• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,924 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, OtherEric said:

Is it just me, or is a cover for a book with "Shoot to kill" in the title showing not a gun, not even a bow, but a garrote an interesting editorial choice?

It is, but it wouldn't be the first GGA cover to have nothing to do with the title or contents. This was one of the complaints in the early 1950's in the US that led publishers to go with the Avati school of gritty, realistic scenes for awhile, although the Good Girls came back strong in the 2nd half of the decade before cheap photography (and cheaper publishers) ended the Golden Age of illustration art.

On 11/26/2021 at 9:17 PM, moonpool said:

Here are both the S.D. Frances original (right) and the R.P. Ltd reprint(left).  You can see the lower quality of the reprint is much lower with the same art.  In hand, the paper quality is of a much lower quality.

Image_20211126_0003.jpg

That original is BLAZING :cloud9: Don't know enough about the printing history on these. Is that a contemporary reprint? Or many years later?

On 11/26/2021 at 9:44 PM, moonpool said:

This is the third series reprint, Broads Don't Scare Easy.  The Frances copies were all silvered over, along with most of the 3rd series, because they were consider too risque.  But a small number of copies of the book did get released from the reprint company as is.

Image_20211126_0004.jpg

I can see the color is more muted like the reprint above left, but if the originals were censored, this is the uncensored grail, I assume. Spectacular book. I'd love to hear the tale of how you accumulated your digests one day <3

On 11/27/2021 at 3:05 PM, Sarg said:

Same cover as Willeford's "High Priest of California." Which was first?

Virtually all of the early Beacon covers were re-uses of covers from UniBooks and Intimate Novels digests which were imprints of Universal. Universal later published the paperback sized Beacons. The Intimate is 1950, High Priest is 1956, I believe.