• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,904 posts in this topic

I've recently been looking more into vintage paperback books. Some of the cover art and text blurbs are incredibly risque.... However, based on the values I've seen in my limited research, it seems that paperbacks have never attained the same level of collectibility of comics and pulps. Heck, it seems that pulps aren't nearly as sought after as the comics, either. Can anyone enlighten me as to why that might be? I know there are exceptions to the rule, but in general, why is it that, in terms of value and apparent interest, it's: comics > pulps > paperbacks?

Shhhhhhh..... Don't tell anybody about this....

It is still possible to occasionally find $300+ paperbacks for $30... Etc....

So shhhhhhh.....

(worship)

Wow, there are some seriously great books on display in this thread.

Would you guys say that condition is more or less important with vintage paperbacks than they are with comics from the same era? So far, I've been as strict as I can be, only buying the most cherry of books. I don't know a lick about rarity, and I'm still learning about pseudonyms, but I do know condition.

Wow, there are some seriously great books on display in this thread.

Would you guys say that condition is more or less important with vintage paperbacks than they are with comics from the same era? So far, I've been as strict as I can be, only buying the most cherry of books. I don't know a lick about rarity, and I'm still learning about pseudonyms, but I do know condition.

Condition matters - unread is best.

I haven't been actively collecting these for a while but I still have a few faves...

bitterteaofgeneralyen.jpg