• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Copper Age Books by OS Price

45 posts in this topic

I don't know too much about the independents, but Spidey 300 is easily the best of the Marvel/DCs at $90 in this years guide. Star Wars 107 (last issue) is listed at $65 because of low distribution. I grew up in a small town in the midwest and I bought SW 107 at a drugstore. A friend also bought it-at a bookstore (I now own both copies) so I don't know how the low the distribution was. Maybe compared to other mid 80s Marvels but if it was readily available in my town I wonder how many copies went to LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. Most of the other Marvel/DC Copper 'keys' are in the $40-$50 range--Dark Knight, Hulk 340, X-Men 266, Spidey 298, Wolverine 1. I think some of the Gladstone Disneys can fetch a bit too

Miracleman #1 Variant (easily the top $$$ book)

Is it fair to include variants? I mean, their scarcity and resulting value is completely artificial.

We excluded variants when we did the "most expensive 90s books right now" thread in the modern forum. That was based on raw NM market rate and not OS price.

Actually that flood story sounds familiar, more so around issue #1. I just think the readership dropped after the hype died down, thus creating the lower print runs on the later issues.

============

As I recall, it was more of inconsistent shipping (particularly between issues 7-10) that caused readers to drop the book & thus lead to dwindling print runs. There were terrible delays in the book even before Totleben's run. It took forever for #9 to come out. Issues 11-13 seemed to come out somewhat on schedule & then the delays came & got worse & worse until the reboot with #17. Then again, about 3-4 issues came out fairly well, on-time, and the delays began again, until #24 came out so late it was sometimes wondered if was even printed. Took me 12 years to run down a copy of #24 (of course, that was before this-here, new-fangled internet contraption got rolling & that e-bay deal-e-o).

Star Wars: The reason of those copies being tougher to find is simply dwindling sales over a steady period, until it was cancelled. SW had a nice creative bump after the 2nd movie (issues 39-43), which ran to about issue 70 - Walt Simonson did some nice work on the book during this period. After that, though, the creativity went down & readers left. Believe me, some of those last (15 or so) SW issues S-U-C-K.

893blahblah.gif

What is this, "Troll Chrisco Day"? First Chrome, now you....my best buddies have turned against me. frown.gif

You & FFB will soon enough see the true power of Comic-God, Alan Moore, once you read the soon to be (re)printed Trades of the greatest comic saga of all time!

Then you can apologize.

Many of the lower numbered Miracleman issues did indeed get shorter print runs, although not so much that any of them should be considered rare.

No. 15 is a tough issue to find, although if you look on eBay, you'll find a few. Now, issues 23 and 24 are even rarer than 15. Those were published around the time Eclipse was going out of business.

The absolute rarest of Miracleman collectibles is the 2-D 3-D edition, which was a copy of the regular 3-D edition printed without the 3-D effects. It was made up for colorblind readers who wouldn't be able to see the art if it were still in blue and red. There is an estimated 200-800 copies of this book. One sold on eBay about two years ago for somewhere around $450, if I remember correctly.

Miracleman 13-16 are fairly tough to find. Issue 20 took me the longest and I'm not really sure why, although the print runs were declining at that time.

And I do believe there was a problem with a lot of the No. 1s being damaged. Nearly every copy I've seen has a crease near the right upper side of the cover just under the logo. It's definitely a printing error and both of my copies of the Gold and my copy of the Blue had this. Even my 9.6 graded copy has the crease. Every owner I've spoken with about the Gold and Blue copies say theirs has the crease.

Oh yeah, I got $1500 in trade for one of my copies of the MM Gold 1, so, yes, this book is definitely worth way over the 1K mark.

This one is moving along nicely: Miracleman 15 CGC 9.8

Still has not hit the reserve though.

Auction ended at $381.51 - Reserve Not Met. Wonder what the reserve was set at? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hmmm....probably $500. Well, we know what the "market" thinks of this book. Now maybe I can lowba....I mean, make an offer to Foolkiller for his 9.6. tongue.gif

The MM 3D 2D is most definitely the rarest MM item in existence. I've been collecting MM items for years and have only ever seen one on ebay once.

I understood there was only around a 100 printed though.

Since the covers are identical, I suspect some 2Ds have appeared but no-one realises the significance. Indeed, you may have one in your collection now! (Sell it to me if you have - I'll pay $500!).

Miracleman's actually first appeared in the UK Marvel title, "Daredevils", in issue 7. This predated the Warrior issues. I have a copy in VF.

Arguably, there's an even earlier appearance in the UK Marvel title "Marvel Super Heroes" issues 387 and 388. THe name "Miracleman" is mentioned and appears on a tombstone. These are rarer as f***ery and I have neither!

A1 issue 1 featuring the Warpsmiths is quite scarce especially in high grade - but you should be able to get one. I think this an underrated book.

23 and 24 are scarce as their print-runs were under 8,000 - a lot less than 15.

In the Marvel Universe proper, Miracleman first appeared in X-Men Archives featuring Captain Britain 4, which reprinted Daredevils 7.

Hey, Ewan, what about the Miracleman T-shirt sold by Eclipse several years ago? How rare is that and do you have one?

Well then - X-Men Archives Featuring Captain Britain 2 reprinted Marvel Super Heroes 387 and 388, so if we're REALLY going to nit, that's the first one. Jinkies!

Well that's two new things I've learnt today - I'll have to get Archives no.2 and I hadn't heard of the T-shirt either... what does it look like?

Eclipse also did a square MM badge too?

Anything else you know of?

Just got the new "A1 Sketchbook" with a fantastic new MM / KM cover by Garry Leach.

BTW, there's a MM Gold on ebay now...

First question, what was the defect in asm 300?

Lots of copies have a jagged cut down the right side. It's fairly common on this issue. CGC has stated they do not downgrade for this defect.

Glad I read this thread. I was looking at the right edge of my ASM 300 the other day and I was wondering why it was cut so roughly. I actually thought it might be a poor trim job of an overhang or something. So thanks! thumbsup2.gif