• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,489 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 6:02 PM, szav said:

Makes sense then.  Seems like they may not have sold well because you see a few titles that started with drawn covers that went over to photos mid run, only to go back to drawn again later in the run.

Thank God St. John decided to make the switch on Cinderella Love

On 8/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I've read where Young Romance #1 is considered to be the first romance book.

Is there a consensus as to the first appearance of Good Girl Art?  Or is this an impossible question, with just too many examples that could be considered GGA?

It was Fox's post-WWII output in Blue Beetle, Jojo, Phantom Lady etc. and the art of Baker, Feldstein and Kamen that was the inspiration for defining a comicbook GGA genre, though there are certainly plenty of other GGA books before and after.  With Fox, the "message" was more clearly and consistently stated, but it was an evolution of what had occured prior, so not sure it makes sense to pick a "first" GGA issue.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:41 PM, eschnit said:

Thank God St. John decided to make the switch on Cinderella Love

Interestingly, those are not the St John issues.  Ziff-Davis had the title rights for a few issues.

On 8/19/2021 at 3:04 PM, Dr. Love said:

Now that's one you wont see everyday. At least not in the USA!

I wonder why they couldn't use the same photocover as the American edition. I'm also thinking not 52 pages, yeh?

Only 28 pages with contents from the Alice Kay photo cover issue (v3n5 - #17).  Maybe they thought Alice wouldn't sell as well as Lana Turner?

On 8/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, adamstrange said:

It was Fox's post-WWII output in Blue Beetle, Jojo, Phantom Lady etc. and the art of Baker, Feldstein and Kamen that was the inspiration for defining a comicbook GGA genre, though there are certainly plenty of other GGA books before and after.  With Fox, the "message" was more clearly and consistently stated, but it was an evolution of what had occured prior, so not sure it makes sense to pick a "first" GGA issue.

Especially as it is one of the most abused descriptors of the era. Some people seem to think "Good Girl Art" applies to any competently drawn attractive woman on or in a Golden Age comic book. 

On 8/21/2021 at 5:22 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Here is a panel from the cover of New Fun Comics #5 (Aug. 1935).  It may qualify as the earliest candidate for GGA.  I also believe it's the earliest bondage cover.

NewFun5Panel.jpg

That’s definitely GGA. And unless you count Little Orphan Annie, I declare this . . .^^