• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2023 at 10:36 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I miss being in the club.  Congrats to everyone who is a member.  I started this thread over twelve years ago (I think twelve but you can't even get to that thread now) because there wasn't one and I thought we needed a place to talk about the greatest comic of all time.  Good to see it still growing strong.

Um, make that 15 years ago.  Time flies, so they say.

image.thumb.png.9fb5e84139ac09d09808d4392b7f47b9.png

• Administrator
On 10/3/2023 at 10:36 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I miss being in the club.  Congrats to everyone who is a member.  I started this thread over twelve years ago (I think twelve but you can't even get to that thread now) because there wasn't one and I thought we needed a place to talk about the greatest comic of all time.  Good to see it still growing strong.

387 pages worth.  

On 10/9/2023 at 6:37 PM, peewee22 said:

A thread of happiness, joy, sadness, conflicts, argumentatives, high-fives, and more. I'm sure every emoji was used many times. Lives changed in this thread. People came, people went. Lots of memories here. Gotta be the most loved thread on the Boards. :peace:

You know, when I started it the price aspect didn't even cross my mind.

On 10/9/2023 at 10:08 PM, Spider-Variant said:

You know, when I started it the price aspect didn't even cross my mind.

Yes, most here know and appreciate that ....... but Batmanis changed everything  :deadhorse:

..............let's get back to celebrating an iconic publication, and maybe talk price here and there for sure ........................

On 10/10/2023 at 4:44 PM, fishbone said:

Yes, most here know and appreciate that ....... but Batmanis changed everything  :deadhorse:

..............let's get back to celebrating an iconic publication, and maybe talk price here and there for sure ........................

Did he ever sell his af15 copy? 

Edited by Krismusic

On 10/10/2023 at 1:44 PM, fishbone said:

no, there was a Submariner guy that always talked about prices way before batman guy. Submariner guy and his brother owned an AF15 together

On 10/11/2023 at 8:42 PM, NoMan said:

no, there was a Submariner guy that always talked about prices way before batman guy. Submariner guy and his brother owned an AF15 together

As the price goes higher, I think its hard to have conversations about the book that aren't intertwind with value. 

It's reached a point where any average collector who wants a copy needs to make tough decisions and careful sacrifices to get a copy.  

The AF15 club has become pretty exclusive.  So you aren't getting as many "I joined the club" bumps as it once did. 

On 10/12/2023 at 5:16 AM, KCOComics said:
On 10/10/2023 at 8:07 PM, Krismusic said:

Did he ever sell his af15 copy? 

He did.  I can't remember the price,  but I remember he was tremendously frustrated that the price came down so much,  from its Covid peak. 

I think it sold for roughly $90k at the CL Exchange 

On 10/12/2023 at 10:48 AM, alexgross.com said:

batmanis#1 was annoying because he pretty much exclusively posted his clearly biased opinion that this book was a great investment, classic pump and dump. did the same with xmen1. seemed also like a pretty clueless older person, unable to read the room or the accepted etiquette. 

having said that, i think those who are opposed to the including of recent pricing news on this phenomenally valuable book are being unrealistic and annoying as well. i dont need a weekly update on price info on every af15 sale, but as it is my most valuable comic investment i cannot pretend that i own it just because i love the book. i do indeed love it as i do most ditko spideys. but it is also a large financial investment, and i'm certainly not wealthy enough to pretend i dont care how it does.

and someday, it might pay for fifteen minutes of college education for my son.

AF15-4.5-front.jpeg

well, well said indeed !!!!   :golfclap:

I love the date stamp but the crease top center gives me the heebie-jeebies. I feel like it's marvel chipping just waiting to fall off (but MC is only on the right side, right?)  Whatever, I feel like it's gonna break off...

This is what I know about it: Some guy named Crazy Charlie bought it off the newsstand back in the day. Crazy Charlie had a used bookstore in the Pacific Northwest forever. A man named Judd Lawson had it for a while, so I'm told. The great dancer Magik Woo owned it. He got pissed at CGC. Had the other guys slab it. They graded it at 8.5. Sold for 77k about in 2016. new mystery owner ressubed at CGC - stayed an 8.5, no doubt it's been pressed. I bought it in 2017. Stan Lee sig (signed in 1984) on page 16. The mystery owner from 2016 purchase to 2017 seller did very, very well.

It's probably a little overgraded at 8.5, probably an 8.2 or so.

Edited by NoMan

I know how tempting it is to find fault with something you have, but I can't imagine ever owning this issue is such a nice grade. I suppose if I was to win the lottery, I would pursue a book like this. However, as a former math teacher, I know how miniscule your chances are of winning the lottery, so I rarely buy a ticket. I usually buy one easy-pick ticket when it gets above $750,000.

On 10/12/2023 at 6:24 PM, NoMan said:

I love the date stamp but the crease top center gives me the heebie-jeebies. I feel like it's marvel chipping just waiting to fall off (but MC is only on the right side, right?)  Whatever, I feel like it's gonna break off...

This is what I know about it: Some guy named Crazy Charlie bought it off the newsstand back in the day. Crazy Charlie had a used bookstore in the Pacific Northwest forever. A man named Judd Lawson had it for a while, so I'm told. The great dancer Magik Woo owned it. He got pissed at CGC. Had the other guys slab it. They graded it at 8.5. Sold for 77k about in 2016. new mystery owner ressubed at CGC - stayed an 8.5, I bought it in 2017. Stan Lee sig (signed in 1984) on page 16. The mystery owner from 2016 purchase to 2017 seller did very, very well.

It's probably a little overgraded at 8.5, probably an 8.2 or so.

It's a stunning copy!! Really.  

I love that you have the history from the Newstand to today. I also love the Date Stamp!! 

And personally,  I love comics with old school signatures on the first page (or interior pages). 

Really special book and I hope you enjoy it.