• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Showcase Collecting Thread
5 5

944 posts in this topic

I just checked the CGC census and Showcase 39 has only 48 graded, high 9.4. BTW, here's the census on the first 10 issuesI. Looks like 2 and 5 are the toughest.

#1 39 graded Highest graded 9.0

2 24 8.5

3 31 9.0

4 198 Understandable 9.6 That's insane !

5 23 9.4

6 74 9.0

7 43 9.2

8 128 9.2

9 93 9.2

10 82 9.4

37 129 9.2

38 91 9.8

39 48 9.4

I just checked the CGC census and Showcase 39 has only 48 graded, high 9.4. BTW, here's the census on the first 10 issuesI. Looks like 2 and 5 are the toughest.

#1 39 graded Highest graded 9.0

2 24 8.5

3 31 9.0

4 198 Understandable 9.6 That's insane !

5 23 9.4

6 74 9.0

7 43 9.2

8 128 9.2

9 93 9.2

10 82 9.4

37 129 9.2

38 91 9.8

39 48 9.4

Thanks! Maybe I'll have it graded as it looks as if it's never been read.

mm

. . .and next, the infamous up-crouch shot cover by Russ Heath

SC3_zpse2698a91.jpg

CGC seems to routinely mislabel the Showcase 3. That's not a Russ Heath cover. It's a Grandenetti cover every step of the way. 100% slamdunk. Now, because of the emotional scars that you are certainly coping with because of this terrible deception, you and Kag may send me those second-rate Grandenetti covers. . .and I'll even pay for your shipping. Let me bear this horrible burden.

drevilemoticon_zps37e9eab7.gif

SC3_zpse2698a91.jpg

CGC seems to routinely mislabel the Showcase 3. That's not a Russ Heath cover. It's a Grandenetti cover every step of the way. 100% slamdunk. Now, because of the emotional scars that you are certainly coping with because of this terrible deception, you and Kag may send me those second-rate Grandenetti covers. . .and I'll even pay for your shipping. Let me bear this horrible burden.

well as long as you are gonna pay the shipping ^^

SC3_zpse2698a91.jpg

Sure enough my blue-label says Russ Heath cover and art, whereas the Grand Comic Database says Jerry Grandenetti. You sir win the prize for teaching me something I didn't know about Showcase #3 - I always assumed it was a Russ Heath cover and I guess so did CGC!

http://www.comics.org/issue/12921/

Another favorite is this one - Metal Men origin - I posted this somewhere before, but . . .

SHOWCASE37c_zpsaaca0c5e.jpg

a Mohawk Valley copy too :grin:

Lucky I have one. Can't let you corner the market on those Mohawk Valley Showcases.

;)

SC3_zpse2698a91.jpg

well as long as you are gonna pay the shipping ^^

:idea:

Edited by Comick1

I went a little overboard at the Heritage Auction yesterday. With so many great copies, it was hard not to splurge. After I get my books, I will finally remove the "obscured" tag on my Showcase collection I am building. I love this set, and keep the scans coming everyone.