• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
26 26

7,936 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2024 at 7:16 PM, Darwination said:

The Rudy Nappi OA for Illicit Pleasure just sold this April in the big HA illustration art auction ($2500):

IllicitPleasure-PeggyGaddis(1950.QuarterBooks82)coverRudyNappiOriginalArt(HA).thumb.jpg.89dde727e39ddd082b0c7aeb882352f4.jpg

I asked my wife if she thought it would work in the foyer, but no

I had that tee'd up on my phone. An absolute steal that I regret more and more not pressing the button on. 

Goes under the husband/wife conversation category of  "i'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission"  

lol:sumo:

On 5/28/2024 at 7:46 PM, Darwination said:

Not my usual area, but I couldn't pass up some 2 dollar brown paper pbs today at Burke's Books in Memphis

20240528_213243.thumb.jpg.d7b73dea167a3f8d1787605436810939.jpg

And off topic, but my get of the day (and props to the Mrs. for bearing with during a visit to Burke's as well as Shangri La Records during a day off field trip).  Signed HC copy:

20240528_191934.thumb.jpg.fa2951e5352cebb85f1b582cf4076fe2.jpg

Gordon's It Came from Memphis is tremendous.

The MY GAL IS RED HOT singer?

Posted (edited)

Cover photo is shot by Bill  Steber.  It's from Thompson's Grocery, a juke joint in Bobo, Mississippi, that burned in 1996.  Sam Carr on drums who recorded for Sam Phillips in 62 as part of Frank Frost and the Nighthawks.  The gutiarist is Clarksdale's Terrry Williams, and the dancer is Debra Hooks.  Awesome blue tint, and the whole cover design is excellent.

The black and white original photo is in this entry.  Can't say I've ever been to an authentic juke joint, but I have been to a hill country picnic or two :)

https://aliciapatterson.org/bill-steber/good-times-fall-on-hard-times-in-mississippi/

On the same day I bought the book, I stopped by the (long defunct) historical location of Meteor Records in the 50s as well the site of the plastic records processing plant down the street, an area of Memphis I've never been to, even if I've been within a quarter mile many, many times (Memphis is like that):

http://www.scottymoore.net/article590428.html

The tourist marker is no longer there ten years later, probably because it's not an advisable street for tourists (or soft suburbanites like myself) to travel to.  For real, though :yeehaw:

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)

I meant to ask about a postcard I saw in Burke's.  It looks familiar and the back description said only "1940s paperback cover." Anybody recognize the source?  It could easily be a true crime mag cover, too:

20240528_154453.thumb.jpg.66d0f0ad45b98ec7fa4c4d07a7858d02.jpg

Kitschy and off-topic, but I enjoyed some of these new paperback covers' takes on classic films:

20240528_152151.thumb.jpg.20feb1c7510ad8138129b1c9c2c7ad01.jpg

looking at the series here just now I understand a bit better what they're about:

https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/series/bfi-film-classics/?Page=1

Edited by Darwination

Posted (edited)

Do you have any more of the Avon Satanic Gothics, @lbcolefan?  I can't even believe that this was a thing.  I've been indexing them today and find you often have the best copies :D

I found this list which is more comprehensive than what's at the ISFDB:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/165285.An_Avon_Satanic_Gothic

I wonder if there are any more?  I hesitate to try and put them in order or number them since it wasn't done at the time.  I have managed to identify as well as find some of the cover art but not all of it (not my wheelhouse whatsoever).  All of these tend to be a bit pricey, but this was a jawdropper :jawdrop:

Screenshot(241).thumb.png.2649d66b1f3b1de0c73d4b863308d16a.png

Edited by Darwination

On 5/31/2024 at 1:26 PM, Darwination said:

That eyebrow raise at the end is absolutely classic, where the joke builds up all movie long to land a great one :D

I need to watch this one again, don't think I've seen it since the theater.

I think that was the last time I saw it as well.  And you're not wrong about the eyebrow raise being a spectacular landing of a joke they took the whole movie to build-up to.

On 5/31/2024 at 3:57 PM, Darwination said:

Do you have any more of the Avon Satanic Gothics, @lbcolefan?  I can't even believe that this was a thing.  I've been indexing them today and find you often have the best copies :D

I found this list which is more comprehensive than what's at the ISFDB:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/165285.An_Avon_Satanic_Gothic

I wonder if there are any more?  I hesitate to try and put them in order or number them since it wasn't done at the time.  I have managed to identify as well as find some of the cover art but not all of it (not my wheelhouse whatsoever).  All of these tend to be a bit pricey, but this was a jawdropper :jawdrop:

Screenshot(241).thumb.png.2649d66b1f3b1de0c73d4b863308d16a.png

No, those are all I have. I’m pretty sure there’s only 12. 
If a nice copy shows up with a bin around 100-150 I’ll buy it. There’s no way I’d ever pay $1200 for a copy!

On 5/31/2024 at 6:52 PM, lbcolefan said:

No, those are all I have. I’m pretty sure there’s only 12. 
If a nice copy shows up with a bin around 100-150 I’ll buy it. There’s no way I’d ever pay $1200 for a copy!

That one was nice but had some staining and maybe water damage, too (shrug)  Some of the issues are pretty damn scarce (according to Worthpoint) but others pop up a little more.  The $1200 issue was definitely an outlier in terms of price and also ghosty, someone was possessed to complete their run by unseen forces...Maybe satanism didn't catch quite the stigma until a little later in the 70s or even the 80s?  I know when I listed a copy of Witchcraft Today from 1968 last year, it was scooped up very, very fast at asking, the draw of Satan is strong :devil: Some of the novels actually look pretty fun.  My favorite cover is probably The Twisted Tree, but I like this one, too:

8 copies seen at Worthpoint, 2 high grade-ish.  Good reader reviews (and it doesn't sound "satanic" in the least, lmao)

Satanic Gothic - Vengeance of the Cat Goddess - Jennifer Stephens (aka Kathleen Jenks) (1973. Avon 15891) cover

SatanicGothic-VengeanceoftheCatGoddess-JenniferStephens(akaKathleenJenks)(1973.Avon15891)cover.jpg.7f41bfc9eda4f931c38f8a87858379d1.jpg

Enric Torres-Prat?  One seller referred to this as the "cutest" of the satanic gothics :D