• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,489 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2022 at 1:41 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I was pleased to nab this copy recently, with a Thorpe & Porter UK distribution stamp. It seems to be fairly uncommon.

The GCD has this under the index notes:

"Colletta suggested by Ger Apeldoorn. Giordano suggested by Nick Caputo. Previous indexer credited Steve Ditko"

What do you guys think?

If Steve Ditko and Vince Colleta had a baby who grew up to be an artist, then this is how he would draw a romance cover.

I don't see Giordano being involved.  I'm not certain Ditko was involved as Colleta may have imitated or swiped from him.  I do think Colleta was involved at the very least as inker and possibly for everything.

Edited by adamstrange

On 3/19/2022 at 12:41 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I was pleased to nab this copy recently, with a Thorpe & Porter UK distribution stamp. It seems to be fairly uncommon.

"Colletta suggested by Ger Apeldoorn. Giordano suggested by Nick Caputo. Previous indexer credited Steve Ditko"

What do you guys think?

968387969_1959.03RomanticSecrets20TPStamp.thumb.jpg.c668de34c97deb88830478a4b2c4b22b.jpg

On the tree those definitely look like Colletta's balls. You can spot Colletta's balls from a mile away.

On 3/19/2022 at 1:41 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

What do you guys think?

968387969_1959.03RomanticSecrets20TPStamp.thumb.jpg.c668de34c97deb88830478a4b2c4b22b.jpg

No comment :canofworms:

But it reminds me of this one 

Teen-AgeTemptations02cover.jpg

it's Colletta. Not even Giordano pencils.  If any swiping, then most likely from Baker. Nick Caputo did a lot of crediting work for GCD, but Ger Apeldoorn has a better eye for Colletta.  Of course, the best eye is moir.

The proportions, the clothing graphics, the use of shadowing, the effervescent joy - this cover is both simple and powerful.  It's strongly evocative.  Like his mentor, Toth, Colletta didn't need dialogue for the viewer to grasp the scene.

this is what Giordano looks like, left to his own

Cover for Love Diary (Charlton, 1958 series) #2

Colletta.  See the leg placement on the guy.  Look familiar to the leg swing on the girl in the Romantic Secrets?

Cover for My Secret Life (Charlton, 1957 series) #28

but if we're talking Giordano, this is his best romance cover imho

Cover for Young Love (DC, 1963 series) #76

But one of the greatest things about this Romantic Secrets issue?

it's the 8000 Prizes stunt.  John Santangelo did things outside the box.  For a 3 month period from 2/59 - 4/59, all the romance titles (except one) ran the 8000 Prizes promo on the cover.  It's a little subsubsubsub genre if anyone besides me is interested.

But it must not have worked as planned in terms of increased sales. Santangelo, never one to roll over without all out effort, in 8/59 moved from the 8000 Prizes to...

win a goddam pool! Regulation Size, installed, with diving board and filtering system - in ground baby!

Cover for Teen Confessions (Charlton, 1959 series) #1

and when that didn't work, how about...two round trip tickets to Disneyland...or New York!

Cover for Teen Secret Diary (Charlton, 1959 series) #3

BUY MORE BOOKS!!!

On 3/20/2022 at 12:17 AM, Dr. Love said:

this is what Giordano looks like, left to his own

Cover for Love Diary (Charlton, 1958 series) #2

Colletta.  See the leg placement on the guy.  Look familiar to the leg swing on the girl in the Romantic Secrets?

Cover for My Secret Life (Charlton, 1957 series) #28

but if we're talking Giordano, this is his best romance cover imho

Cover for Young Love (DC, 1963 series) #76

Thanks Doc - but I can't see your pictures 507153484_Magnifyingglass.gif.7452132cc3a377f6b9adf6c42a01976e.gif  Capture.thumb.PNG.46d1bd2b728560a8c247c43c03ea187f.PNG

On 3/20/2022 at 12:28 AM, Dr. Love said:

But it must not have worked as planned in terms of increased sales. Santangelo, never one to roll over without all out effort, in 8/59 moved from the 8000 Prizes to...

win a goddam pool! Regulation Size, installed, with diving board and filtering system - in ground baby!

Cover for Teen Confessions (Charlton, 1959 series) #1

and when that didn't work, how about...two round trip tickets to Disneyland...or New York!

Cover for Teen Secret Diary (Charlton, 1959 series) #3

:bigsmile: I used to take the Michael about the competitions in my Charlton thread - a nice bit of Turkish Taffy and a full size swimming pool. And all likely bogus....

@Dr. Love Andy I would never claim to be more knowledgeable on the subject of romance comics than you, you are second to none (worship)

While I agree that the LD #2 looks like Giordano, and the TC#1 and TSD#3 are without a doubt Colletta (has his scratchy ink heavy style complete with lashes and flowers)I respectfully disagree that the cover of My Secret Life #28 (and a small select batch of other Charltons)are his and his alone (and yes I know he signed it). 

The profile of the woman in front with the big eyes screams Baker and you can never miss a Baker woman's smile (the lady at the table). And the man at the table looks like the man in this (accepted as Baker) splash. Posture,  creases in pants and jacket.

My feeling is it's a ghost or an unfinished Baker work he fleshed out. You know I respect you and hope this can just be one of those agree to disagree moments.:foryou:

20211217_090814.jpg

Edited by sagii

On 3/25/2022 at 3:53 PM, Point Five said:

(thumbsu

No doubt you know this, but Ray Osrin inked a number of those classic Baker covers. This one has a lovely Baker-ish feel IMO.

Osrin did good work. There's fun history of Baker's inkers in this book:

3318350.jpg

Edited by Ryan.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:26 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes it is. And now there will be an actual recorded sale. Here is what it looked like before:

19569726-6368-46A4-A884-0C685E32026E.png

My first Baker romance was a low grade copy of 13 I paid $5.00 for. About a fair. I had it for awhile and tried to unload it, nobody wanted it. Finally sold, might have been here. Thought I could upgrade. Took years. Very tough. BTW where is the Ha article on the 20 rarest St. John's? I can't find it.