• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Boston September 30 - October 2, 2005

50 posts in this topic

If the dollar stays the same, then definitely!

Hobby Star couldn't make a 3-day show work in Boston, and they tried it for a couple of years. They finally gave up earlier this year. Peter went to their last one two years ago this month and said it was like a ghost town...

Wizard is better at whipping up the hype, so attendance will probably be decent, but is there a big collector base in Boston? You would know better than I Bob, so I guess there isn't.

I have the same concerns about Wizard World Dallas... is that a good show for sales?

I think Wizard World LA was a smart move... there's a lot of money there, and a lot of buyers in SoCal (plus they are close to Hollywood and can get the celebs there cheaply).

New York would make sense, but there's not a lot of viable (and cheap) convention space available in Manhattan to do a Wizard style show. Wizard World New Jersey just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Would be nice if there were customers in Boston.

Boston can't even support a one day show.

BAD IDEA WIZARD, Do a NEW YORK SHOW FIRST

NY union rules and prices, make it close to impossible for Wizard to do a show at a great venue and still make any money frown.gif

Oh, Wizard can book Ben Affleck and Matt Damon.

If Showcase New England does the show than I'm sure his spending "millions" will have plenty of dealers smiling foreheadslap.gif

GMAN, George O'Malley and his thousands will cover our table costs hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Heritage will book an auction and that sucking sound you will hear is all of the remaining money being sucked out of the room.

Definitely a formula for dealer success, count me in lol

BB,

competition is good. helps make most dealers adjust prices which is good for the customer. Notice I said "most." Will be nice to see some new dealers and collectors setting up rather than the usual dregs at the Boston show (Teddy excluded of course). tongue.gif

I don't even know what a great site in Jersey would be though -- we already have a wizard world east in Philly, having another in NY is too much, and having one in Jersey is just repetitive of the Philly show.

i was to the last Boston show, and compared to what I get monthly at the local Philly show, I was pretty thrilled. At the local Philly show, i have an outside chance of making a good deal with a whopping three guys: Al Stoltz, Gary Platt or Jeff Weaver. That's it. Otherwise, I'm stuck with the same guys month after month after month. If Al showed up at any NY shows, I'd probably stop going all together. The problem is, outside of Ted and Bob, maybe Jim Payette, most of the other dealers in the Boston show room had some pretty bad inventory.

Odyssey Comics sets up there, but I just can't get over that guys prices for mid grades... and there's something odd about that guy, although he's actually pleasant enough.

Anyway, I don't think the local Boston show is that bad at all: I'd be happy enough if that was my local show.

i was to the last Boston show, and compared to what I get monthly at the local Philly show, I was pretty thrilled.

Really? I actually missed it, I was in DC, but warn us next time.

As for the idea behind a Boston show being sound, I don't know how it will work from Bob's perspective, but in terms of numbers to draw from, if the guests are there, and it's Wizard so we assume there should be top guests, I can't believe attendance wouldn't be up to snuff. Just thinking about Eastern Mass, there are a LOT of college kids in the area and enough comic buyers in general to support a dozen good comic shops. Add in the Amherst/Northampton crowd and then start in on the rest of New England and the potential is there for a big turnout.

Are these the sort of people that Bob wants to see. No, probably not, but I think from Wizard's perspective it's a perfect fit.

rob,

I was actually in Maine visiting a friend. She wanted to go to Boston for the day, and I thought that since the comic show was there, it wouldn't be so bad. Incidentally, she walked in the door, took one look around and was like, I'm going shopping, call me when you're done with this.

But I think you're right about Boston being an ok draw. There's a lot of schools around, so you're bound to draw decent numbers -- but it is tough to have two major shows back to back like that not that far apart. Next year I'll probably do both, but after that, there'll be some decision making to do about which one to attend.

rob,

I was actually in Maine visiting a friend. She wanted to go to Boston for the day, and I thought that since the comic show was there, it wouldn't be so bad. Incidentally, she walked in the door, took one look around and was like, I'm going shopping, call me when you're done with this.

But I think you're right about Boston being an ok draw. There's a lot of schools around, so you're bound to draw decent numbers -- but it is tough to have two major shows back to back like that not that far apart. Next year I'll probably do both, but after that, there'll be some decision making to do about which one to attend.

You don't have a choice. You have to be at B'more! mad.gif

A successful "National" show is a show where collectors will travel to be there. And excuse me but telling me that Tom Brulato and Jason Ewert will be there doesn't exactly qualify the show as ones I need to be at.

Chicago, San Diego are shows that bring travelers. International Dealers ask me all the time "Is it worth it?". Will they see dealers and material they won't see anywhere else. And I state absolutely. Is Philly a show that International dealers should do - Yes. Do International Dealers travel to Baltimore, Sorry they don't.

Now, if there is anybody thinking that NY collectors will drive 4 hours to visit Boston, don't count on it.

Conventions get good "buzz" when you bring dealers to a show that you don't see anywhere else, myself included. I want the "locals", guys who can't afford to pay $700 - $1200 a table + expenses. I want walk-in's, I would like those Ebay big spenders to stop by and buy raw books since they all complain that nobody can grade a raw book.