• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

40 Years of Punisher

56 posts in this topic

I'm gonna post the largest 129 collection tribute soon I'm waiting on one last book hope I get it before February is up :(

Can"t wait to see your collection solarcadet. :)

I'm gonna post the largest 129 collection tribute soon I'm waiting on one last book hope I get it before February is up :(

Thanks!!! I will ask everyone to post their favorite punisher covers I think you will have that pretty much covered lol

I wasn't born yet so i cannot say how readers must have felt in 1974 to see this unique type of antihero

I bet it was a great time back then with all the great Bronze Age w all the excellent Neal Adams artwork and ASM stories...

All hail to Frank Castle!!!!!!!

Thanks!!! I will ask everyone to post their favorite punisher covers I think you will have that pretty much covered lol

I wasn't born yet so i cannot say how readers must have felt in 1974 to see this unique type of antihero

I bet it was a great time back then with all the great Bronze Age w all the excellent Neal Adams artwork and ASM stories...

Not to burst your bubble but the Punisher didn't really gain popularity until the mid to late '80s. Until then he just wasn't a big deal. From 1985 until at least the middle of '86 I clearly recall picking up copies of ASM #129 in the $20-$25 range. At one point I probably had 25 or 30 copies. When it started to gain momentum and reached the $100+ mark I was using them for trade material towards SA books I wanted . I traded one straight up for an ASM #6 and another for a DD #1.

Remember buying that off the rack. Also remember it turning into a 5 issue series instead of 4.

I remember plucking the first issue from the rack at my then LCS. I don't remember buying many comics but I do remember this one for some reason.

Not to burst your bubble but the Punisher didn't really gain popularity until the mid to late '80s. Until then he just wasn't a big deal. From 1985 until at least the middle of '86 I clearly recall picking up copies of ASM #129 in the $20-$25 range. At one point I probably had 25 or 30 copies. When it started to gain momentum and reached the $100+ mark I was using them for trade material towards SA books I wanted . I traded one straight up for an ASM #6 and another for a DD #1.

Yeah, the Zeck mini series really started Punny on his way to superstardom.

I agree with Tim i knew Punisher didnt hit stardom until Zeck's rebirthing and fleshing of the character. I just wonder what did readers think literally the months of Feb and March 1974 of this character.

You have to give it to Frank Castle considering he has been a strong character among heros and villains with powers and mutant abilities.

Are the Punisher, Batman, Green Arrow, and Iron Man the only ones with no powers and not mutants???

Love me Mr. Castle. Definitely my 2nd fav character after DD.

you just made the lightbulb in my head go off. :idea::idea::idea:

Daredevil has no powers either. He is basically a blind Batman lol

Daredevil would really impress me if he could drive the batmobile :tonofbricks:

lol a lot of people have made the DD-Batman "connection."

- Both dark, gritty, noir characters with no superpowers.

- Both lucky (but also unlucky if you know what I mean) with the ladies.

- Both had parent figure(s) die while young. A basis for who they are now.

- Both of their arch nemesis are pyschotic killers with no moral compass (Joker & Bullseye).

- Both have a non-super powered sidekick (Alfred the Butler and Foggy Nelson the assistant Lawyer).

- Scarecrow and Mr. Fear are essentially the same villain that use "fear gas."

- Both associated very much (even trained) with/by ninjas.

There's more, Im just typing off the top of my head.

lol a lot of people have made the DD-Batman "connection."

- Both dark, gritty, noir characters with no superpowers.

- Both lucky (but also unlucky if you know what I mean) with the ladies.

- Both had parent figure(s) die while young. A basis for who they are now.

- Both of their arch nemesis are pyschotic killers with no moral compass (Joker & Bullseye).

- Both have a non-super powered sidekick (Alfred the Butler and Foggy Nelson the assistant Lawyer).

- Scarecrow and Mr. Fear are essentially the same villain that use "fear gas."

- Both associated very much (even trained) with/by ninjas.

There's more, Im just typing off the top of my head.

you make excellent points...

So if you had a Hunger Games type scenario who would come out the champion out of non super powered non mutants? My money would be on Daredevil actually but this would be a great debate perhaps a new forum topic? hm

Batman

Daredevil

Green Arrow

Punisher

Iron Man