• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
26 26

7,936 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2024 at 12:56 PM, lbcolefan said:

Here’s the complete set of the unauthorized Barton Werper Tarzan books.

IMG_1541.jpeg

IMG_1540.jpeg

IMG_1539.jpeg

IMG_1538.jpeg

IMG_1537.jpeg

I love those covers. Did anyone ever decide who the artist is? GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/1/2024 at 8:21 AM, jimjum12 said:

...just be careful, :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

PB333.jpg

Well, I'll be damned, that may be the creepiest devil cover ever.

On 6/1/2024 at 1:19 PM, Darwination said:

Well, I'll be damned, that may be the creepiest devil cover ever.

Try as he might, Richard Powers could produce NO duds. He died a broken man, never having tasted the sweet nectar of failure. GOD BLESS ...

...to me, the iconic lord of darkness was Tim Curry in 1985's "Legend". DeNiro did a decent take in "Angel Heart" also.

Posted (edited)

Angel Heart is absolutely underrated (in my distant memory anyways, I do recall the scandalous sex scenes and a possible X rating, gonna give it a fresh watch). 

I'm such a Cruise hater, I don't think I can try Legend again - the memories are not fond lol 

Off the top of my head in the way of "deal with the devil movies," I really like Pacino's take in The Devil's Advocate, de Palma's Phantom of the Paradise, and Nicholson in The Witches of Eastwick.

A couple of recent "devil" recommends would be Late Night with the Devil (2023) and The Dark and the Wicked (2020). trigger warning for the squeamish

I haven't really dug into Richard Powers' art much but can tell you my likely first exposure, circa 1993.  Sadly, I must have sold or traded this album, and I remember beautiful clear blue vinyl inside.

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

The band had all sorts of neat retro graphics.  Hopefully they paid Powers an appropriate commission and this isn't high-jacked art...

Edited by Darwination

On 6/1/2024 at 11:55 AM, OtherEric said:

Anybody know who the artist is on this one?  I grabbed a copy a few years ago just because it's an incredible cover:

Popular_404.thumb.jpg.3e2c58f2e39a4f87de0ba9f491c7a6a2.jpg

Stunning.  Another one for the huntlist.  I don't have an ID, but it's a cut above.  It looks like this is an extended version of a novel that appeared in Cosmo in 1939.

Bellah's stories are responsible for some of our greatest westerns - Fort Apache, She Wore a a Yellow Ribbon, and Rio Grande.  He worked on the screenplay for a film that sometimes gets mentioned as *the* greatest western, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

On 6/1/2024 at 8:09 PM, Darwination said:

How is that top staying up? :banana:

She must have the fan on high :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

On 6/2/2024 at 4:53 AM, Darwination said:

My wife's like - you're reading harlequins! :roflmao: 

Nice books (thumbsu  Do women get slapped around in Harlequins? lol   I don't think I've read an Ard novel where some dame doesn't get a knuckle crack (or at least a backhand). I guess it was a thing in those times ???

I've just snapped on my skin tight black mamba suit, and assumed my secret identity of Jack The Snipe, crusher of dreams, ruiner of worlds, and bringer of tears. Time to hit eBay again. In advance, my condolences. GOD BLESS ...