• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,491 posts in this topic

I was looking for my Secret Story 1 to post some interior shots over in the Less Than Ten Census thread, and I ran across this GCD no-show...

Romantic Hearts #5 (Gordon & Gotch - Action Comics Publishing), no date.  (Is this a Prentice cover?)

Romantic Hearts 5.jpg

10 hours ago, Yorick said:

I was looking for my Secret Story 1 to post some interior shots over in the Less Than Ten Census thread, and I ran across this GCD no-show...

Romantic Hearts #5 (Gordon & Gotch - Action Comics Publishing), no date.  (Is this a Prentice cover?)

Romantic Hearts 5.jpg

According to GCD it is possibly Ken Bald.  The cover originally appeared on Lovelorn # 66 from ACG...

Cover for Lovelorn (American Comics Group, 1949 series) #66

In answer to the hottest question on everyone's mind at the moment - will the Promise Collection have any romance?

The answer is yes

Young Romance #1 - 7.0, not the highest grade by a long shot

Ideal #5 - Timely photo cover - 7.5, not the highest grade, there's a 9.0

I guess these were well read!

Edited by Dr. Love

More Promise romance to come, some real high grade Young Romance photocovers and other romance as well.

He's obviously into COMICS, more than just superhero.  Hitting all the genres at the time, except maybe not funny animal/cartoon.  There is the one high grade Four Color though, so there may be more.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:56 AM, Dr. Love said:

and here are the Promise romance to date.  It's beginning to look like the kid was more a Church type of collector, buying books because that's the mission, having not much to do with genre preference.  I find it hard to believe a male teen in that period would be "into" romance books on the basis of they were just so awesome!  And romance photocovers?  

As we know, romance photo covers are generally slow sellers (except for the few salacious covers).  I wonder if these Promise books will bring nice prices or stratospheric prices.  Your information might put a crimp in my buying at the Torpedo Con. hm

On 7/27/2021 at 8:27 PM, Microbia said:

Finally found the girl of my dreams after looking for years. Only unrestored copy on census.

CBA75060-D14B-48C8-9FE2-EC931A5D00B9.jpeg

:cloud9::luhv::whatthe:

I'm going to imagine that those "smudges" are reflections or dirt on the case.  :sumo:

BEAUTIFUL!