• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,528 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2023 at 12:14 AM, OtherEric said:

Only one paperback in today... but it is, if not a huge pickup, at least a fairly big one. 

Avon_038.jpg

Sweet Paul Stahr cover. One of the "must haves" of vintage paperback collecting and that is a nice grade for this title. They're usually thrashed. What's the HRN on that one? I have a nice copy but it's not the first printing.

On 1/26/2023 at 4:19 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Sweet Paul Stahr cover. One of the "must haves" of vintage paperback collecting and that is a nice grade for this title. They're usually thrashed. What's the HRN on that one? I have a nice copy but it's not the first printing.

HRN is 40, not sure if that's a first or not.  I have the impression Avon generally released the NN books in batches of 4, though.

On 1/26/2023 at 11:44 PM, OtherEric said:

I consider it $35 very well spent, that's for sure.

Is there a source anywhere that describes the various printings of the early Avons?

No, but if you recall, we had a whole long thread about them on here a couple years ago. The first twelve were released with the globe end papers, then 4 at a time. 13-16 also had the globe endpapers on the first prints. Then you use the HRN. If it's close to the # then it's likely a first print. Only the most popular ones like The Big Sleep had secondary printings. Interestingly, the copy of the Pocket Books 3rd PB edition of the Big Sleep shows that there were 3 Avon printings. Yours is the first. Mine has an HRN in the 50's which is the second and the third has a higher HRN, I think about 80, I remember because my undercopy that I sold when I got my current copy had that higher HRN.352037825_BigSleepPrinthistory.thumb.jpg.bdbcfc5aa95d4782d2bb64034750198c.jpg

On 1/27/2023 at 6:09 AM, Surfing Alien said:

No, but if you recall, we had a whole long thread about them on here a couple years ago. The first twelve were released with the globe end papers, then 4 at a time. 13-16 also had the globe endpapers on the first prints. Then you use the HRN. If it's close to the # then it's likely a first print. Only the most popular ones like The Big Sleep had secondary printings. Interestingly, the copy of the Pocket Books 3rd PB edition of the Big Sleep shows that there were 3 Avon printings. Yours is the first. Mine has an HRN in the 50's which is the second and the third has a higher HRN, I think about 80, I remember because my undercopy that I sold when I got my current copy had that higher HRN.352037825_BigSleepPrinthistory.thumb.jpg.bdbcfc5aa95d4782d2bb64034750198c.jpg

Thank you.  I wonder if by illustrated edition they mean the Murder Mystery Monthly.  

On 1/27/2023 at 11:05 AM, OtherEric said:

Thank you.  I wonder if by illustrated edition they mean the Murder Mystery Monthly.  

I think they had to be. I can't find any other edition from before the NN38 in that time frame and I just peeked inside my MMM edition and it notes that it is illustrated, albeit with tiny little illos on the chapter headings.

20230127_170050.thumb.jpg.20e6f01b11f0ba4d4d7827ef6954fd44.jpg

20230127_170058.thumb.jpg.7968e31e88d966684ce435e2439a24e8.jpg

On 1/31/2023 at 4:58 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Mail call today contained the second Cardwell Higgins covered True Crime Mag I found. Amazing Detective Cases, November 1942. I could just stare at this cover all day. It has everything -  great composition, bright colors, bondage, nylons & headlights. I guess the only thing lacking might be a devil or a gorilla 9_9<3 but seriously, this is the goods.

2060267360_AmazingDetectiveCasesNovember1942.thumb.jpg.4bd6c28ab846e4401accec794ba044dd.jpg

That's a great book, SA!  :applause:

On 1/31/2023 at 5:58 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Mail call today contained the second Cardwell Higgins covered True Crime Mag I found. Amazing Detective Cases, November 1942. I could just stare at this cover all day. It has everything -  great composition, bright colors, bondage, nylons & headlights. I guess the only thing lacking might be a devil or a gorilla 9_9<3 but seriously, this is the goods.

2060267360_AmazingDetectiveCasesNovember1942.thumb.jpg.4bd6c28ab846e4401accec794ba044dd.jpg

Loving this!!!

On 2/3/2023 at 12:35 AM, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  The Murder Mystery Monthly seems to be the more common than the regular paperback, but still not one you see often, I think:

Murder Mystery Monthly 31.jpg

Cool.  This reminds me of Shel Silverstein's "Prayer of a Selfish Child"

“Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
And if I die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my toys will break.
So none of the other kids can use 'em....
Amen.”

Shel Silverstein, A Light in the Attic

On 2/3/2023 at 12:35 AM, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  The Murder Mystery Monthly seems to be the more common than the regular paperback, but still not one you see often, I think:

Murder Mystery Monthly 31.jpg

The MMM is the true 1st Edition so maybe it was saved more by collectors but I've found it to be variable as to which one has more copies on the internet markets. It's one I'm always tracking due to alerts I've set up.

Regardless it's a must have and I actually think both are must haves due to the different covers :headbang: