• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,924 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, OtherEric said:

Big Sleep is the only one from that era I have.  I swear, I'm going to sit down and start reading these some day very soon now...

Big Sleep.jpg

Pocket_0212.jpg

Pocket_0320.jpg

Pocket_0389.jpg

Pocket_4001.jpg

Pocket_1044.jpg

Cardinal_375.jpg

That version of PLAYBACK is great! Maybe the best Chandler cover? Prove me wrong! There's a lot of great ones. If you read him AND YOU SHOULD! I would start with THE LONG GOODBYE which is his best IMHO. There's no need to read them in order of publication. They are pretty much stand-alone Novels.

On 11/19/2021 at 7:44 PM, Book Guy said:

These are from the early 1970's, hardly Vintage to some people but they are now 50 years old.

I have tons of books from these years in my boxes of "readers" that I would pick up in bookstores and thrift shops while I was looking for actual "vintage" paperbacks back in the 80's. They survived the sale of my collection in the late 90's because they had no value and the buyer only wanted the vintage goods. The fact that they are now "vintage" is somewhat depressing but a fact :cry:  The "ok" flip side is that I've pulled some books out of those boxes and sold them for decent coin now that they're vintage so there's that ^^

On 11/20/2021 at 6:45 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Today's mail call - I've put off filling this hole for years because I'm cheap but finally bought a copy of the un-authorized Ace edition of "Return of the King" to round out my set. It has a few flaws but is at the better end of how these are found. The first two are survivors from my original collection put together in the 1980's. Only "Fellowship" is perfect Minty but they are tough to find nice at all. These all have super tight unbroken spines and make a pretty good set together now :yeehaw:

451542270_ReturnoftheKing.thumb.jpg.be0ccfb9c01973ec5e07613b46a6a11e.jpg

2101590624_LordOfTheRings.thumb.jpg.d21cf762002bc76d24033d1507a47a7c.jpg

I really do need to find my sets... I have two of these... and see how they look.  Return of the King is far trickier than the other two to find in my experience.

Nice pickup!

On 11/20/2021 at 8:45 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Today's mail call - I've put off filling this hole for years because I'm cheap but finally bought a copy of the un-authorized Ace edition of "Return of the King" to round out my set. It has a few flaws but is at the better end of how these are found. The first two are survivors from my original collection put together in the 1980's. Only "Fellowship" is perfect Minty but they are tough to find nice at all. These all have super tight unbroken spines and make a pretty good set together now :yeehaw:

451542270_ReturnoftheKing.thumb.jpg.be0ccfb9c01973ec5e07613b46a6a11e.jpg

2101590624_LordOfTheRings.thumb.jpg.d21cf762002bc76d24033d1507a47a7c.jpg

I bought this set from Dreamhaven about 25 years ago.  Very tough to find in nice shape these days!  (thumbsu