• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Albedo #1 & #2 Club
5 5

439 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Just remember what happened to Nelson Bunker Hunt and his brothers on Silver Thursday after they tried to corner the silver market back in 1979/80.  :tonofbricks:

Hopefully, they won't have a special day set aside for Albedo 2 Day in the historical annals of the comic book marketplace.  lol

Refresh me with the story. I don't believe I've heard of it before

39 minutes ago, GoldenAgeAddict said:
46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Just remember what happened to Nelson Bunker Hunt and his brothers on Silver Thursday after they tried to corner the silver market back in 1979/80.  :tonofbricks:

Hopefully, they won't have a special day set aside for Albedo 2 Day in the historical annals of the comic book marketplace.  lol

I just brought together a horde simply because I love the cover

Well, I don't think you'll have anything to worry abount unless you get to something like 1,500 copies of this book here.  :takeit:

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
51 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Refresh me with the story. I don't believe I've heard of it before

Ask and ye shall receive:  (thumbsu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday

14 hours ago, Spikenector said:

Just got in the signed foil copy! Thing is a beauty!

IMG_6954.JPG

IMG_6953.JPG

IMG_6956.JPG

Is the interior from Albedo 2 or the updated story from the new Usagi 6? The website wasn't clear. I guess I'll find out tomorrow either way when my copy arrives. 

30 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Is the interior from Albedo 2 or the updated story from the new Usagi 6? The website wasn't clear. I guess I'll find out tomorrow either way when my copy arrives. 

It's from Usagi 6, was hoping for Albedo 2 but still this is one beautiful cover!

On 5/19/2019 at 4:12 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's crazy. Who has the kind of money to spend $20k+ on a comic book from 1984, and of those who do, who would be interested in doing so?

I love Usagi...fantastic character...but how can this book be worth $20,000+?

A mere 20 years ago, that amount of money would have bought you a beat up 'Tec #27....or a quite nice VF AF #15.

I've just come across this too.  I looked at GoCollect for a quick price guide, and I thought it was a massive error!  It's just a staggering price point.

On 12/22/2019 at 7:34 PM, SpideyFein said:

Hey guys and gals, check this out! 
https://www.dogu.co/product/foil-variant-of-the-first-usagi-yojimbo-cover/

Sakai is releasing a foil variant, “virgin” style of Albedo 2. I had to get one. I wanted to order a remarked copy as well, but like the cover in its natural form. 
@GoldenAgeAddict

@Turtle
@Ryan.

Just ordered mine.  Can't wait, but I'm going to have to.

I bought my #2 here over 10 years ago.

On 4/28/2020 at 5:19 PM, Microchip said:
On 5/18/2019 at 11:12 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's crazy. Who has the kind of money to spend $20k+ on a comic book from 1984, and of those who do, who would be interested in doing so?

I love Usagi...fantastic character...but how can this book be worth $20,000+?

A mere 20 years ago, that amount of money would have bought you a beat up 'Tec #27....or a quite nice VF AF #15.

I've just come across this too.  I looked at GoCollect for a quick price guide, and I thought it was a massive error!  It's just a staggering price point.

Which book are you guys referring to here because when I click on the link, it indicates a final price of $31,000 and not the $20,000+ price point you are talking about.  ???

Either way, it's really has much more to do with respect to the CGC 9.8 label than the actual book itself.  You have to understand that this book was auctioned off on CL which is the go to venue of choice for the CGC label chasers and Registry points chasers who literally shoots their load off whenever Josh mentions anything like CGC Highest Graded copy in his auction description.  :gossip:

Doesn't even matter if it's highest graded one of many which it actually is in this case with 8 copies already at this grade level, with no doubt more to come as there is a whole ton of them slabbed already in CGC 9.6 and CGC 9.4 graded condition just waiting to be lovingly hugged and squeezed until they reach this same cherished 9.8 condition grade level. :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Which book are you guys referring to here because when I click on the link, it indicates a final price of $31,000 and not the $20,000+ price point you are talking about.  ???

Either way, it's really has much more to do with respect to the CGC 9.8 label than the actual book itself.  You have to understand that this book was auctioned off on CL which is the go to venue of choice for the CGC label chasers and Registry points chasers who literally shoots their load off whenever Josh mentions anything like CGC Highest Graded copy in his auction description.  :gossip:

Doesn't even matter if it's highest graded one of many which it actually is in this case with 8 copies already at this grade level, with no doubt more to come as there is a whole ton of them slabbed already in CGC 9.6 and CGC 9.4 graded condition just waiting to be lovingly hugged and squeezed until they reach this same cherished 9.8 condition grade level. :devil:

I think your points are barely on the mark here.  There's nothing of on-going character value happening at the moment.  The 'grail book' status is driving things off the charts at the moment.  I just saw the result for the FF #49 CGC 9.8 at $115,00 today.   It leaves the 9.0-9.4 light years apart.   And you it comes across the board now in the modern books, where 9.9-10.0's going for +$10,000 prices, when the readily available 9.8's are still $500 or less.

Albedo is still leading the charge though, the recent Clink results were just mind boggling.   There's another #2 CGC 9.6 coming up on Heritage. It'll be interesting to see the result, as it's a very different audience over there.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 6.19.29 pm.png

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Thats a ballsey game to play, with the money and time needed to make that work.   Oh I'm sure there's plenty out there doing it, but it's surely a fine line between success and failure.

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I've never seen an ALBEDO 2 raw before... what's the story in it?  I own a few phone books but don't know which story was contained in Albedo 2.

I don't think the story has ever been reprinted?  I believe the plates or original artwork was done with an ink that doesn't allow that or something?  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will clarify.

I believe this edition was just to generate cash, but it's cool none the less.