• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ottawa Comic Con May 9-11 2014

25 posts in this topic

Sadly, the promoters don't put much stock in advertising here. I used to do it for them when I was a dealer.

Not much of interest on the comic book guest list side of things IMHO.

MOORE cancelled last time, so who knows if he'll show up this time...

And many of the others are regulars at the Montreal/Ottawa events.

Anyone need help at the con?

I'm going.

Weak list imo.

Also wish there were more comic book (and CGC related) dealers. Most stuff is modern drek. More SA good stuff needed!

Wish it wasnt 6 hours away. I sure could use a Paquette or Isherwood Superman sketch

Paquette did an awesome painting for me last year! So good I framed it.

I went to the first of them and was disappointed to say the least,best part was meeting Elvira and talking to Harley.For the money,and the hassle getting out there I won't be attending.For those of you who do,there is a booth devoted mostly to Edition Heritage comics that is worth checking out though.

Jimmers

I'm going.

Weak list imo.

Also wish there were more comic book (and CGC related) dealers. Most stuff is modern drek. More SA good stuff needed!

PLUS 10000000000

But Harley always has neat stuff.

I'm going.

Weak list imo.

PLUS 10000000000

But Harley always has neat stuff.

Yup. He's one of the best ones. The first con had a good booth from Toronto too with a ton of goodies. Unfortunately they weren't there the second time.

Wish it wasnt 6 hours away. I sure could use a Paquette or Isherwood Superman sketch

Are his rates reasonable?

I suggest that those of you who are comic book fans contact the promoters directly and tell them that you're disappointed in the lack of comic book-specific dealers and guests. They don't even bother promoting the event here. I'm friends with one and he always shrugs this place off as being a place that it not worth the effort. Come on. All it takes is an hour spread over a few weeks to post a few blurbs and links here. And the best part is that it's FREE advertisement in a forum focused directly at the target audience.

Just be polite about it if you do!!!

I suggest that those of you who are comic book fans contact the promoters directly and tell them that you're disappointed in the lack of comic book-specific dealers and guests. They don't even bother promoting the event here. I'm friends with one and he always shrugs this place off as being a place that it not worth the effort. Come on. All it takes is an hour spread over a few weeks to post a few blurbs and links here. And the best part is that it's FREE advertisement in a forum focused directly at the target audience.

Let me know who to contact :)

Are his rates reasonable?

Yup. $200 for a larger type canvas fully painted.

I'll take a pic when I can to show you

Lots of goodies,but hard to find a good deal...you are talking about the guys with the pics of their comics?

Sounds like them

My buddy and I grabbed 3-4 keys off em

I'm not going to give out anyone's personal contact info, but I'm sure you can send them an email via the con website. (thumbs u

I'm not going to give out anyone's personal contact info, but I'm sure you can send them an email via the con website. (thumbs u

I don't know. I'm going to see how this one goes.

First comic con was the best in terms of dealers. Last comic con was better in terms of guests (George Perez, Chris Claremont, Neal Adams, Larry Hama and Herb Trimpe were lined up at least, ++), this one seems pretty bad for both dealers and guests.

Hopefully it's better than Pop Expo. That one was just a disaster. What an epic fail... and I think thats really going to hurt this comic con. Case in point... I went from buying 3 day passes to just a 1 day pass for this weekend. 3 days is useless when there arent that many good dealers/guests as it is. And with Pop Expo being such a bust, I'm not going through that again. One day's fine now.

I don't know. I'm going to see how this one goes.

First comic con was the best in terms of dealers. Last comic con was better in terms of guests (George Perez, Chris Claremont, Neal Adams, Larry Hama and Herb Trimpe were lined up at least, ++), this one seems pretty bad for both dealers and guests.

Hopefully it's better than Pop Expo. That one was just a disaster. What an epic fail... and I think thats really going to hurt this comic con. Case in point... I went from buying 3 day passes to just a 1 day pass for this weekend. 3 days is useless when there arent that many good dealers/guests as it is. And with Pop Expo being such a bust, I'm not going through that again. One day's fine now.

POP EXPO WAS a disaster from a dealer perspective (from what I've heard). I cannot speak for attendees in general, but the cosplayers had a ball running around all week-end in the rather empty aisles. I was there as a comic vendor and it was the WORST show I've ever done.

I'll blame it on poor location (out in the boonies where no casual foot traffic could wander in) and bad timing (right before Christmas).