• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,113 posts in this topic

There are later newsstand prints for Superman #75. Here is my 3rd print. If I remember correctly there is also a 4th print newsstand version.

Superman753rdPrintNewsstand_zpscd9fd182.jpg

Ok, ok, but are there any 2nd print Newsstands with Mark Jewelers inserts??? :insane:lol

If Bob Overstreet were to make a distinction between newsstand and direct editions in the OPG I'm sure people would sit up and take notice. That's what happened with Marvel price variants. It took years to catch on. But once Overstreet broke it out in the guide, it started to take off. You really need somebody with influence in the hobby to take it out of the niche market and make it more widespread and desirable. Just because a few dealers might charge more (I'm looking at you, Chuck) doesn't mean everybody will buy into it.

Edited by jaeldubyoo

If Bob Overstreet were to make a distinction between newsstand and direct editions in the OPG I'm sure people would sit up and take notice. That's what happened with Marvel price variants. It took years to catch on. But once Overstreet broke it out in the guide, it started to take off. You really need somebody with influence in the hobby to take it out of the niche market and make it more widespread and desirable. Just because a few dealers might charge more (I'm looking at you, Chuck) doesn't mean everybody will buy into it.

Maybe just a factor percentage higher or lower note for books. Similar to how pence books have been historically dealt with.

Pence sell for 60-70% US

Newsstand sell for 110-125% of Direct.

And pull out key book that sell for divergent percentages

Etc?

Maybe just a factor percentage higher or lower note for books. Similar to how pence books have been historically dealt with.

Pence sell for 60-70% US

Newsstand sell for 110-125% of Direct.

And pull out key book that sell for divergent percentages

Etc?

(thumbs u

If there is a direct / newsstand of a book, I will only look for the newsstand version. Not sure if the hobby will ever separate but collectors like myself would trade a direct 9.8 for Newstand 9.8 ALL DAY LONG

Generally there is no price difference because not enough people care either way. And it will most likely always be that way.

Wrong. It's not even that way now.

Try checking the sale prices for ASM 300 with UPC vs. direct edition.

Try checking the sale prices for MOS 18 with UPC vs. direct edition.

Try checking the sale prices for Spawn 1 with UPC vs. direct edition.

Generally, copper age comics are worthless, so it doesn't matter... therefore there is no difference when we're talking about $2 or less.

When a comic has value, though, there is a difference... not to everyone...

but enough people know that newsstand copies were badly handled

and often returned to know that you can't find them in top shape as often as direct editions.

Those people do know the difference... and, yes, some people don't know the difference or don't care.

The market reflects the activities of both the people who know and the people who don't.

When you average "no difference" with "some difference", you still get "some difference".

Generally there is no price difference because not enough people care either way. And it will most likely always be that way.

Generally, copper age comics are worthless, so it doesn't matter... therefore there is no difference when we're talking about $2 or less.

and often returned to know that you can't find them in top shape as often as direct editions.

Those people do know the difference... and, yes, some people don't know the difference or don't care.

The market reflects the activities of both the people who know and the people who don't.

When you average "no difference" with "some difference", you still get "some difference".

If someone is willing to drink the dealer Kool Aid that there should be a "premium" for newsstand versions, more power to them. But for every person who will pay a premium there are far more who won't, thus no real price differences ever actually develop. It really is just a way for somebody to feel like they have something that is more "rare" or "special" than someone else. If they are willing to pay more to get that feeling, great. But the market doesn't consistently support the alleged price difference in any of the books that you just mentioned.

-J.

If someone is willing to drink the dealer Kool Aid that there should be a "premium" for newsstand versions, more power to them. But for every person who will pay a premium there are far more who won't, thus no real price differences ever actually develop. It really is just a way for somebody to feel like they have something that is more "rare" or "special" than someone else. If they are willing to pay more to get that feeling, great. But the market doesn't consistently support the alleged price difference in any of the books that you just mentioned.

-J.

Actually Jay, check again. I think it does. :whistle: (And all because WE discussed it HERE). lol

-J.

Actually Jay, check again. I think it does. :whistle: (And all because WE discussed it HERE). lol

I checked. It's the same thing as the white label/black label Walking Dead 1 non-issue. One person might pay a little more. Everyone sees that one slightly higher sale and thinks theirs should now be "worth" more too. Then three other sales or listings pop up where there was no "premium" paid. Or a listing where someone is specifically asking for more because of the UPC code sits unsold forever. Everyone ignores those. Hence, no real price difference.

-J.

Did you even take a math class at that junior high school you rule, dog?

(Seriously, I can't imagine anyone over the age of 14 putting both "dog" and "rules" in their username.)

If some are zero (as you claim) and some are not zero (as the market shows), then you combine the two groups... what is the average result?

Not zero.

Did you even take a math class at that junior high school you rule, dog?

(Seriously, I can't imagine anyone over the age of 14 putting both "dog" and "rules" in their username.)

If some are zero (as you claim) and some are not zero (as the market shows), then you combine the two groups... what is the average result?

Not zero.

Ugh. Point being since there is no empirical evidence that the newsstand versions consistently sell for any kind of "premium" why turn away 90% of your potential customers by trying to charge one.

-J.

Guys, please stop arguing with this guy. He is so negative across the board that I just don't even see his posts anymore.

The boards have been nicer to be on since I did.

:)

-slym

Wow. A little like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it? If by "negative" you mean I offer a dissenting opinion, then yes I'm "negative". Keep in mind though that I am also a buyer, not a dealer on these boards, so maybe you want to make a note as to what actual BUYERS are looking for and willing to pay for, instead of talking to mostly other DEALERS who are just going to tell you what you want to hear because they are using the same sales tactics as you.

-J.

Ugh. Point being since there is no empirical evidence that the newsstand versions consistently sell for any kind of "premium" why turn away 90% of your potential customers by trying to charge one.

What customers?

I'm not a dealer. I'm a buyer. I pay more for high grade newsstand because I remember the newsstand.

I remember being in the grocery store with my parents as a pre-teen and seeing bent-to-heck comics.

I know the unsold copies got sent back, shredded and recycled.

It doesn't make me feel like I have something more rare and more special.

It IS special. I know the history of a newsstand comic.

It didn't get put into a bag and board on the first day and set out for sale.

It survived.

Why would I tell sellers that I will pay more for something that I could get for the same price if I just shut up?

Because I'm not the one telling them. The market is.

To win newsstand books, I have to bid higher than other buyers of newsstand books.

Sometimes I win. Sometimes they outbid me. Either way, newsstand matters.

What customers?

I'm not a dealer. I'm a buyer. I pay more for high grade newsstand because I remember the newsstand.

I remember being in the grocery store with my parents as a pre-teen and seeing bent-to-heck comics.

I know the unsold copies got sent back, shredded and recycled.

Why would I tell sellers that I will pay more for something that I could get for the same price if I just shut up?

Because I'm not the one telling them. The market is.

To win newsstand books, I have to bid higher than other buyers of newsstand books.

Sometimes I win. Sometimes they outbid me. Either way, newsstand matters.

I grant you that if it matters to you, then whether or not you pay more for them works for you.

I am one for whom it does not matter, and I will not pay more.

ALL of my collector friends feel the same way. We have seen newsstand versions go for less than direct versions in BIN and auctions.

Since the track record is spotty at best, why pay more when it probably does not matter in the end?

I'm not telling you not to do it. I'm saying that enough don't do it so as to render any real long term price difference negligible to non-existent. I apologize if my differing opinion offends you. But sometimes a little perspective from the other side of the coin can be a good thing. Notice how I am not poo-pooing yours, or trying to get personal about things.

-J.