• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration - What's the Problem With It?

8 posts in this topic

hey folks,

another Q... Marnin Rosenberg in Overstreet says on page 69,

"I intentionally submitted six books I had Susan Cicconi restore for me. All six came back in unrestored holders! I don't claim to be a expert when it comes to identifying restoration, but CGC makes that claim and blew six for six with me.

Conversely, both myself and other collectors and dealers have gotten books back from CGC denoting restoration that when sent to Susan for a second opinion were found to be restoration free."

i'm sure "moderate" or "extensive" restoration is fairly easy to spot. but i notice that people avoid even "slight"-ly restored books like the plague. even slightly restored Golden Age VFs, where the census clearly shows a small population of such books, go for less than the price of unrestored VGs. yet given the above quote by an experienced collector - and the difficulty in identifying restoration, why do people make such a big effort at bidding on Blue 4.0s instead of much more cosmetically pleasing Purple 8.0s - especially since BOTH books may have some (or NO!) restoration...

Obviously, collectors are buying the blue label vs the purple label. They put ALL their faith into Cgc thinking they are omniscient & can do no wrong with their high tech resto scanners & professional staff.

I had a VF silver ASM signed by Romita Sr on front cover that came back purple label. Think the resto scanners picked up on the overspray from the gold metallic pen that Romita used to autograph all the comics at the local con. Could not have been bothered to pay tongue.gif a regrade fee + return postage to Canada just to test Cgc's grading /resto prowess on a resubmission.

Interesting. I guess restoration is a very unexact science. I've sold some purple label books very cheaply. I would hate to think they weren't restored. But I would love to think my Action 252 VF+ with slight color touch was actually unrestored.

Anyone know of a resoration checker besides CGC?

No comment, for fear for being hurled headlong into the CGC Forum Penalty Pokey mad.gif , never to be heard from again (like the Man in the Iron Mask...if you'll excuse the pun)! I'm already skating figure eights on thin ice, HENCE, ALBEIT (used by written permission of Araich), no rabble-rousing !! cool.gif

I agree that the current mentality is a little extreme. There are a few gold books I intend on buying, and when I do I will definetly prefer a slightly restored book that looks cosmetically better, than an unrestored POS.

C'mon Hammer, don't hold back now! We haven't had a bloodbath on these boards in a while. Tell us all about your opinion on restoration and CGC. Wait, let me just get the tape recorder rolling......ok, GO!!

Nothing as melodramatic as that! You had asked if anyone knew of anyone BESIDES CGC, who also performs educated restoration analyses. I just don't feel it within the realm of proper decorum to post a rather long list of ephemera conservationists based on a question I heard and partially answered only because I'm an appreciative member of this Forum. Gotta' do your own research on this one.

most of the conservationist/restoration labs can do restoration checks. There were some very informative threads a month ago or so with a checklist of what to look for. Most work can be spotted if you know what to look for with exception of pressing and really good cleaning (if it doesnt have an odor and the paper doesnt look washed out or dull its a judgement call at best)

Restored books should be worth less than unrestored but sometimes that purple label makes it near impossible to sell and creates a great opportunity to buy. If you have time call CGC and get notes I think they will give somewhat detailed idea of what was done to a particular book. That way you can make a better judgement if you are ok with what was done or not. Personally I am ok with tear seals small reinforcement by staples etc things that protect the book from further damage Dont care for overhauled books with color fills ,pieces added etc.

Best idea is if you are getting the book to keep for your own collection go for it. If its a investment/monetary reasons stay with unrestored books period.

Not sure if I can believe Marnins statement I'd like to see the books in question or some visible proof as everybody seems to be taking shots at CGC. I'm sure CGC can miss some restoration but Cicconi is known for extensive overhauls (I've seen some of the books she has done and books done by Bill Sarrill and they sometimes can just look fake because of the extent of the work) Unless it was some minor work I cant see how they could miss it