• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Albedo #1 & #2 Club
5 5

439 posts in this topic

I’m following you on Instagram, your collection is a sight to see! I’m guessing you’re not interested in selling one? lol

No longer going to bars, sports events, stores, etc I finally have the disposable income to try to get this grail, but it looks like there are a lot of people in the same boat. Anyone know of any upcoming auctions or sales?

On 2/1/2021 at 8:27 PM, Crimebuster said:

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but Usagi Yojimbo Summer Special #1 is the more important book. (shrug) Don't get me wrong, Usagi #1 is also cool, but not as cool.. 

What happens when they figure this out? I agree that Summer Special 1 is my favorite of the two.

usagi 1.jpg

I’ve noticed that on the cgc label it lists Usagi #1 as first Usagi issue in his own title, but it should be first ongoing title as the summer special predates it by 9 months.

I ended up with multiple copies of issue 1 when I was a kid tracking down back issues at comic stores. I got 2 near complete fantagraphics runs for under $25 from 2 different stores in 2 different time periods (late 90s and early 2010s). The summer special I only ever saw once (90s) and it was while on vacation and I had to pay $25 for it by itself. So maybe that’s why I still value it more, hard to shake old habits.

Holy cow, the first Albedo 9.0 is up to $8400!  :whatthe:

Interestingly, there's a second 9.0 up a few days later. Wonder how the first sale will affect the second one.

Edited by Legion HQ

On 4/27/2021 at 8:51 PM, Legion HQ said:

Holy cow, the first Albedo 9.0 is up to $8400!  :whatthe:

Interestingly, there's a second 9.0 up a few days later. Wonder how the first sale will affect the second one.

That Albedo 2 9.0 ended at 9650!

The Albedo 2 8.5 ended at 8100!

There still one more 9.0 Albedo 2 left. 

On 3/5/2021 at 2:13 PM, PKJ said:

What happens when they figure this out? I agree that Summer Special 1 is my favorite of the two.

usagi 1.jpg

One thing I wanted to mention about this issue is that it is considered to officially be the first issue of the ongoing series by Stan Sakai. 

This is a distinction that may be too fine for casual readers or collectors. But given the constant reboots and relaunches that are commonplace in comics now, "1st Issue of the ongoing series" kind of loses its importance when there are several ongoing series. This is of course true of Usagi Yojimbo which is now on its 4th ongoing iteration, so there are four #1s not even counting the Summer Special. 

Marvel addresses this with their legacy numbering, so no matter how many Avengers #1s come out, you can easily see what the real, first one is.

What most people probably don't know or care about is that Usagi Yojimbo also has legacy numbering. It's on the inside of the book. Here's a recent issue:

20210719_150124.thumb.jpg.182420255980be16638979bbd7f66d72.jpg

Under this numbering, Usagi Yojimbo Summer Special #1 is the first issue. Usagi Yojimbo #1 (1987) is the second issue. 

I doubt most people care or that this will move the needle on price, but I think it's important!

On 11/29/2021 at 12:16 AM, OtherEric said:

Today's silly question:  Where does the Critters #1 fall in the order of early appearances?

I believe it's his 4th appearance? Following Albedo #2-4. 

Also 1st appearance of Gen. 

Very underrated book in my opinion. 

Edited by Crimebuster

On 11/29/2021 at 9:16 AM, Crimebuster said:

I believe it's his 4th appearance? Following Albedo #2-4. 

Also 1st appearance of Gen. 

Very underrated book in my opinion. 

Thank you.  I've got Albedo 3 and Critters 1, so at least I've got something.  Not likely to ever officially join the club here, though.