• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coppers to buy before they explode

455 posts in this topic

Rule of 25.

That rule only applies to kid hobbies, and kids stopped buying comics around 1989-90 and were pretty well gone by the time Supes kicked the bucket in 1992.

So for comics 1991-on, the Rule of 25 is no more.

When I walk into either of my two LCSs and see ONLY kids under 18 buying new comics and flipping through back issues, should I tell them to stop since it blows your theory all to heck? I'm 40 and I'm the one totally out of place there.

There are a bunch of IH 181s around, and Wolverine LS #1s... that doesn't stop them from commanding more than $1.

But those books had far different demographics, and there is no way that Superman 75 will ever grow in value long-term.

I have to disagree. That book was a huge part of pop culture in the 90's, it has a huge print run but is an iconic cover.

I remember the day this comic came out. I thought Bloodshot #1 which came out on the same day had a better cover. :baiting:

Youre old :baiting:

Now I am not looking thru any of your stuff to buy in Clifton tomorrow (If I go). :acclaim:

Rule of 25.

That rule only applies to kid hobbies, and kids stopped buying comics around 1989-90 and were pretty well gone by the time Supes kicked the bucket in 1992.

That's cute. And wrong.

Rule of 25.

That's cute. And wrong.

I'm not so sure. I don't think it's 100% correct, but there is truth to the idea that our strongest nostalgic feelings stem from the things we liked in our formative years. By the mid 90s, we were seeing the average collector age shift upward.

I'll be very interested to see how it works out going forward. It's likely to not be an all or none outcome, but rather a matter of degree.

Rule of 25.

That's cute. And wrong.

I'm not so sure. I don't think it's 100% correct, but there is truth to the idea that our strongest nostalgic feelings stem from the things we liked in our formative years. By the mid 90s, we were seeing the average collector age shift upward.

I'll be very interested to see how it works out going forward. It's likely to not be an all or none outcome, but rather a matter of degree.

I'm not saying there wasn't a shift happening. I was 10 in 1992 and was at my LCS as much as I could be. There were also a TON of other kids my age there. By '94, they were coming in less and less but still a big presence.

Of course, that's completely anecdotal evidence...just like JC's experience from his LCS is completely anecdotal.

Rule of 25.

That's cute. And wrong.

Brian, look at the age and gender of collectors we have buying back issues from us at the local shows. Over the past two to three years the trends have been younger collectors chasing SA and BA books, and more female readers/collectors buying books. That being said, the best place to focus on with post-1991 books is the same place as GA/SA/BA/CA - buy the keys and you will be fine.

It seems to me that "buy what you like" is potentially in conflict with "don't follow the sheep." A lot (a LOT) of what people like is determined by what other people like.

If you actually believe this, then you are a sheep through and through, and that's your lot in life.

My entire collection has been built on two simple adages:

1) Buy what you like.

2) Buy where they ain't

If you buy where they ain't you're letting "they" determine your buying choices just as much as if you buy where they am.

And you don't have to be a sheep to be influenced by what other people like. Other people can lift something's profile and bring it to your attention. Other people can hip you to aspects of something you might not have appreciated otherwise. Obviously, buying something solely because other people do is shallow and sheep-like, but there are good reasons other people's buying patterns can directly or indirectly influence those of others.

Of course, some people may be so perfect they have no need of a decent respect for the opinions of mankind.

I didn't interpretate Larsen's rule that way. I took it to mean to buy where folks haven't found the good

stuff yet. That's what I do at my LCS. I was talking to a guy the other day at one of them, he was thumbing through Superman looking for the doomsday-related issues. I told him that I'd cleaned all those out a month ago.

Buy where they ain't to me means just getting out there first.

I now do exetensive scans of eBAY sales, sorting by Copper age and then by modern, to see what

people are buying for $75+. And I will look for those books at my three LCS that doesn't specialize in comics and wouldn't know a hot book if it bit them in the . It's free money and I'm gonna take it.

This thread is a hoot.

Many long-time collectors don't like change and are very comfotable resting on their laurels.

That is their personal choice and I respect it.

And it works for me -- I'll be out there grabbing all the great $1 books that no one else wants

to take the time to find. The MOS 17 and 18s that I found in the back-issue bins recently were

probably there for many months.

This thread is a hoot.

Many long-time collectors don't like change and are very comfotable resting on their laurels.

That is their personal choice and I respect it.

And it works for me -- I'll be out there grabbing all the great $1 books that no one else wants

to take the time to find. The MOS 17 and 18s that I found in the back-issue bins recently were

probably there for many months.

Some of us "long time collectors" are also the ones raiding those dollar boxes and turning dollar books into decent coin, and have been for quite some time. I don't think its so much older vs. newer collectors, but those keeping up with the market, and those that aren't. And some folks, like RMA, Bosco, or the Fingh-meister, have been keeping up with the Copper market for a very long time, and now they are in a very nice position as it begins to bloom.

Rule of 25.

That's cute. And wrong.

Brian, look at the age and gender of collectors we have buying back issues from us at the local shows. Over the past two to three years the trends have been younger collectors chasing SA and BA books, and more female readers/collectors buying books. That being said, the best place to focus on with post-1991 books is the same place as GA/SA/BA/CA - buy the keys and you will be fine.

The "Ultimates" books really seemed to grab a lot of younger generations too. It was a pretty smart idea too because you didn't have to find treasuries of all the original books.

Rule of 25.

That's cute. And wrong.

What encyclopedia are you getting this info. from?

Rule of 25.

That's cute. And wrong.

So what do you think the "Rule of 25" is?

That some 35-year old guy buys a Modern today, then when he's 60 years old, suddenly has the uncontrollable urge to rebuy it again (probably because his Mom threw it out) at vast multiples of its original price?

:roflmao:

If you buy where they ain't you're letting "they" determine your buying choices just as much as if you buy where they am.

No, it's a personal choice NOT to pay nosebleed prices for books just because someone sniffed a rumor of a movie deal and the lemmings all go running straight for the cliff.

It's actually called SAVING MONEY, and if you think that's a bad thing, then feel free to waste yours with the rest of the sheep.

Stats, surveys and reader polls published then and now, that show a continued jump in the average age of comic buyers. Where are you getting yours, your butt?

Stats, surveys and reader polls published then and now, that show a continued jump in the average age of comic buyers. Where are you getting yours, your butt?

Dang, there is no comeback to that one. :troll:

I guess I will just have to assume that younger readers are really into taking surveys and there are just not as many younger readers now.