• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection opinions

8 posts in this topic

In my 2 short years of collecting, I have put together a small collection of books. Initially I just thought it would be cool to pick up a copy of Fantastic Four 48 since I have always liked Galactus and the Silver Surfer. That purchase has lead me to try and complete a run of FF from 45-53 in 8.5 - 9.0. I still need a 46, 47, 48, 49 and 53 in grade. Along the way I have also picked up a couple of other books.

The thought of owning a low grade Fantastic Four 1 (3.0) or an Incredible Hulk 1 (1.8- 2.0) seemed way beyond my means, but looking at my collection, I realize if I sell everything, that it would be possible to get one of these grails. I was considering possibly breaking up what I have to pick up a Hulk 1 or FF 1, which I would have thought was unimaginable before. I would pretty much have to sell all of my books to make this happen with the realization that with my financial situation/wages and 5 month old twins, I will probably never be in a position to replace what I will have to sell which includes the following:

Avengers 57 9.0

Amazing Spider Man 14 5.5

FF 4 6.0

FF 13 6.0

FF 45 9.0

FF 49, 50 7.0

FF 51, 52 8.5

FF 67 9.0 and 8.5

Chew 1 9.8 2 Copies

Invincible 1 9.8

Would it be better to wait and see if predictions of Black Panther, Black Bolt, Vision and Warlock actually make it to the Silver Screen? My objective was never for investment purposes, but seeing the value of these books now, it does play a small role. I would love to be able to pass something on to my little ones.

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.

You have a nice group of books there,so why sell anything?

My earnings go to alot of things before they dribble down to buying comics. So I have learned very early that if I want the big books I must save for one a year.Sometimes it takes two years,but I am able to still get the books I want without selling anything.What I do is have a savings account that is separate from anything attached to my regular bank account.Every paycheck I put 10,20,50 dollars or whatever I can afford to into that account,and just forget it's there.You'll be amazed at how fast that money accrues,the trick is to not pull any money out,ever! Until your goal has been reached.Every year I get one big book with the money.Once My goal has been met I start all over to save up for the next book.Rinse and repeat.Just my two cents,but it has worked very well for me,and I'm not hurting for big books in my collection,and remember quality over quantity. (thumbs u

Thanks for your input. I'm just not sure whether I should capitalize on the current hype surrounding some of these books. It definitely would be hard to let them go.

Then you are on a different way of thinking than I.I don't care about movie hype,or selling books at all,I'm more into collecting keys of all kinds.

I know I have sold a SA book that I hunted down and chased for a time period to get. To grab something bigger i have regretted it every time. For me and maybe for some others. Part of the fun is chasing the book then getting. But starts to take the fun out of it if you sale it next month.

You got a nice group of books. I'd keep and join the chase. Look for books on Craig's local garage sale. Never know what might find. And just save money. I do odd jobs during the summer. I'm a retired flooring contractor so I do that during summer cut grass, clean gutters. It's cash that can go towards keys I want.

I use the same strat that Oakman29 uses. I have a very very very limited budget to pick up books with. I save 20 bucks a week. I can spend it on new issues or save it for DWotN or really really save it for CGC'ed pedigree books. it has worked out well for me so far. I wouldn't sell those books man, you may have a hard time replacing them. just save a smidge every chance you get and in no time the grail you seek shall be yours

Im. with Oak on this. I can't bring myself to sell my collection, plus I'm in the hobby for collecting, not the selling or flipping. Oak, or anyone else for that matter, when your saving for these grails, do you still buy other issues? Obviously not from the seperate account but I guess I'm asking if you buy nothing until you get the grail or is it business as usual and you earmark $ from every paycheck for the grail?