• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,904 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2022 at 3:38 PM, Book Guy said:

What follows is another Original Art question. Below is an original James Avati preliminary painting. Any idea what book this image was used for when fully developed (if it was used)?

IMG_9941.JPG

IMG_9942.JPG

IMG_9943.JPG

Since most of Avati's pb work was for Signet, you should go to the Bookscans website and click through the Signet covers there as that is probably your highest % avenue of pursuit to find it if it was published 

On 1/22/2022 at 3:43 PM, Book Guy said:

And here's some pictures of a Stanley Meltzoff piece. Bought at an Estate sale years ago.

Meltzoff was a studio mate of Avati and an avid scuba diver, later famous for his very well executed 'Fish Pictures' which were often painted underwater while diving! There is a recent book on him and this picture is shown but the image is taken from the Magazine publication and not the original art. It was used as the cover of an ATLANTIC Magazine which is also shown. Very attractive in person NFS!

Apologies for the flash.

IMG_9933.JPG

IMG_9935.JPG

IMG_9937.JPG

IMG_9939.JPG

IMG_9940.JPG

Gorgeous :golfclap:

On 1/22/2022 at 3:51 PM, Book Guy said:

I assume everybody who posts here knows about this book. I read it years ago when it came out and remember it as one of the best books on Vintage Paperbacks. Tons on Avati and Meltzoff and that whole school of Paperback 'Realism'. Copies on ABE Books for as little as $12.50. A must-have reference book.

IMG_9948.JPG

An essential early reference and Piet is truly a gentleman and a scholar. I reached out to him regarding my article on Ray Johnson and he still has his reference notecards on the artists he covered in the book! 

Unfortunately, like everyone else, he had very little info on the Great Mystery Man.

In retrospect I find the book too Avati-centered, since his movement lasted a couple of years out of the 25 or so years of the paperback golden age. But Avati and Zuckerberg made themselves highly available to Piet so their horns got tooted at length and deservedly so.  Piet actually sent out interview requests to many paperback artists and got widely varied responses. Most artists just got a blurb in the back section with whatever he could cobble together. 

That minor criticism said, it's still a great and pioneering effort. There is artist info, even in some of those tiny blurbs, that is invaluable to researchers today since he was gathering this info closer in time to the era than anyone else and the vast majority of these artists are now painting on that great canvas in the sky.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:54 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Since most of Avati's pb work was for Signet, you should go to the Bookscans website and click through the Signet covers there as that is probably your highest % avenue of pursuit to find it if it was published 

It's from LOUISVILLE SATURDAY by Margaret Long as per a response in the Original Art Thread. A Bantam 35 cent Giant. Thank you 1,000 Headed Man!

A couple in today.  I've already got a copy of the Ace H-56 somewhere in storage, but was easier to just get another copy than dig it out.  Super happy with how nice the Gold Medal looks... it has a library stamp across the top of the book, but is otherwise a very solid copy that was dirt cheap.

Gold_Medal_d1781.jpg

Ace_H-56a.jpg

Ace_H-56b.jpg

On 1/25/2022 at 12:09 AM, OtherEric said:

A couple in today.  I've already got a copy of the Ace H-56 somewhere in storage, but was easier to just get another copy than dig it out.  Super happy with how nice the Gold Medal looks... it has a library stamp across the top of the book, but is otherwise a very solid copy that was dirt cheap.

Gold_Medal_d1781.jpg

Ace_H-56a.jpg

Ace_H-56b.jpg

LOVE Wonder Warthog! Had all of his undergrounds but lent them to a buddy to read at some point 35 years ago and still waiting for 'em back lol