• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Custom comic book binding posted by boostergold

92 posts in this topic

Cool, might try this out! How important would you say the condition of the books that you use are (should I still look for presentable books or just get the cheapest duplicate beaters I can find)? Does it really matter at all once they get trimmed?

Obviously, these are meant to be read and I wouldn't be adding in high priced books, but the collector part in me would still want the best hardcover book possible ;)

Hello, it all depends on what you want. For newer books I get VF or better, but if I am doing older more expensive books, like when I did my Spiderman / Punisher books, I didn't ruin and ASM #129, but did find reprints. My tastes are all over the board on what I want, but I refuse to ruin valuable books.

I saw a bound book that sold on eBay for a decent price that had Iron Fist #1-15 and the #14 was the Milestone reprint.

As far as retaining their value, I have seen older books that have been bound go for a lot of money. I was bidding on a couple bound volumes of Vamprella and it went for a lot of money in a Canadian auction. You can see on eBay bound books selling for more than their cover price value for modern and even more for older books. I think that those who are in the market for the bound books know what to expect in binding and trimming and still value them.

Cool, might try this out! How important would you say the condition of the books that you use are (should I still look for presentable books or just get the cheapest duplicate beaters I can find)? Does it really matter at all once they get trimmed?

Obviously, these are meant to be read and I wouldn't be adding in high priced books, but the collector part in me would still want the best hardcover book possible ;)

VF books are usually my target, but for pricier books I'm willing to drop down to the FN range. The main thing is page quality. I'd rather have a little more beat up cover (the corners will get trimmed anyway) and nicer whiter pages than a great cover and cream/yellowing pages.

Also when possible the more books I can get from a same condition set the better... nothing worse than seeing a bind go back and forth between white and cream copies.

My rule of thumb is not to spend more than $8-10 on a book in a bind... And that's usually when there's a key/outlier in a run. Otherwise I look long and hard for someplace where a book or content is reprinted in a later (cheaper) issue.

Thank you, that is a good guideline input. I think once you get your focus down on how you want them done it all seems to fall together.

VF books are usually my target, but for pricier books I'm willing to drop down to the FN range. The main thing is page quality. I'd rather have a little more beat up cover (the corners will get trimmed anyway) and nicer whiter pages than a great cover and cream/yellowing pages.

Also when possible the more books I can get from a same condition set the better... nothing worse than seeing a bind go back and forth between white and cream copies.

My rule of thumb is not to spend more than $8-10 on a book in a bind... And that's usually when there's a key/outlier in a run. Otherwise I look long and hard for someplace where a book or content is reprinted in a later (cheaper) issue.

Thank you, that is a good guideline input. I think once you get your focus down on how you want them done it all seems to fall together.

Thanks to both of you for the great responses. I'll definitely look for reprints or at the very least keep the page quality as consistent as possible!

I use comicbookdb.com which will list where issues were reprinted.

I look up ASM129 and they say it's been reprinted in:

Marvel Milestone Edition: Amazing Spider-Man (1992) #129

Marvel Tales (1964) #106

Marvel Tales (1964) #209

The Mighty World of Marvel (2003) #17

Spectacular Spider-Man (2003) #1000

Conan

I am using the Chronicles of Conan TPB. I have not paid full price for any of the books. Lowest price I paid for one was around $2.00. I think each book has 6 reprints and I bind four tpb books into one binding giving me 24 issues per binding starting at issue #1. There are over 20 tpbs that have been made and I have most of them.

Great way to read up on your early Barry Smith Conan without breaking the bank. And they are in color!!!! :headbang:

101_1951_zpsb5300515.jpg

101_1952_zps10c42e30.jpg

101_1949_zps7180f979.jpg

101_1950_zps129e3ef5.jpg

I have just sent down 22 more books to be bound together. I still have around 5 long boxes that need to be done and around 2 long boxes of sets I am working on.

I know it has been a while since I posted and I will get some pictures up of some of my most recent work.

First, we have the recent "Battle of the Planets" run. I got them all done in one book and even included sub issues. I did not pay full price for these. Many I got for around $1.00 per issue.

100_2452_zps32c3d785.jpg

100_2453_zps0ae64716.jpg

100_2455_zps72e366bc.jpg

100_2454_zps0a4ab989.jpg

The next one is I had two volumes of this book done, They are 18 issues each as there are only 54 issues in the run and they are very thick books. Around 2" thick. These are a very good read and am very glad to get these done. I only took pictures of one of the volumes to give you the idea.

100_2448_zpscb7f9a5a.jpg

100_2449_zpsbd69ab16.jpg

100_2450_zpseaac6018.jpg

100_2451_zps6c33604c.jpg

Included from this company I also have Drunken Fist and Force of Buddha's Palm.

I got the two volumes of the X-treme X-men off of eBay and believe they were done at the same place I get mine done, Herring and Robinson Binding. I am only putting up pictures of one of them, but are basically the same. You can see more choices of how you can customize your binding.

100_2444_zps8d8f0e6c.jpg

100_2445_zpsb1865d40.jpg

100_2446_zpscba91645.jpg

100_2447_zps4798a0a7.jpg

I now have all of the FF4 books I need to have the full run bound. I have a lot of FF4 Marvel Masterworks, some reprints, some TPBs, and the rest in single issues to give me the full run up to the end. I also have all for the FF titled set of 23 books that was recently done.

I don't 19 more of the Uncanny X-Men to finish that run.

I just started working on Thor and Iron Man and have a good jump on them.

For my daughter, who like Ghost Rider, I need just 13 more of the 70's run, 14 more of the 90's run, 23 of the 2006 run.

For my son, he likes Darkhawk and I just finished getting together this Topcow's Ascension run.

I only need 13 more for my 90's Guardians of the Galaxy run.

I went to Half Price Books the other day and got a huge start on my New Mutants run for on 25 cents each.

As I get more I will post more.