maybe you already noticed this and that's why you were laughing... I'm about 98% certain the copy at the UNCW site IS my copy!  I picked it up at KAYO books in SF in July, but beyond that I have no idea how it made its way to me...

The UNCW image and a new scan of my copy, showing the edges more clearly:

dD-059a.jpg

Img096.jpg

On 11/11/2021 at 12:04 AM, OtherEric said:

Maybe you already noticed this and that's why you were laughing... I'm about 98% certain the copy at the UNCW site IS my copy!  I picked it up at KAYO books in SF in July, but beyond that I have no idea how it made its way to me...

The UNCW image and a new scan of my copy, showing the edges more clearly:

dD-059a.jpg

Img096.jpg

These are definitely the same book.  Interesting to see how copies move around.  (thumbsu

On 11/13/2021 at 5:07 PM, OtherEric said:

Today's pickups at the local store.  To answer a question somebody asked earlier, I've decided I'm NOT going to try for a complete run of Ace D-Series books, if for no reason that I have no interest in trying to track down the 40 or so Nurse novels that comprise half of the last 80 books in the run.  (I wouldn't mind one or two as samples, but I don't want or need the overall headache.)  I am gunning for a full set of the SF doubles, at the very least, though.  Anyway, 3 more D-Series and a Dell with a stunning cover:

Dell_Mapback_695.jpg

Ace_D-233.jpg

Ace_D-427a.jpg

Ace_D-427b.jpg

Ace_D-453a.jpg

Ace_D-453b.jpg

You have some excellent reading material in that batch of books.  I had not noticed the cover for D-233 before, the "Robinson Crusoe" cover, it has a bit of the "Road Warrior" look to it.  (thumbsu

On 11/13/2021 at 8:58 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I had not noticed the cover for D-233 before, the "Robinson Crusoe" cover, it has a bit of the "Road Warrior" look to it. 

I hadn't either - don't think I've ever seen it up close. Somehow I don't think the gear chains that are turning on the ground under that contraption would function smoothly for long in the Martian sand (shrug)lol

On 11/18/2021 at 6:26 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

Murder in a haunted house: calling Dr Fell !

0bant365.jpg

Cover art by Gilbert Fullington - the artist most likely to be confused with Ray Johnson imho - his women AND his men are very similar + I suspect Ray may have borrowed this pose for his Avon Little Caesar cover! Fullington was an art professor at a mid-western college who only did a handful of covers but he was very good.

johnson_compare.jpg.b71b56d72549ce1b4f9f7b1f2ebeb5e7.jpg

Here are some Raymond Chandlers. Covers by Tom Adams who also did a ton of covers of Agatha Christie Books. Chandler has lots of great cover interpretations, but this series might be my favorites. Inside one of these 10 titles are listed, but these are all that I have. I'm not sure if all 10 had Adams covers. These are from the early 1970's, hardly Vintage to some people but they are now 50 years old. When I started collecting in the mid-late 1970's 50 years prior was certainly 'Vintage'! Post any others from this series if you got them.

IMG_7020.JPG

IMG_7021.JPG

IMG_7019.JPG

On 11/19/2021 at 4:44 PM, Book Guy said:

Here are some Raymond Chandlers. Covers by Tom Adams who also did a ton of covers of Agatha Christie Books. Chandler has lots of great cover interpretations, but this series might be my favorites. Inside one of these 10 titles are listed, but these are all that I have. I'm not sure if all 10 had Adams covers. These are from the early 1970's, hardly Vintage to some people but they are now 50 years old. When I started collecting in the mid-late 1970's 50 years prior was certainly 'Vintage'! Post any others from this series if you got them.

Big Sleep is the only one from that era I have.  I swear, I'm going to sit down and start reading these some day very soon now...

Big Sleep.jpg

Pocket_0212.jpg

Pocket_0320.jpg

Pocket_0389.jpg

Pocket_4001.jpg

Pocket_1044.jpg

Cardinal_375.jpg