• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saw 'the Incredibles' last night....

52 posts in this topic

I watched a "making of" special on cable on last night. Looks awesome. Heres something I found ironic: all the images are created on computer. But the musical score was recorded analog with a full orchestra! I mean, get it? Computers are just as capable at creating sound as they are images.

Seems like Pixar could have saved millions by doing the music inhouse too!. And no one would ever know the difference, especially since all we are going to hear is a digital playback anyway!

I saw that and didn't they state that only a live orchestra is capable of the high's and low's necessary for a memorable movie soundtrack. Pop tracks are dated the minute they come out and computer audio is notorious for being flat.

There is are many reasons why Pixar is so successful and I would not be second guessing their decisions.

I agree it was alittle long, with the two animation shorts at the start plus the 5 trailers at my theatre it clocked in at just over 2 hours.

Still pretty solid movie all around, some very funny stuff with a good amount of "real life" thrown in.

Like someone else said on another message board though the similarites between this and The Fantastic Four are many

• Mr. Incredible (Thing) - big strong guy, ok, no big deal there, you can't have a super-hero story without a big strong guy
  • Elastigirl (Mr. Fantastic) - her powers are identical, except that she's not an inventor
  • Violet (Invisible Girl) - not only can she turn herself invisible, but she can make force-fields
  • Dash - speed-demon, well... this doesn't really fit at all... *shuffles foot*
  • Jack-Jack the Baby (Franklin) - the youngest member of the troupe is possibly the most powerful mutant that is introduced in the Incredibles Universe. At one point he Flames On! to appear like a miniature Human Torch.

I don't know but it sure does look familiar 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and the girl that did Violets voice sure sounded like the same as the girl who does Ravens voice on Teen Titans, but when I checked www.IMDB.com it was not, sure sounded like her too.

I think Violet is the only real knock-off as Mr Incredible has zilch to do with the Thing (more a Superman/Kingdom Come), Dash and the Baby are non-issues. and giving the wife stretching powers was likely done for humor's sake. Stretching is also a popular power in the superhero world and was around long before than Mr Fantastic.

But Violet, definitely.

You can compare any super team to the Fantastic Four because every super team has certain similarities. Every one (at least every successful one) contains at least one of the following:

Strongman - Thing, Superman, Colossus, Hulk, Thor

Woman -- Sue Storm, Wasp, Wonder Woman, Phoenix

Leader/Brain -- Mr. Fantastic, Batman, Professor X (Cyclops?), Captain America

Comic Relief -- Human Torch, Johnny Thunder, Nightcrawler, (not sure who it could be for the Avengers -- the Beast from my Bronze Age reading days)

That's pretty much your core superhero team. Anything else is window dressing or plot/story elements. Part of Stan Lee's brilliance was that he stripped down the larger Justice Society/League to just the basics in the Fantastic Four so he could focus on character more.

WARNING! SPOILERS!

As far as I'm concerned, The Incredibles was the best Fantastic Four movie a Marvel fan could ever hope for! Making Mr. Fantastic into Mrs. Incredible is genius! She was my favorite. Mr. Incredible was definitely The Thing instead of Kingdom Come Superman because he couldn't fly and basically just had super strength and near invunerability a la Ben Grimm. I'll say this much... I like Mr. Incredible's outfit a whole lot more than Michael Chicklis's Thing suit! As for Dash, he looked, talked and acted like Johnny Storm and his action scenes at the end were better movie fun than even Spider-Man 2. And unlike the guy in the upcoming FF movie HE HAD BLONDE HAIR! The daughter who played The Invisible Girl was a little too skinny for me. In fact, all the women except Mrs. Incredible looked emaciated. I know this is all stylized and frikkin cartoons we're talking about, but yeesh! Jason Lee made a good villain, the costume design lady kicked [#@$%!!!], and making Franklin Richards potentially the most powerful member of The Incredibles was the final clincher to me that this was a brilliant homage to The Fantastic Four. That and The Mole Man showing up at the end... Oh and Samuel Jackson as Iceman... BRILLIANT

You can compare any super team to the Fantastic Four because every super team has certain similarities.

People see what what they want to see and I bet fans of other companies (DC, Charlton, etc.) would find similarities as well.

To say that Mr Incredible is definitely the Thing, rather than an obvious play on other costumed strong-men (no rocks, no physical deformities, got the girl, not an outcast/personality disorder like the Thing) shows this view point pretty well.

MORE SPOILERS:

Ok, well, it IS The Thing but at the same time it totally ISN'T the Thing and that's what makes this so unique and interesting. The fresh take on the superhero team is not playing to the Lee Kirby Ditko canon history here, it is making one all its own. The only thing that really says Fantastic Four to me rather than other super teams is the powers each character has. That and the fact that they're a family. Their personalities are totally different from the FF's (except Dash, who has different powers but acts in a way that is very similar to the Human Torch) and that in itself can lead one to imagine any number of teams or characters fitting who they were based on. Still, the DYNAMIC of the team screamed Fantastic Four to me... in my humble opinion of course.

Another thing that was interesting to me was that the movie didn't waste time on being an origin film. We never know how any of the Supers got their powers, merely that they had them and they lived with them. Not that origin movies are a waste of time, but if you could get to the action right away, sometimes that's what makes watching a comic book come to life on the screen a real thrill. There's exceptions of course. Watching Peter Parker scale the wall in Spider-Man 1 was one of the best parts of the movie for me, but seeing Spidey battle Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2 made me even happier. The Incredibles had a train scene a la Spidey 2, a giant robot a la Sky Captain, and homages to dozens of other movies, but still remained fresh, original and entertaining.

Im not reading the spoilers... but I see comparisons to the FF. so my question is, why not a teamup of Marvel and Pixar to animate the rest pof the Marvel universe? Why spend 200 million on live action, when Pixar can tella story just as engrossing with better special effects??? Pixars's films grosses are comparable with "real movies'"

why not? aside from the deals already signed of course... none of the big name characters are available for deals... but, if not Pixar, at leaswt go with total CGI, not live action, as the cinematography...

Saw The Incredibles this afternoon with my wife. We both thought it was terrific. Pixar did an excellent job incorporating all of their super powers into the story. It's very funny, and has some great action sequences!

I saw "The Incredibles" tonight and LOVED it...

One thing-- now that Pixar has created this terrifically excellent movie, how does Marvel expect to follow it with the live-action Fantastic Four film??

The uninitiated will be confused by the very blatant similarities, and I can only imagine the fanboys will feel let down after having seen something so similar (and no doubt better-executed) in "The Incredibles".