• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,486 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2022 at 10:36 AM, Rip said:

I always felt like this was a good companion piece to Lovers 49.

While its Colletta, sure looks a lot like Jay Scott Pike's covers.

Secret story romances 7.jpg

Fantastic!  Love these Atlas romance you've got!  

Hey Rip, is it possible you could shoot some pics of the Colletta story inside this book and post them here?  Over the years I've been coming around to think that the best interior work done for romance was Colletta in 1954.  Baker's covers were sublime, but he had a huge workload for St. John and couldn't put a ton of effort into the inside pages.  Plus the thing about St. John is the stories were less about the art and more a vehicle for a distinctive editorial point of view envisioned by Archer St. John and carried out with scripts written by Dana Dutch.  

I've never owned a copy of this book, and that's the only way to see the story - no digital uploads out there for any Marvel work.  It would be a real service to this thread.  And any of the other books you posted recently, if possible, art by Colletta, those would be great too!  

Edited by Dr. Love

I haven't received this one yet in the mail yet. (I quickly popped the BIN this morning when I saw it) but I do have a pic of the first interior page which looks fantastic.

I've been a real fan of Atlas romance. There's really a lot of undiscovered gems here. The interior artwork is often top notch with a lot of detail. And the price really feels like a deal in comparison.

Not to mention they can be quite difficult to track down in most any shape.

Even Patsy Walker and her various titles had some really knockout Al Hartley covers that were a bit less cartoonish and drawn with a bit more detail. I just love all that detail work going on, from the dog, to the two straws in the soda bottle, to the rolled up blinds.

secret romance interior.jpg

Girls life 2.jpg

Edited by Rip

On 1/10/2022 at 3:17 PM, Rip said:

Even Patsy Walker and her various titles had some really knockout Al Hartley covers that were a bit less cartoonish and drawn with a bit more detail. I just love all that detail work going on, from the dog, to the two straws in the soda bottle, to the rolled up blinds.

I agree.  Sweet cover from Al!