• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Copper Age Books by OS Price

45 posts in this topic

Miracleman #1 Variant (easily the top $$$ book)

Miracleman #15

Amazing Spidey #300

What year did Xmen #266 come out? Does that make the 1992 cut-off?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not familiar with the Miracleman #1 Variant. What was that?

Also, what is the Overstreet list for Spidey 300?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Miracleman #1 Variant. What was that?

There are actually 2 variants. A "Gold" and a "Blue". Same book as the regular print, but these came with COA's signed by Moore (actually, I think only one of the COA's is signed. I can't recall which one). I think there were only 500 copies

One of our forum brother's had one up for sale a month or so ago (I'll try to dig up the thread and post a link for you). Book goes for upwards of 1K.

Also, what is the Overstreet list for Spidey 300?

Going by memory....I think OS lists it for $60 or $80. confused-smiley-013.gif It will be over $75 in this years guide. I'd almost bet on it.

I don't think it was a common problem (ala the printing defect on ASM #300). I've never heard of it. My copies are without a crease. #1 is one of the easiest of all the issues to get.

Here are census #'s:

9.8 - 15

9.6 - 49

9.4 - 24

9.2 - 15

I'd say a HG copy is fairly common.

MM came out in 1985, same year as Watchmen. Does anyone know which book came first? Moore had already started making a name for himself on Swamp Thing. Watchmen cemented his legacy. I would guess that MM#1 was heavily speculated on, even though it was just reprinted material.

Anybody "in the know" care to comment? Kevin Boyd? Donut? Rob?

I don't think it was a common problem (ala the printing defect on ASM #300).

MM came out in 1985, same year as Watchmen. Does anyone know which book came first? Moore had already started making a name for himself on Swamp Thing. Watchmen cemented his legacy. I would guess that MM#1 was heavily speculated on, even though it was just reprinted material.

Anybody "in the know" care to comment? Kevin Boyd? Donut? Rob?

First question, what was the defect in asm 300?

Second, MM #1 lists 1985 August while Watchmen was Sept 1986.

From what I remember about MM#1, When it came out my LCS limited everyone to just 2 copies because Eclipse made an annoucement that a huge shipment of them were damaged (don't know if that was ever true).

First question, what was the defect in asm 300?

Lots of copies have a jagged cut down the right side. It's fairly common on this issue. CGC has stated they do not downgrade for this defect.

Second, MM #1 lists 1985 August while Watchmen was Sept 1986.

foreheadslap.gif You're correct. Hard to remember these things sometimes (although I could've looked on the Census to verify my writings). Sorry.

From what I remember about MM#1, When it came out my LCS limited everyone to just 2 copies because Eclipse made an annoucement that a huge shipment of them were damaged

I have never heard this, although no reason to doubt you. I was only a youngster (10) back in 1985, so Miracleman wasn't a book that I would have been reading. It has only been in the past few years that I have been exposed to the vast majority of Moore's unmatched work. cloud9.gif

I think Eclipse was trying to create some false hype or speculative drive on the book.

Very possible. Could be why it's so easy to get copies now. It seems every dealer has plenty of #1's. Books are tougher to get starting at #11.

OS even notes lower print run or lower distribution around the middle issues. I wonder if that was due to the flood at Eclipse offices. Does anyone remember when that occured?

I'd say a HG copy is fairly common.

Super common. Outrageously common. Stacks of them sitting around to this day common. All of the early ones are. The end of the run more than makes up for it of course, especially #15 and #24 which are super tough.