• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Boston September 30 - October 2, 2005

50 posts in this topic

But those Cons that bring dealers you won't see a lot aren't generally Nationals are they? Their the smaller cons with the obscure dealers set up or that guy selling his collection and blowing stuff out... or the National dealer who only occassionally does the big shows.

At most shows, you can see the same dealers pretty much at every show. Even the upcoming National will probably be same old, same old, and there's less pressure to buy, because you know it's just as easy to mail order with them when you feel like buying.

I'll be there! With massive amounts of books in tow...

BB,

competition is good. helps make most dealers adjust prices which is good for the customer. Notice I said "most." Will be nice to see some new dealers and collectors setting up rather than the usual dregs at the Boston show (Teddy excluded of course). tongue.gif

BB,

competition is good. helps make most dealers adjust prices which is good for the customer. Notice I said "most." Will be nice to see some new dealers and collectors setting up rather than the usual dregs at the Boston show (Teddy excluded of course). tongue.gif

nice! do you do the radisson show now?

I didn't realize my offerings were DREGS, hmmm.

I'll match my inventory against Ted's anyday son.

You might match his inventory, but you can't match his prices.

Or his personality.

893whatthe.gifsign-funnypost.gifpopcorn.gif

If they were all accurately graded I might agree with your statement.

You are absolutely correct so you get 1 point for the personality part.

Ted doesn't have to rely on third party grading to grade his books. And his prices would blow yours away grade for grade, slab for slab.

golden:

Okay, I'm sure Bob would rip off a response here, but before he does, as someone who shops quite a bit with both, let me make some comments.

I think Ted's a great guy, probably the nicest dealer of the ones I regularly see, has a lot of nice high quality books, and carries tons of raw stuff and will ALWAYS work with you on prices. I love Ted, I think he's great. But, to be fair, his grading can be off -- not by a whole lot, but in the realm of high grade, it becomes important. That said, he generally makes the price an incentive enough to buy the book. Plus, I like Ted, so I'm likely to buy from him. And, a lot of times he simply has the books raw, and carries a lot more with him to the show, so lately, I've been buying a little more from Ted.

Bob does not "have to" slab his books. Bob Storms is one of the best, if not the best of the east coast dealers, raw graders. Of all the books I've bought from Bob raw, all came back the grade quoted or higher. Listen, is Bob going to win "world's friendliest dealer". No. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Acerbic, biting Bob is funny and insightful. Dealers don't need to kiss my a** since I'm not going to spend thousands at a shot with them. So I'd rather they be themselves. Bob's not mean, he's just too honest sometimes.

I think it's unfair to compare these guys, and since I like them both, and they are both friends, there's no reason to put these guys in comparative stance.

Grade for Grade, Slab vs Slab?

How would jointly owned books work in this mix? Ted and I happen to own a lot of inventory together?

The difference in Raw pricing is discounts 15% vs 20%. So, Yes Ted is cheaper by 5%.

Slab vs Slab? 20 books vs 2000? Some of those books you've seen on Ted's site were books we co-owned, priced by me? Most of those Batman's, Detectives, Strange Tales #154, 158 for example were priced by me.

Hands down Ted is a very nice guy, he's much more tolerant than I WILL ever be.

now bob and I don't exactly get along too well but we have done several deals over the years and i have no problem with how he conducts his business. If he is making $ then it's all good. i try to do the same thing albeit on a smaller scale.

Teddy sells comic books and yes he wants to turn a profit like everyone else but IMO he has fun with it and talk with you about the hobby or about the book and knows story lines from FF and ASM and certain panels within the books that contain great artwork. I think Teddy gets more fun showing a book than he does selling it to someone. That may sound strange but to me it's true. He is the same guy as he was when I met him at his 1st boston show. I still have a few of those books that we traded. I have done deals with Ted over the years and we have haggled over $ and conditions, etc but i always had respect for him and his love of the hobby.

I think with bob it is more of a business and that is fine. Just two different dealers and two different approaches to customer service.

Maybe it is all the competition that is emerging on the web with the debut of pedigree, the contiuned success of comiclink,etc etc that has ol bob in a tizzy. sign-rantpost.gif

I will start to do the 'small' Radisson show next year, but I doubt I will be bringing any Golden Age. I'll stick to the bronze/silver/modern, and will probably get two tables at the first show of the year.

Assuming I do not get too heavily worked over in NYC in November.

I'll be bringing the Golden Age to the 'big' shows, NYC -> Philly -> Chicago -> Boston. My friend, who is a really big GA collector, will probably do the big show with me in Boston. Anytime he brings books it's a big event, as he has stuff very rarely seen. He keeps all the Timely's for himeslf, though. grin.gif

BB,

nice! do you do the radisson show now?

I will start to do the 'small' Radisson show next year, but I doubt I will be bringing any Golden Age. I'll stick to the bronze/silver/modern, and will probably get two tables at the first show of the year.

Assuming I do not get too heavily worked over in NYC in November.

I'll be bringing the Golden Age to the 'big' shows, NYC -> Philly -> Chicago -> Boston. My friend, who is a really big GA collector, will probably do the big show with me in Boston. Anytime he brings books it's a big event, as he has stuff very rarely seen. He keeps all the Timely's for himeslf, though. grin.gif

cool sounds good. so you are talking the 1st show in 05?

Press Release

Wizard Entertainment Group, the country's foremost authority on everything related to comic books, gaming, anime, toys, collectibles and pop-culture, announced today that it is expanding its convention empire by adding Wizard World Boston to a successful lineup of events that already includes three-day shows in Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and Texas. The first-ever Wizard World Boston will be held from September 30 - October 2 at the Bayside Expo Center.

News of Wizard World Boston comes on the eve of Wizard World Dallas, scheduled for November 5-7 at the Arlington Convention center in Arlington, Texas and establishes the company's events as the largest pop-culture draw in the country. The 2004 Philadelphia, Chicago and Los Angeles shows have already ushered approximately 100,000 fans through their doors, with Wizard World Dallas attendance yet to be tallied.

"Our publishing business allows us to reach out to and communicate with more than two million readers each month through our five magazines, giving us an unrivaled means to understand our audience and what they want, as well as an ability to promote our shows," said Gareb Shamus, CEO of Wizard Entertainment Group. "We have a great relationship with our readers and show attendees and we know that there is a need for a Wizard World event in New England that provides the region’s fans with the ability to get up-close-and-personal with the movers and shakers that are defining pop-culture."

Recent Wizard World events have included guests that include: Stan Lee (Spider-man), David Goyer (writer/director, Batman Begins, Blade: Trinity), Avi Arad (executive producer, Spider-man 2 and X2), Rebecca Stamos (The Punisher), Jessica Biel (Blade: Trinity), Kevin Smith (writer/director, Dare Devil, The Green Hornet), Thomas Jane (The Punisher), Ron Perlman and Selma Blair (Hellboy) and Joss Whedon (creator/writer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), among scores of others.

Bayside Expo Center.

The worst choice out of all their options. It's not centrally located and any after hours happenings will have to be a cab or train ride away from the show. Not that that's a bad thing (since it'd be a short train ride or cab), it's just there are much more convenient locations in terms of the overall experience for convention goers (the WTC/Seaport Hotel being one of them.)

Bayside Expo Center.

The worst choice out of all their options. It's not centrally located and any after hours happenings will have to be a cab or train ride away from the show. Not that that's a bad thing (since it'd be a short train ride or cab), it's just there are much more convenient locations in terms of the overall experience for convention goers (the WTC/Seaport Hotel being one of them.)

i agree but maybe this was the cheapest venue? they rob you there for parking too. tonofbricks.gif

cool sounds good. so you are talking the 1st show in 05?

Yes, everyone spending their Xmas money. I think I'm going to bring the 80's indies from this collection as well and try to capture some the counter-culture crowd I see dragging their nuckles through that show. He had some pretty esoteric stuff. OK, VERY esoteric stuff. :-)

I'm absolutely positive it's the cheapest large venue in the area.

I set up at the last show there a few years ago, that monkeyhouse co-promoted with a Canadian outfit. I thought the venue itself was great. Easy to set up and organized. I actually did well at the show with silver/bronze/copper, but I was next to ?Bechara? (I know I'm getting that wrong) and Richie Muzhin, and they were not pleased AT ALL. It was a sci-fi expo thing as well, and those people came out in force. But, I think I saw less than 20 people even take a serious look at the exclusively high-end Muzhin stuff in 3 days. The two of them broke down their booth Sunday morning and left early.

They even nailed the dealers for money to park at that show. They had some deal 2 years ago where if you got there at a certain time on setup day, you got a special extortion-free parking price for a three day pass. If you missed it, you were sunk.

Bayside Expo Center.

i agree but maybe this was the cheapest venue? they rob you there for parking too. tonofbricks.gif