• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,421 posts in this topic

Unless you believe that APALLs 2 was drawn by Baker, in which case those two It's L cubed are the only non-Baker line-drawn covers.

Right. I don't agree with the claim 100%, in the first place. I think Baker had a hand in the APATLS 2 cover.

At that point, wasn't St. John scrambling to put together whatever books they could from inventory? Who knows where they may have gotten those covers from?

Nevertheless, it's line drawn art, even if the covers are composites made from pre-existing story panels.

Yep. They both appear to be by the same artist, whoever he may have been.

Hey noob! although I see you aren't new after all, just a man person of few words and eclectic romance inventory. Very nice, welcome, and please don't be a stranger in this thread!

a few I don't see many of

True that! and the other St John's last gasps you posted. Hard to come by in any condition.

rthz.jpg

#3! I did find a #2 buried in my boxes, but no #3 ever. Right again.

bbjw.jpg

Love this cover. Not as hard to come by perhaps as the others, but still...you can go 10 years and not come across this, easy.

q2gs.jpg

I have more than one of these myself. But again, you won't find this sitting in some $1 box at a con or ever on Ebay. And in grade...impossible.

66xs.jpg

Now this one is a gem. I've NEVER seen it in the wild. It's the last photo cover that Fawcett made, printed with 122 on it, handed over to Charlton as is. So you're one of the guys doing the heavy lifting on GCD while the rest of us run around and play. Thanks for a job well done! (In other words, this is the book used on GCD as the example of this issue.)

a4uj.jpg

I have this as well. Many don't know it exists. It is the most violent romance cover. A prime example of how, in a fascinating way, the sum of the artistic work can be much greater than its parts.

3f9v.jpg

different kind of romance I guess on that last one

I scanned them all for Digital Comics Museum too if you want a gander of the insides as well :)

The last two I consider rare just because they were the last covers for each of the respective series that GCD needed. Had never seen either after years of looking before I picked them up on ebay and I prowl around a lot online.

Edited by fett

It wouldn't have helped. :baiting:

The Atlas books went for less than they should have, but then some of the grading looked soft. Fox books as usual driven by cover - My Life 4 6.0 had a respectable showing at $404.

Overall, CLink was perhaps not the best venue for a 40 book romance lot, midgrade, with only some Harvey's at 9.0 and above. Too much, too low for this crowd.

Edited by Dr. Love

3f9v.jpg

Glad to see it posted as I've never noticed it before. I see a fair share of True Life Secrets covers since I have a True Secrets eBay search (trying to get more issues of the Atlas run of that name) but I have never seen (that I recall) this particular issue. Now, I'll have to look for one ...

3f9v.jpg

Glad to see it posted as I've never noticed it before. I see a fair share of True Life Secrets covers since I have a True Secrets eBay search (trying to get more issues of the Atlas run of that name) but I have never seen (that I recall) this particular issue. Now, I'll have to look for one ...

It looks like the sequel to TLS #23

3f9v.jpg

lol

Ran across this at the bottom of the box that got wet years ago...

had almost forgotten I had it. Does anyone collect these?

Not really sure where I got this, it's not something I collect.

11609537425_def753c26c.jpg

mm

Edited by Marty Mann

3f9v.jpg

Which in turn might be the sequel to Archie #271...

146224.jpg.25308d9ce97757c0718366084240c938.jpg

I'm watching some auctions for Matt Baker romance comics and the prices are going through the roof on several of them. Very fun to watch... Makes me feel good about the handful of issues I've accumulated, and bad about all the ones I missed.

Ain't that life?

I'm watching some auctions for Matt Baker romance comics and the prices are going through the roof on several of them. Very fun to watch... Makes me feel good about the handful of issues I've accumulated, and bad about all the ones I missed.

Ain't that life?

It's some of the non-Baker books being bid up that I find surprising. Maybe the whole genre is picking up steam, or maybe certain books are more scarce than I realized. hm