• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHeck out this CURATOR avengers 9

24 posts in this topic

33 in 9.8 white. I just looked and I bought it for about $700 and sold it for almost $900. The buyer had it up on EBay, GPA reports it as sold at $1800, but that never happened. The buyer still has it, the sale fell through. I went on a buying spree of earlier 9.8 Avengers and remembered that on most of them when I sold them I took a hit. I guess the curator copy part of this saved me from taking a loss on it. It left a bad taste in my mouth that for the majority of them I was trying to catch a falling knife.

What I did find on EBay just now was the Avengers 55 curator copy in 9.8. Someone cracked it and had Stan Lee sign it. doh! Why would someone do that....

I still say it's a $1000 book. $1200 if you really want to have it.

33 in 9.8 white. I just looked and I bought it for about $700 and sold it for almost $900. The buyer had it up on EBay, GPA reports it as sold at $1800, but that never happened. The buyer still has it, the sale fell through. I went on a buying spree of earlier 9.8 Avengers and remembered that on most of them when I sold them I took a hit. I guess the curator copy part of this saved me from taking a loss on it. It left a bad taste in my mouth that for the majority of them I was trying to catch a falling knife.

What I did find on EBay just now was the Avengers 55 curator copy in 9.8. Someone cracked it and had Stan Lee sign it. doh! Why would someone do that....

:eyeroll::facepalm:

a picture, it's own thread and watch the vitriol flow

a picture, it's own thread and watch the vitriol flow

I spewed a tonne of vitriolic words I comics general over this in kav's thread yesterday. It was general so the SS mob was out. As I said in that thread, if this discussion went down in SA or GA forums it would go down a lot differently. It was a pretty aggressive post for me but SS on Peds really is a sore spot. Here's the initial post for those craving vitriol

Signatures on books.

At one time it was considered ok to tape a book. To fill in missing ink with crayons, markers.

I believe future collectors will shake their heads in dismay at the signing of books.

You do not alter a collectible-at all. You do not polish up old coins. You do not refinish antique furniture. You do not get the guy who found the dead sea scrolls to sign them.

You leave a collectible ALONE. It is inevitable that one day untouched, un stan-leed books will command a huge premium. When people come to their senses and realize what they are doing.

If you want Stan Lee's signature (why, I don't know-they are as common as dirt)-get him to sign a piece of paper and insert it in the book.

This makes me very very sad.

Because comics have always been considered in the 'book' family there will always be the compulsion to have the creators sign them. This is just book culture and it has been around a lot longer than comics themselves so the habit is one that will likely endure moving forward.

I am NOT a fan of sig series. I understand the authentication of signatures is a boon to many collectible fields were forgeries are rampant and collectors have been ripped off many time.

That said, LEAVE THE :censored: HG PEDIGREE BOOKS ALONE for :censored: sakes. These are OO copies and if the OO wanted to have the :censored: creators sign them then they would have done so. The OO collections didn't :censored: survive in tact for decades so that you could get someone to take a felt :censored: marker or other device and have them scrawl their :censored: names over the cover in hopes that the book is going to worth 10% more than it otherwise would be AS IS, IN HG, with the PEDIGREE DESIGNATION.

This actually pissed me off sooooooo much that I do not buy sig :censored: series books in general and I wish pedigree collectors would draw a line in the sand on this one and NOT purchase sig series Pedigree Books. Especially the big Pedigrees, everyone who gets a sig series done for a Church Book should get 10 lashes or have a year taken of their existence. I think I saw a CURATOR sig series one and almost threw up in my mouth. A :censored::censored: CURATOR!!!!!

The sig can NEVER be undone you :censored: insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. I swear if I see an Okijima Camp book sig series, that person should spend 1 year in a :censored: internment camp and have to write "I will not sig series Pedigree books" on a chalk board for 8 hours a days every day.

LEAVE THE :censored: PEDIGREE BOOKS out of Sig. Series. pain-pain-ache-headache-smiley-emoticon-000336-medium.gifBad-bad-mad-angry-smiley-emoticon-000609-medium.gif

I think I need to get T-Shirts made.

(thumbs u no ped signs

I like to collect peds and would never have one signed

Im still alarmed at seeing the Boston copy of Avengers 4 cgc graded a 9.2 or 9.4 cant really recall the grade with a damn sig in a yellow case. Just so wrong

Part of me regrets posting that strongly because I got into it with Sean who I respect but on SS of Peds we defitely disagree.

I like Sean and I know a lot of the Sig Series guys personally but count me in the camp that I don't like Sigs on comics, especially covers and even more especially on Peds.

They can do what they want with them but by that same logic I'm allowed to be irked by it! Severely! lol

Im not totally against Sigs on books.. as long as it's placed neatly, and the sig has some direct relevance to the book (I.E. No JR sig on spidey 648)

however I am extremely against sigs on ped books. the whole concept on that is just beyond me. - want a Stan Lee sig on an AV55.. be my guest!.. but does it have to be a CURATAR !!.. then try to flip it for sale!.. no no! (tsk)

I admit I have warmed up to the idea of signatures on vintage books, never had a problem with them on Moderns. However, I still say the book should be the correct candidate, low to mid grade is fine but high grade should be off limits. I would like to see CGC downgrade for sigs in high grade. Pedigrees, by the definition of why they are pedigree, should be off limits. I would like to see CGC not put a pedigree designation on a yellow label. It's just wrong.