• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the top 10 marvel silver keys?
3 3

187 posts in this topic

Just in the order I would buy them if I could afford one of them each month for 10 months:

1.Journey Into Mystery 83

2.Incredible Hulk 1

3.Fantastic Four 1

4.Amazing Fantasy 15

5.Avengers 1

6.Tales of Suspense 39

7.Fantastic Four 5

8.Daredevil 1

9.X-Men 1

10.Journey Into Mystery 85

Edited by Gloomfire

hmmmmm something tells me a top 10 silver age marvel villains is needed.

(1) FF #5 - Doom

(2) X-Men #1 - Magneto

(3) JIM #85 - Loki

(4) ASM #3 - Doc Ock

(5) ASM #14 - Green Goblin

(6) .............

(1) FF #5 - Doom

(2) X-Men #1 - Magneto

(3) JIM #85 - Loki

(4) ASM #3 - Doc Ock

(6)juggernaut

(7)galactus

(8)kingpin

(9)ultron

(10)mandarin

(1) FF #5 - Doom

(2) X-Men #1 - Magneto

(3) JIM #85 - Loki

(4) ASM #3 - Doc Ock

(6)juggernaut

(7)galactus

(8)kingpin

(9)ultron

(10)mandarin

I'm not seeing Paste-Pot Pete here. :taptaptap:

Here's my top ten silvers... :grin:

1. Amazing Fantasy #15

2. Fantastic Four #1

3. Incredible Hulk #1

4. X-Men #1

5. Avengers #1

6. Journey into Mystery #83

7. Tales of Suspense #39

8. Fantastic Four #5

9. Daredevil #1

10.Tales to Astonish #27

11. Avengers #4 **honorable mention**

I agree with everything, but when I look at what the Goblin has accomplished as a villain in comparison to Doom, I see some big differences.

Doom Vs F.F in most cases, and in 99% of time was defeated with no lasting mark. His main goal is always best Reed.

Where Goblin was able to discover Spidey's secret Identity, and even murdered his Girl. Marvel finally branched him outside Spidey's universe with Aftermath to Civil War. Making Norman more noticeable to the Marvel Universe.

Lastly

Dafoe (Oscar Nominated Actor) Vs McMahon (Nothing yet) :)

My 2cents

Just in the order I would buy them if I could afford one of them each month for 10 months:

1.Journey Into Mystery 83

2.Incredible Hulk 1

3.Fantastic Four 1

4.Amazing Fantasy 15

5.Avengers 1

6.Tales of Suspense 39

7.Fantastic Four 5

8.Daredevil 1

9.X-Men 1

10.Journey Into Mystery 85

I'm with you.I don't think JIM 83 gets enough respect. (thumbs u

I agree GSXM 1 gives us the X-Men which everyone prefers (well at least I do). But come on Magneto and Professor X in X-Men 1 make it such a huge key and ultimately more important that GSXM 1 IMO.

Hmmm Magneto and Prof X vs the all new all diff Cockrum/Clairmont Xmen... (tsk)

Not denying what Cockrum/Clairmont did to the X-Men wasn't fantastic, but they don't have the building blocks without Professor X and Magneto. Plus Magneto is one of the best Marvel Villains (I am entirely biased here).

I agree. Perhaps if GSX1 introduced Wolverine then it would be bigger than Xmen 1, but it didnt... We really only get Storm, Warpath, Colossus and Nightcrawler. That isn't bigger than jean grey, cyclops, iceman, beast, magneto, angel and professor X.

I think your biased because that Kirby fella had something to do w Xmen #1 :foryou:

But.... I still think the power of GSX 1 was the "synergy" of the new Xmen team. This was the rebirth-Boost of Hero genre. I know Star Wars was huge for Marvel, but Conan and Monster mags were not going to keep the lights on beyond the 70s.

Im baffled how this could even be an argument...

do a little experiment here and simply ask yourself or x-fans the following;

would you rather have a sharp looking cgc 6.0-8.0 X-men #1 or a cgc 9.6-9.8 GSX#1..??

Literally every X-fan Ive ever asked immediately says X-men #1..

-nuff said

hmmmmm something tells me a top 10 silver age marvel villains is needed.

(1) FF #5 - Doom

(2) X-Men #1 - Magneto

(3) JIM #85 - Loki

(4) ASM #3 - Doc Ock

(6) .............

(1) FF #5 - Doom

(2) X-Men #1 - Magneto

(3) JIM #85 - Loki

(4) ASM #3 - Doc Ock

(6)juggernaut

(7)galactus

(8)kingpin

(9)ultron

(10)mandarin

My person opinion on the

Top 10 Marvel Villain 1st SA Appearances:

1. Fantastic Four 5

2. Amazing Spider-Man 14

3. X-Men 1

4. Journey Into Mystery 85

5. Fantastic Four 48

6. Fantastic Four 4

7. Amazing Spider-Man 3

8. Amazing Spider-Man 50

9. Tales of Suspense 50

10. Tales of Suspense 65

I agree with everything, but when I look at what the Goblin has accomplished as a villain in comparison to Doom, I see some big differences.

Doom Vs F.F in most cases, and in 99% of time was defeated with no lasting mark. His main goal is always best Reed.

Where Goblin was able to discover Spidey's secret Identity, and even murdered his Girl. Marvel finally branched him outside Spidey's universe with Aftermath to Civil War. Making Norman more noticeable to the Marvel Universe.

Lastly

Dafoe (Oscar Nominated Actor) Vs McMahon (Nothing yet) :)

My 2cents

I think in the context of this thread being in the Silver Age section, GG doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Much of the GG's accomplishments you've cited happened after the Silver Age, and although I can't stand the 'Fantastic Four', I have to give credit where its due and say that Dr. Doom is the most important & most impactful Silver Age villain in the Marvel Universe.

1. Amazing Fantasy #15

2. Fantastic Four #1

3. Incredible Hulk #1

4. X-Men #1

5. Avengers #1

7. Tales of Suspense #39

8. Fantastic Four #5

9. Daredevil #1

10.Tales to Astonish #27

Wow, you consider all of these to be more important/impactful to the Silver Age than ASM #1???

1. Amazing Fantasy #15

2. Fantastic Four #1

3. Incredible Hulk #1

4. X-Men #1

5. Avengers #1

7. Tales of Suspense #39

8. Fantastic Four #5

9. Daredevil #1

10.Tales to Astonish #27

Wow, you consider all of these to be more important/impactful to the Silver Age than ASM #1???

Yeah, that's a bold statement. I can't see Avengers 1 as having more of an impact as Spidey 1. Which brought us the Bugle, JJJ, The Chameleon and Spidey in his own title. All the others there can be an argument for I guess. But that's just my opinion.

1. Amazing Fantasy #15

2. Fantastic Four #1

3. Incredible Hulk #1

4. X-Men #1

5. Avengers #1

7. Tales of Suspense #39

8. Fantastic Four #5

9. Daredevil #1

10.Tales to Astonish #27

Yeah, that's a bold statement. I can't see Avengers 1 as having more of an impact as Spidey 1. Which brought us the Bugle, JJJ, The Chameleon and Spidey in his own title. All the others there can be an argument for I guess. But that's just my opinion.

I'd have to put ASM1 somewhere between 4 & 7. Spider-man is just a much bigger character than any of the others that the first issue in his own title has to be up there. Someone else mentioned that a good analogy is in the GA where Superman 1 and Batman 1 are considered the 3rd and 4th most valuable books behind only Action 1 and Tec 27. Big "first" appearances lag like Marvel 1, Cap 1, and All-American 16. While the gap between Spidey and the Hulk may not be as wide as say Batman and the Green Lantern, there is no question that Spidey is king.

I agree GSXM 1 gives us the X-Men which everyone prefers (well at least I do). But come on Magneto and Professor X in X-Men 1 make it such a huge key and ultimately more important that GSXM 1 IMO.

Hmmm Magneto and Prof X vs the all new all diff Cockrum/Clairmont Xmen... (tsk)

Not denying what Cockrum/Clairmont did to the X-Men wasn't fantastic, but they don't have the building blocks without Professor X and Magneto. Plus Magneto is one of the best Marvel Villains (I am entirely biased here).

I agree. Perhaps if GSX1 introduced Wolverine then it would be bigger than Xmen 1, but it didnt... We really only get Storm, Warpath, Colossus and Nightcrawler. That isn't bigger than jean grey, cyclops, iceman, beast, magneto, angel and professor X.

I think your biased because that Kirby fella had something to do w Xmen #1 :foryou:

But.... I still think the power of GSX 1 was the "synergy" of the new Xmen team. This was the rebirth-Boost of Hero genre. I know Star Wars was huge for Marvel, but Conan and Monster mags were not going to keep the lights on beyond the 70s.

Im baffled how this could even be an argument...

do a little experiment here and simply ask yourself or x-fans the following;

would you rather have a sharp looking cgc 6.0-8.0 X-men #1 or a cgc 9.6-9.8 GSX#1..??

Literally every X-fan Ive ever asked immediately says X-men #1..

-nuff said

Be baffled - I would take GSX in 9.8 over Xmen1 in Fine range. It is a good thing we all have different favorites else some comics would be worthless and others so expensive no one could afford them : )

1. Amazing Fantasy #15

2. Fantastic Four #1

3. Incredible Hulk #1

4. X-Men #1

5. Avengers #1

7. Tales of Suspense #39

8. Fantastic Four #5

9. Daredevil #1

10.Tales to Astonish #27

I'd have to put ASM1 somewhere between 4 & 7. Spider-man is just a much bigger character than any of the others that the first issue in his own title has to be up there. Someone else mentioned that a good analogy is in the GA where Superman 1 and Batman 1 are considered the 3rd and 4th most valuable books behind only Action 1 and Tec 27. Big "first" appearances lag like Marvel 1, Cap 1, and All-American 16. While the gap between Spidey and the Hulk may not be as wide as say Batman and the Green Lantern, there is no question that Spidey is king.

Yeah, that was me. Still having a hard time wrapping my head around TTA 27, ST110, SGT Fury 1 and some of the others folks listed as the top 10 most important/impactful Silver Age Marvels.

This was my list, and now that I think about it, Isn't Submariner the 1st Marvel mutant? If so, that would lend further credence to the importance of FF #4

1. AF 15 (hey, 1st Spidey. 'nuff said)

2. ASM 1 (Continuation of the most popular comics character of the last 50 years, 1st appearance of: The Daily Bugle; J Jonah Jameson; John Jameson (later Man-Wolf); 1st appearance of the Chameleon; tied with FF 12 as 1st Silver Age Marvel x-over)

3. FF #1 (1st key silver age Marvel book)

4. X-Men #1 (The Mutant Age begins here, and so does Magneto. Although it would take a while for mutuants to pick up steam, this is where it all started)

5. ToS 39 (The metal age hero and key founding member of the Avengers joins the Marvel universe)

6. Hulk #1 (Monster as the lead title character. Clearly, the Atom Age monster features are bridging the gap towards the Superhero resurgance)

7. JIM 83 (Hark, the G-ds have entered the Silver Age fray. Also, no Thor = no Loki, and No Loki = no Avengers?)

8. FF#5 (1st Dr. Doom is cannot be overemphasized. He is the baddie that has plagued all Marvel heroes and he's also the 1st Marvel villain to command his own series)

9. FF#4 (1st Subby is the bridge that binds GA Marvel to SA Marvel. Mayeb no Captain America in Avengers #4 if it weren't for this book. What's that, Timmy? You didn't know Marvel Comics existed before FF#1?)

10. Avengers #1 (Great showcase for Marvel's heroes, with ever-changing lineup and a good excuse to defrost Captain America and re-introduce him to the Marvel Universe)

Others:

Strange Tales 110 is a dull thud. 4th tier character unable to hold his own title with any great publication frequency. Ditko art was brilliant, and so was Steranko, but let's be honest here and agree the character had no impact.

TTA 27. Aside from creating Ultron, Hank Pym's impact to the Marvel Universe has been what, exactly? Definitely shouldn't be in the Top 10 above the other books in my list.

Strange Tales 110 is a dull thud. 4th tier character unable to hold his own title with any great publication frequency. Ditko art was brilliant, and so was Steranko, but let's be honest here and agree the character had no impact.

This is revisionist history. As much if not more so than any character in the Marvel Universe, Dr. Strange made comic books cool for college age kids in the sixties. Pink Floyd wasn't putting any other Marvel or DC hero onto their album covers, or working any other hero into their lyrics. The Dr. Strange blacklight posters were best sellers. Interest in mysticism peaked in the sixties, and restaurants like 'The Astral Plane' here in Philly as well as shops focused on the mystic arts became hugely popular.

He may not have been a big mover and shaker in the Marvel Universe in the past 30 years, and the times have most certainly changed, but from the dawn of the Marvel silver age to the height of the bronze, Dr. Strange was among the coolest and most influential, popular heroes.

This is revisionist history. As much if not more so than any character in the Marvel Universe, Dr. Strange made comic books cool for college age kids in the sixties. Pink Floyd wasn't putting any other Marvel or DC hero onto their album covers, or working any other hero into their lyrics. The Dr. Strange blacklight posters were best sellers. Interest in mysticism peaked in the sixties, and restaurants like 'The Astral Plane' here in Philly as well as shops focused on the mystic arts became hugely popular.

He may not have been a big mover and shaker in the Marvel Universe in the past 30 years, and the times have most certainly changed, but from the dawn of the Marvel silver age to the height of the bronze, Dr. Strange was among the coolest and most influential, popular heroes.

Not revisionist at all.

First and foremost, it was Spidey than made comic books cool for college age kids in the sixties, not Dr. Strange. Strange appealed to the fringes of comic collectors and this is clearly reflected by his inability to hold his own title and/or be part of a team in the Sixties, have his own cartoon, etc.

While his blacklight poster was cool, that doesn't make his 1st appearance in ST110 any more important/impactful.