• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2021 at 2:32 PM, Subby1938 said:

I picked this a while back for $400.00 Canadian . I don’t see many high grade newsstand versions come up . Any info or value on this as I’m actually kinda lost . I know 9.8 sells for crazy money now 

2C27DD32-AF20-4AB5-A7BD-DF1AF8B78CBC.png

Looks like the last 9.6 blue newsstand to sell on eBay was in June for $470 USD. Direct edition 9.6 blue sales are hovering right around $300 USD.

I've been in self imposed ASM 300 exile since late 2000. Every time I see the cover to the book I just want to scream - still do

Here is my boring vent:

I picked up ASM 300 as a kid the day it hit comic shops in 1988.  My local shop must have had 300-400 copies and I gently dug through them until I found  a copy that met my very rigid standards.   It was pristine (still is) and I purchased a Mylar and board at the same time to protect it as I often did  on books that cost what was for me a lot of money.  

Knowing how difficult it was to find double sized issues in perfect condition I never read my personal copy.  In 2000 while culling books for my first CGC submission I gave ASM 300 a then fresh look and as not often happens it was a perfect as I recalled. I figured a 9.9 was possible - something I never thought on any other sub since.

When I got the submission back and opened the box, these were days before online grades were available, I was heart broken then angered after seeing a 9.6. Yes CGC was very strict in those early days but I too was a harsh grader. Must have got the CGC grader of death. Today when a book is submitted you can get graders notes not sure if they existed back in 2000. I packed up the book and for the next 21 years tried to forget this kick to my nads by CGC and did not set eyes on it again until today.

Looked at through the case with my 12x jewelers loop this morning and all looks perfect. Spine is tight and flat and blemish free, edges are all razor sharp and surface and gloss on both sides appears flawless. Earlier today I compared it to 40 other various CGC 9.8's (all newest CGC label) and this book beat them all, some by a wide margin.  I do find a decent amount of  CGC 9.8's i purchased the last 5 years (in the newest slabs) would  have only been strong 9.6's back in the earliest days. Which is why when I can I try to only purchase in person, "buy the book not the slab" in effect.

I gave thought to cracking it out and re-submitting but afraid I'd damage it, also like some collectors I favor the old-school CGC labels or Flips as they are referred to in trading card grading world.

Here's a scan, pardon the cut off top+bottom and the redacted barcode.

asm300-2.thumb.jpg.f4c87c0e7a71fed586765df20ebad2c1.jpg

I'd like to say I feel better getting this off my chest but I don't. Oh well...

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/31/2021 at 6:48 PM, MAR1979 said:

I've been in self imposed ASM 300 exile since late 2000. Every time I see the cover to the book I just want to scream - still do

Here is my boring vent:

I picked up ASM 300 as a kid the day it hit comic shops in 1988.  My local shop must have had 300-400 copies and I gently dug through them until I found  a copy that met my very rigid standards.   It was pristine (still is) and I purchased a Mylar and board at the same time to protect it as I often did  on books that cost what was for me a lot of money.  

Knowing how difficult it was to find double sized issues in perfect condition I never read my personal copy.  In 2000 while culling books for my first CGC submission I gave ASM 300 a then fresh look and as not often happens it was a perfect as I recalled. I figured a 9.9 was possible - something I never thought on any other sub since.

When I got the submission back and opened the box, these were days before online grades were available, I was heart broken then angered after seeing a 9.6. Yes CGC was very strict in those early days but I too was a harsh grader. Must have got the CGC grader of death. Today when a book is submitted you can get graders notes not sure if they existed back in 2000. I packed up the book and for the next 21 years tried to forget this kick to my nads by CGC and did not set eyes on it again until today.

Looked at through the case with my 12x jewelers loop this morning and all looks perfect. Spine is tight and flat and blemish free, edges are all razor sharp and surface and gloss on both sides appears flawless. Earlier today I compared it to 40 other various CGC 9.8's (all newest CGC label) and this book beat them all, some by a wide margin.  I do find a decent amount of  CGC 9.8's i purchased the last 5 years (in the newest slabs) would  have only been strong 9.6's back in the earliest days. Which is why when I can I try to only purchase in person, "buy the book not the slab" in effect.

I gave thought to cracking it out and re-submitting but afraid I'd damage it, also like some collectors I favor the old-school CGC labels or Flips as they are referred to in trading card grading world.

Congrats on your 9.6.  From what I can see, I think its a very nice example of the book.  The early days of CGC grading were certainly erratic, to say the least.  I remember submitting an unread copy of GK Scooby Doo #1 in absolutely perfect condition for grading, only to be shocked that it was graded an 8.5.  My LCS was well versed in cracking and re-submitting and I got to witness him remove the book perfectly out of its casing and packed incredibly well for re-grading.(this event pre-dated pressing by over a decade)

Book came back a 9.2, but with a brand new 1/4 inch tear on the back cover.  Conversely, I submitted Silver Age ASM's expecting a 9.2 and received 9.4-9.8, likewise, I submitted a perfect Wonder Woman #200 (classic Jeff Jones bondage cover) only to receive a 9.4.

I think their grading is tighter, and more consistent over the past 1.5 years than it was during the early days so if you want to crack and re-submit, its really a toss up.  Whatever your decision, good luck (thumbsu

On 8/31/2021 at 5:48 PM, MAR1979 said:

Knowing how difficult it was to find double sized issues in perfect condition I never read my personal copy. 

MAR1979, were you born in 1979?

As an 8 or 9 year old in 1988, depending on whether you had a birthday yet, these comments I've bolded are outstanding!

When I was 8 or 9 years old, I didn't have a concept of "collectible", much less condition sensitivity.

Bravo! :golfclap:

On 9/1/2021 at 2:56 PM, valiantman said:

MAR1979, were you born in 1979?

As an 8 or 9 year old in 1988, depending on whether you had a birthday yet, these comments I've bolded are outstanding!

When I was 8 or 9 years old, I didn't have a concept of "collectible", much less condition sensitivity.

Nope not born in 1979.

Was late teen when ASM 300 came out.  But as an OCD-ish collector for few years already I had noticed 2x size issue seemed more condition sensitive. Like Crisis 7,12 and others.  My personal line of demarcation as "Kid" or not is 10 months after high school ended. "Child" I consider anything pre 9th grade. These are only my standards for myself when relating a story nothing more than that.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/1/2021 at 1:09 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Congrats on your 9.6.  From what I can see, I think its a very nice example of the book.  The early days of CGC grading were certainly erratic, to say the least.  I remember submitting an unread copy of GK Scooby Doo #1 in absolutely perfect condition for grading, only to be shocked that it was graded an 8.5.  My LCS was well versed in cracking and re-submitting and I got to witness him remove the book perfectly out of its casing and packed incredibly well for re-grading.(this event pre-dated pressing by over a decade)

Book came back a 9.2, but with a brand new 1/4 inch tear on the back cover.  Conversely, I submitted Silver Age ASM's expecting a 9.2 and received 9.4-9.8, likewise, I submitted a perfect Wonder Woman #200 (classic Jeff Jones bondage cover) only to receive a 9.4.

I think their grading is tighter, and more consistent over the past 1.5 years than it was during the early days so if you want to crack and re-submit, its really a toss up.  Whatever your decision, good luck (thumbsu

Yeah it's gamble alright. Since at least up to this point in life I'm not a seller, not sure costs and risk of re-submitting are worth it to me.   If it came back with less than a 9.8 I'd have to put it away for 40 years :) Perhaps 10 years ago i should have revisited the book?

I do agree grading more consistent today. Still though I have purchased many new slabs and scratched my head wondering how it garnered a 9.8 which is why I prefer to purchase in person so i can truly view the book. That said anything under $100 I still roll the dice. I will say at 1 place I'm a regular customer if the book does not meet my grade they will take it back but I do have to pay return shipping costs.  In today's age of "buy the slab not the book" many dealers have low tolerance for a return.

P.S. you still have the Scooby 1?

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/31/2021 at 5:48 PM, MAR1979 said:

Here is my boring vent:

Resub it. Send it in the case if you're afraid of hurting it.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:02 PM, MAR1979 said:

Yeah it's gamble alright. Since at least up to this point in life I'm not a seller, not sure costs and risk of re-submitting are worth it to me.   If it came back with less than a 9.8 I'd have to put it away for 40 years :) Perhaps 10 years ago i should have revisited the book?

I do agree grading more consistent today. Still though I have purchased many new slabs and scratched my head wondering how it garnered a 9.8 which is why I prefer to purchase in person so i can truly view the book. That said anything under $100 I still roll the dice. I will say at 1 place I'm a regular customer if the book does not meet my grade they will take it back but I do have to pay return shipping costs.  In today's age of "buy the slab not the book" many dealers have low tolerance for a return.

P.S. you still have the Scooby 1?

I used to have a six-pack, but that's long gone, too!  :roflmao:

Here is my boring vent:

Your 9.6 is a beauty! I understand your pain. I've subbed books I've thought were 9.8 or better and been disappointed when getting a lower grade. Sure you can resubmit them, but there's always the risk of damage in transit and handling and getting a lower grade. I've seen many YouTube videos of people who tried the crack, press and resub game and end up with the same or worse grade more times than not.

For your reference, between a 9.6 and 9.8, my 2 originally bought at the LCS when they came out copies are shown on page 49 of this thread. One is a 9.6 and the other is a 9.8. The only difference per the grader's notes was color breaking light stress lines on the back cover 0f the 9.6. They were on the back cover spine. My 9.8 had no grader's notes. 

Here is my boring vent:

I was in the same position you are in now, but with a different comic book (Danger Girl 2, Ruby Red Cover) at that time. Similar to you, I never once took it out of the sleeve for 19 years, until I prepped it for J. Scott Campbell's signature at the Boston Comic-Con in October of 2017. After receiving a 9.6 I was devastated, so I resubmitted and took a gamble and had said book pressed this time around and came back a 9.8 thankfully. Best of luck.

On 7/24/2018 at 2:35 PM, BoBe-Patt said:

Yeah, as long as your book doesn't have too many color breaking creases, then you should be fine. A buddy of mine sent in his ASM 300 that was a 8.5 to get pressed and it came back a 9.2! that was pretty good jump. But on the downside, I sent in my Macross #1 that was a 9.6, and it came back a 9.4!?!?! I was mad about that. Apparently the press somehow made the paper around the bottom staple tear a little. So that brought down the grade. I should've just left it at a 9.6! :cry:

I just received an Amazing Spider-Man 300 back from a CCS press and a CGC grade and it came back with the bottom staple badly torn from pressing. The book was really sharp except for a NCB back cover bend, which was fixed, but more than offset by the staple damage. It came back a 9.2

Edited by PeterPark