• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Pedigree Hierarchy?

222 posts in this topic

If anyone has any information on the Northland books, the X-Men in particularly, I would love to have it. Any old scans, pictures, serial numbers from the CGC, certificates, page qualities, who owns what, or original sales lists would be fantastic. Anything to add to my ever growing file of information.

Minor stuff, some of which you might know already:

I bought the Northland X-Men #10 way back in the pre-CGC days. Goldman graded it VF/NM. I paid $450.

The #34 was a CGC 9.4 oww. Traded it away many years ago.

The #42 was a CGC 9.6 w. Also traded away.

And you know about the #16 and #33, I'm pretty sure.

While we're here... I'm in the process of updating the list of key comics in major pedigrees. Here's the data that I have now. Please let me know if you see anything I'm missing:

http://roblarsen.github.io/-100k-club/silver-age-pedigrees.html

The Winnipeg Amazing Spider-Man #1 was a CGC 8.5 last time I saw it a decade ago.

Also, you seem to have White Mountain in your grid twice--once under the heading "WM" and again under the heading "WP". I thought at first one of them was "Western Penn," but the grades are the same all the way down the column, plus you have two "WP" column headers. Not sure if one is supposed to be Winnipeg and the other Western Penn or not. (shrug)

Ah, that's a bug,

One is supposed to be Winnipeg (Win) and one is supposed to be Western Penn (WP.) Win is missing. Quick fix.

While we're here... I'm in the process of updating the list of key comics in major pedigrees. Here's the data that I have now. Please let me know if you see anything I'm missing:

http://roblarsen.github.io/-100k-club/silver-age-pedigrees.html

The Winnipeg Amazing Spider-Man #1 was a CGC 8.5 last time I saw it a decade ago.

Also, you seem to have White Mountain in your grid twice--once under the heading "WM" and again under the heading "WP". I thought at first one of them was "Western Penn," but the grades are the same all the way down the column, plus you have two "WP" column headers. Not sure if one is supposed to be Winnipeg and the other Western Penn or not. (shrug)

Ah, that's a bug,

One is supposed to be Winnipeg (Win) and one is supposed to be Western Penn (WP.) Win is missing. Quick fix.

And... fixed.

Yes, I believe Brulato's FF #1 he got from Schmell is the Golden State copy, although I may be remembering that wrong.

I don't think that FF #1 a Golden State book. When Dan G. got the collection, a collector named John Sargent was the first guy to get to Showcase and buy stuff. I think Brulato was next and I was probably the third guy there. There's no way John or Tom would have passed on an FF #1 like that.

I believe Doug did get that FF #1 from Greenhalgh, but it before Dan ever got the Golden State collection.

I think namisgr (Bob) might still have the SNE catalog with all the Golden State books. He posted some scans on the boards at some point. The catalog probably has a pretty thorough listing of the collection, even if books sold before it was printed

the story about the FF1 that Schmell bought from Dan Greenhalgh that Brulato now owns is this (if my memory serves me correctly) :

Dan G bought an OO find of a few early FF's incl 1 and 5.

@ the time Schmell got the 1st call from Dan and he drove out to see the books in person.

when he viewed them, he bought them.

im sure if you ask Doug he can clarify the story.

Here is another "pedigree" that could have been a top contender. Sold by..the SNE guy...the same dealer who later found the winnipegs (im drawing a blank atm) All of the SA/BA books were sold undocumented. :( He said the golden states absolutely blew the winnipegs away in every aspect. The FF1 was graded 9.6 iirc:

I could have sworn someone said a few books got the Golden State notation on the label but I think i would have seen one by now. Either way I've heard similar talk about it's potential to stand up to other big name pedigrees.

Forgive me, I shown these off before, but what the heck. All Golden States.

I'm not sure why Dan Greenhalgh (Showcase New England) didn't make certificates for the Golden State books like he had with the Winnipegs, but it's really a shame.

ec8e.jpg

ao2q.jpg

hxv1.jpg

34lv.jpg

zdb2.jpg

golden states are amazing

imo they deserve Ped. status but prob not as strong in the 1961-1963 range as the PC's

If anyone has any information on the Northland books, the X-Men in particularly, I would love to have it. Any old scans, pictures, serial numbers from the CGC, certificates, page qualities, who owns what, or original sales lists would be fantastic. Anything to add to my ever growing file of information.

In case you didn't record this before I have the Northland #34: 0015875016, 9.4 ow-w

Here is a certificate for TTA 79

144886.jpg.d029f80d8d8b22a9ed4e568d2d906b27.jpg

Here is a group shot of my 30 TTA pedigrees. Not included in the shot is Suscha news TTA 93 or my raw Boston copy of TTA 76

The pedigrees here are Big Apple x 6 , Boston x 6 , Mile high 2 x 1 ,Northland x 1, Oakland x 2 , Pacific coast x 2 , Rocky mountain x 2 , Suscha news x 2 , Savanah x 2, Twin cities x 2 , Western penn x 1 , Winnipeg x 1 , White mountain x2 ,

These are the only pedigrees I have found for TTA run.

I have seen but not acquired a Green river and some other pedigrees yet.

I have been slowly picking these up in the last 10 years. Taking my time but the goal is a run from 70 - 101, I'm just missing 5 at the moment for the run.

144892.jpg.0fe67af368a2960a7bbec297946ebc4e.jpg

I snagged me the sweet pacific coast x men 12 9.8. Funny thing is, most of it was a gift. :)

Do people generally prefer pedigrees over SS books? I know they typically sell for more than the standard label. Id prefer a pedigree myself. While I like the SS books at times, I feel that some books just shouldnt be marked at all. Just my thoughts.

I snagged me the sweet pacific coast x men 12 9.8. Funny thing is, most of it was a gift. :)

Do people generally prefer pedigrees over SS books? I know they typically sell for more than the standard label. Id prefer a pedigree myself. While I like the SS books at times, I feel that some books just shouldnt be marked at all. Just my thoughts.

The book or the grade?

I much prefer pedigrees to SS books ... but then I prefer non-pedigree books to SS books. :D

no X-men books but Northland nonetheless. I had more Northland books than I thought..

TheSpirit_1_94-northland.jpg

Avengers_69_94-northland_f.jpg

Avengers70-90-northland.jpg

Avengers_73_94-northland.jpg

detective354_80-northland.jpg

SgtFury89_96-northland.jpg

houseofmystery196-85-nland.jpg

these last two are cut off/crappy scans. I gotta pull em and rescan.

houseofmystery144-90-northland.jpg

hawkman24_94-northland.jpg