• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,491 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2021 at 10:18 AM, Shrevvy said:

Is this reprints of US material or is it original content?

On 9/25/2021 at 2:21 PM, telerites said:

I actually just got these in a few days ago and haven't looked through them.  I will take a look and let you kmow.

The L. Miller published books are USA created content and printed in glorious black and white (the I Love You cover art is by an unknown UK artist - who provided many cover illustrations).  I imagine the Streamline is the same (USA content/UK cover art), but I've been focusing on L. Miller.  The advertising in them is "original content".  :banana:

On 9/28/2021 at 9:22 PM, Yorick said:

The L. Miller published books are USA created content and printed in glorious black and white (the I Love You cover art is by an unknown UK artist - who provided many cover illustrations).  I imagine the Streamline is the same (USA content/UK cover art), but I've been focusing on L. Miller.  The advertising in them is "original content".  :banana:

Thanks @Yorick

Sorry, @Shrevvy totally slipped my mind. 

On 10/6/2021 at 10:45 AM, davidtere said:

I was box kicking the other day and rediscovered this amongst stuff that I haven't seen in awhile. I always liked the weird cover composition, with the swing being so high in the air (higher than the fence Freddie is trying to build). Probably not rare, but fun nevertheless. 

54012E7A-070B-424E-B870-4047A9443537.jpeg

Her eyes... :S

On 10/6/2021 at 12:45 PM, davidtere said:

I was box kicking the other day and rediscovered this amongst stuff that I haven't seen in awhile. I always liked the weird cover composition, with the swing being so high in the air (higher than the fence Freddie is trying to build). Probably not rare, but fun nevertheless. 

54012E7A-070B-424E-B870-4047A9443537.jpeg

I think it is pretty rare. Can't remember seeing a copy before. 

As an aside, I do wish CGC would make up its mind about whether Superior books are Canadian or not. They seem to go back and forth on the question. 

On 9/25/2021 at 9:46 PM, Point Five said:

This run of Dear Lonely Hearts by Comic Media is all pretty tough... here's a #3 I just got in. It's hard not to wonder how many young women were scared off of actual romance completely from this nutty series... every issue seems to feature at least one story where a woman's suitor turns out to be a serial killer. Sheesh! This one serves up the goods with the lead story "Terror Stalks The Lonely Heart."

dearlonelyhearts3.thumb.jpg.716673acc7872cc77a9a214def614fe4.jpg

With stories like that, her brother will read it, too!

On 8/21/2021 at 6:22 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Here is a panel from the cover of New Fun Comics #5 (Aug. 1935).  It may qualify as the earliest candidate for GGA.  I also believe it's the earliest bondage cover.

NewFun5Panel.jpg

This is great. Never seen anyone point this out before. 

On 8/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, szav said:

Makes sense then.  Seems like they may not have sold well because you see a few titles that started with drawn covers that went over to photos mid run, only to go back to drawn again later in the run.

I wonder whether it might also have had something to do with non-comic magazines aimed at pre-teen and teen girls mostly having photo covers? Perhaps the thinking was that photo covers was the approach to use when aiming at that market?

On 10/9/2021 at 9:29 PM, waaaghboss said:

Figure this is the correct place to ask.  Am I trippin, or is True Life Secrets 25 a follow-up to True Life Secrets 23?  Don't own either book, trying to figure out why 25 is going well above guide on the bay.

123.jpg.6edf74aecefe5b9b3f308b4fee78d047.jpg

123.thumb.jpg.c1438ab89a12b7f4e0f83e7b8a2ce6a8.jpg

Woah, you're totally right. Never noticed that. 

On 10/10/2021 at 7:08 AM, Ryan. said:

Woah, you're totally right. Never noticed that. 

Me, either. I guess she did what she needed to do get them, which, it turns out, made it hard to keep them. :whatthe:

Edited by Sqeggs