• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,907 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2022 at 3:31 PM, Book Guy said:

For the Avon enthusiasts. Not a Mass Market Paperback, but interesting anyway. There's a nice copy on ABE for $45 now.

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

Pretty cool, I seem to recall seeing others, probably Bruce Brenner showed me some since he has/had everything Avon imaginable

On 2/5/2022 at 8:51 AM, ThothAmon said:

Dracula. 

218C1F46-4458-4F69-A4AA-432E700E542D.jpeg

8391284A-F45C-4997-B2AF-DD87154CBB13.jpeg

Never saw this before your post. Very cool cover and book. Looks like a sleeper "comic book" pb but actually well priced up in the couple of places I could find one so I wouldn't call it a sleeper. I just didn't know about it. Others apparently do!

On 2/6/2022 at 1:48 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Hit the local flea market today for the first time since Covid. Really low on dealers and less attendees. Comic searching is a joke so I don't pause long to look at those. Instead I search for other interesting things like BLB's Pulps and Paperbacks. Scored these three today. The Philip D**k Ace Double was $8 and the other two were $2. Most comics there are priced higher and are mostly junk. I bought these mainly to read; the Fritz Leiber book looks entertaining.

@Robot Man were you there today?

Paperbacks.thumb.jpg.e42300081d80397811c1c43a4ce261be.jpg

You can't buy 3 new paperbacks to read for that price, and these are so much cooler! :cheers:

On 2/6/2022 at 10:48 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Hit the local flea market today for the first time since Covid. Really low on dealers and less attendees. Comic searching is a joke so I don't pause long to look at those. Instead I search for other interesting things like BLB's Pulps and Paperbacks. Scored these three today. The Philip D**k Ace Double was $8 and the other two were $2. Most comics there are priced higher and are mostly junk. I bought these mainly to read; the Fritz Leiber book looks entertaining.

@Robot Man were you there today?

Paperbacks.thumb.jpg.e42300081d80397811c1c43a4ce261be.jpg

No, I missed it today. I was set up at the San Fernando Con instead. My boothmate and a couple other guys went before the con. Word was it was REAL sparce. I can understand vintage comics and pulps ect being super hard to find but if my buddy left with nothing not a real good sign. He deals, like I do in all kinds of stuff.

I hope this show continues to recover from the pandamic. I think a lot of the older dealers might have retired from the business.

Good to see you scored some good PBs. Wouldn’t have been worth the drive for me. But you are a local. 

Another scarce digest with a good cover. Note the contents: Lawrence Block (and the suspicious B L Lawrence); Reynard (Fox) Jay, Jay Folb and Jay Fox all make me think of Harlan Ellison (whose middle name was Jay), but I can't find any info online. Presumably the same guy whoever it was! Most of the other names look pseudonym-my to me as well. Great story

titles!

titletitles!IMG_0961.thumb.JPG.ea56d5bc28252d74ff150e21bdbe3191.JPG

Jay FoxIMG_0962.thumb.JPG.21c060f483e6fa74efd13dc95f0f23d9.JPG

Edited by Book Guy